General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Vaguely wonder what caused it and if it's what ruined his filmmaking.

He's fat, eats poo, and gets little to no exercise? Like many other westerners these days?

He doesn't look unhealthy to you? He has to me for many years.

Also, widowmaker....

Did his lifestyle choices ruin his film making? A very plausible theory.

Yoga Hosers just struck me as something fun he wanted to do with his daughter, so I don't really hold it against him. Like many in Hollywood, once you hit the big time it can be difficult to recapture the magic that made you stand out. I don't expect anymore Clerks/Mallrats/Dogma moments from him, but he still does a great job telling stories in his podcasts and comedy specials.

But yeah, he's only 47. He should have another couple decades if he can change some health habits.

Vaguely wonder what caused it and if it's what ruined his filmmaking.

If you have a heart defect or predisposition to heart disease it quite often shows up in your 40s. There's an actual scientific reason for that, since by that age most men have fathered their children there's no evolutionary pressure against it. As others have mentioned being fat and not exercising much are also red flags.

Have to admit that I still think of Xena/ Hercules Kevin Smith (Ares) every time the director is mentioned; and he died nearly 20 years ago now after falling off a tower while filming in China.

Edited by Zoraptor

Damn, didn't know he was dead. I always liked watching Hercules / Xena back in the days (both shows were running back to back). It was cheesy as hell, but also had something to it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just happened to look up David Ogden Stiers about an hour or two ago, on IMDB... and it says that he passed away—today. :(

Noo he's one of my favourite voice actors! RIP.

RIP the spambots that get the touch of death from liking the thread.

I don't know why they do it. They even like moderator thread starters. It's like moths to a flame.

Roger Bannister died. Teacher used to use him as motivational example

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008

RIP Stephen Hawking

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.”

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And of course, if you write it the American way.. doesn't that mean he died on 3.14...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We seem to have increasingly few celebrated scientific minds out there, when there used to be so many. I don't know if that's because there are simply less of them (I would hope this is not the case), or because their time and services are more and more monopolized by governments and corporations. Hawking was rather unique for his incredible story of perseverance, too. RIP.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Pi Day celebrates pi.  One of the numbers you can't escape from if you do university math, along with Euler's number   Some fools want to celebrate Tau day, because they think 2pi is more relevant.

3.14. Pi. March 14th. Coincidentally, Albert Einstein was born on March 14th.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.