You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

I'm a good swimmer but I cant say Ive ever swam 1.5km (.9 mile) non-stop. Id probably die. :lol:

That's only about 1600 yards. It sounds long, but really it is just about 30-45 minutes of steady pacing. That's about 2-3 minutes every 100 yards.

I kind of see the swim as the easiest to train because there is little wear and tear on the body. It's strictly about building up the endurance to maintain the pace (access to a pool is another matter.) The bike is the hardest for me. I mean, I know how to ride a bike, but I have no idea about all this strategy stuff and I barely understand how my bike works. There are a lot of gears and places to put my hands. :p

Edited by Hurlshot

Swimming is just about getting your rhythm down. Admittedly I was a sprinter not a distance swimmer (Regional champ for Butterfly when I was 15), but in general you did best when you got yourself into that rhythm because all you focus on is the strokes and breathing, rather than figuring out who's along side you. 

I know that's TOTALLY going to help with a Triathalon where you have to know where the bouy is to turn around.

Managed to get my office to hit three of the four key performance indicators for the first time all year. Hopefully I get props for that but who knows.

• Like 4

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Could still get lucky with a temp. bounce-back recovery, but I may need a new cat soon, my current one seems to have finally "broken" to his long-term disease, pretty badly this week. :/  Whatever the case, at least he got 2-3 extra years with the treatments etc. He is going on 12 now so it's not like he's super young. Still ... even when it's 18+ years, it's never long enough. And I only had Mr. Black since he was around 6 (Humane Society adoptee).

Other than, a lazy relaxing holiday week.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Could still get lucky with a temp. bounce-back recovery, but I may need a new cat soon, my current one seems to have finally "broken" to his long-term disease, pretty badly this week. :/  Whatever the case, at least he got 2-3 extra years with the treatments etc. He is going on 12 now so it's not like he's super young. Still ... even when it's 18+ years, it's never long enough. And I only had Mr. Black since he was around 6 (Humane Society adoptee).

Yeah. Never long enough.

I volunteered this morning from 0645-1300 at Lifestream. I actually like volunteering on the holidays. The donor center is closed, but the lab and delivery are open. Made several stock deliveries and one stat delivery today.

χαίρετε

Sad to hear that. He's been a fixture of your posts and I can imagine it's going to be rough to see him in pain when his time is coming, to say nothing of the great big hole in your life when he's gone. Still I'm sure in his own way he's grateful for having taken him when you did and cared for him all these years.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Trying to get in the right frame of mind to finish off a technical report due in on Friday.

Plus I need to actually draft up my pilot questionnaire for my research outline paper in the next few days....

I might even hit you all for the actual questionnaire in a month or two.

The contrast between university students, mature university students...and the Obsidian forumites..... That might provide interesting results.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's too cold to work so I'm trying to pay for classes between watching shows.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Cold Creek froze this morning. Completely iced over. Now that is impressive. And only the second time it's happened since I lived here.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

RIP to my footwarmer cat. :(

mrblack-304.jpg

Hubby has wanted to go on a "real" vacation for a while but sick kitty made it hard for me to travel far. I guess we can go now. But I told him he better do it within 6 months or sooner, because no matter how often I say "I'm done with owning/taking care of cats/pets" I find I'm awfully prone to suddenly showing up at our door one day with a new cat...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hit the pool early this morning for the first time. I haven't done much in the way of laps in a few years, and even then it was once in a blue moon, so I've got my work cut out for me. The problem is I am totally comfortable doing the breast stroke and could coast through the 1200 meters for the sprint triathlon that way, but I know front crawl (freestyle) is a good 10-15 seconds faster every 100 meters. That's a couple minutes over the course of the race, but right now I can't do more than 50 meters front crawl without gasping for breathe.

Just need to train and get my rhythm down. 

I did run 4 miles today at a 7:48 mile pace, so that felt good.

edit: Sorry to hear about your cat LC. I don't know how I missed that before I posted. :(

Edited by Hurlshot

Sorry to hear that, LC :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

RIP to my footwarmer cat. :(

mrblack-304.jpg

Hubby has wanted to go on a "real" vacation for a while but sick kitty made it hard for me to travel far. I guess we can go now. But I told him he better do it within 6 months or sooner, because no matter how often I say "I'm done with owning/taking care of cats/pets" I find I'm awfully prone to suddenly showing up at our door one day with a new cat...

Sorry, LadyCrimson. :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,

For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,

Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,

Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,

And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,

Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.

Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,

And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,

And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,

And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;

One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,

And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die. John Donne

Amazing how much our beasts become our family, especially for those of us not lucky enough to have children?

χαίρετε

Sorry to hear that LC, condolences.

My level of frustration is growing.

Banging my head on Orange. I thought it was a simple thing to do, but I import my csv, and instead of useful data it's turning into complete gibberish. My time stamp while in the correct format of yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss only shows up on the various plots as Time(x1e+09) ... which really doesn't give you a clue.

I am about ready to chew through my keyboard, because I simply want to plot time stamps to rfid being used and door opening and closing and it just keeps giving me a mess that means nothing. I should be able to simply plug it into the right widgets, but nada seems to work. >_<

Right, venting frustration done and accomplished.

I shall have a cup of tea and then attempt to slay this dragon once again over the afternoon.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."