You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

Last day of work before I head to Florida for Xmas. After work it's straight to the car wash, then a quick trip to Walmart to pick up some wrapping paper, since I ran out with 2 boxes left to wrap (doh). Then I'm going to sleep for a few hours before waking up around 2 am to start my 11 to 12 hour drive.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Don't feel like playing games, nothing on TV, hubby's going to be gone until late-night, and I guess I've lost too much weight (padding) because I'm constantly cold even tho this is Calif. Which makes the old cat happy because the wall heater is always jacked up to 74F and he's curled against it all day. Maybe I'll take his cue and go back to bed.

@Keyrock - can I come to FL with you? It sounds warm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last day of work before I head to Florida for Xmas. After work it's straight to the car wash, then a quick trip to Walmart to pick up some wrapping paper, since I ran out with 2 boxes left to wrap (doh). Then I'm going to sleep for a few hours before waking up around 2 am to start my 11 to 12 hour drive.

Why would you get the car washed just before a long drive?  Seems rather like making one's bed at 10PM. 

Anyhow, safe travels.  That's a long trip to attempt on limited sleep. 

@Keyrock - can I come to FL with you? It sounds warm.

How far is Candyland from Charlotte?

Why would you get the car washed just before a long drive?  Seems rather like making one's bed at 10PM. 

It was the only time I've had since Saturday to wash it and I hate it when my car is dirty.  It will get dirty during the trip, but it will still be cleaner than if I hadn't washed it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

heh, my neighbors told me to go outside to see an extremely weird light in the sky. Turned out to be the iridium 4 launch, but it was really weird looking, I tell you! I took a video. I've seen several test launches over the years, but this was really weird looking. My neighbor didn't recognize it and he worked on earlier versions of iridium.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

Walked out of a store at the exact perfect time to see this:

X0dhq1b.jpg

SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, by the way. Someone getting out of a parked car coming from the other way gave me a weird look as I had my phone out, to which I wordlessly pointed at the sky behind him. What he exclaimed should probably not be repeated on this board.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 6
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Off work for the holidays so I decided to "treat myself" to some 12yo Macallan scotch. Now I don't know jack about Scotch so I just grabbed the oldest stuff that was still in my price range and went over to my neighbors for a night of garage drinking. Man am I in the hurt locker today. Cottonmouth...throbbing headache...feels like I slept on a pile of rocks. I need coffee and a 10 hour nap. :lol:

• Like 1

Off work for the holidays so I decided to "treat myself" to some 12yo Macallan scotch. Now I don't know jack about Scotch so I just grabbed the oldest stuff that was still in my price range and went over to my neighbors for a night of garage drinking. Man am I in the hurt locker today. Cottonmouth...throbbing headache...feels like I slept on a pile of rocks. I need coffee and a 10 hour nap. :lol:

See, this is why drinking is overrated :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today my 7-year old son asked for a sandwich, and I told him to make it himself. After a bit of discussion, it became clear that we have been pampering our youngest for too long. I walked him into the kitchen and went over the process. His dexterity with a butter knife is terrible. This is a kid that can handle a mouse and keyboard for gaming and can play ice hockey, so the capability is there, but with a Grandma, big sister, and mom all making him whatever he wants, he has put no time in. So I explained in video game terms that he needs to grind out some dexterity points and starting making a couple sandwiches a day.  :no:

• Like 4

I can always remember getting the explanation of "It's simply good tactics for a man to learn how to cook. When you date, the key point is getting them over to your place at the end of the night. If you cook, you invite them around for a dinner at your place so the night starts with them already there. Then you'll just get bonus points for being able to cook well before you even have to do anything else. It takes the stress off both of you, and you can simply enjoy the conversation and see how it goes."

Of course, that side of it you'll probably want to wait a decade or so before you try that on him Hurl.. ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why would you want them at your place at the end of the night. Good way to get robbed.

Best reason to cook is to just be able to feed yourself. Self reliance and all

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently am doing well at the whole "being the boss" thing. Even though I'm pulling 60 hour weeks attempting to ensure that my office doesn't fall apart.

ALone for the holidays (what's new) and the rum is kicking in. God I've turned into a lightweight. (admittedly I never was a heavy weight, but... who counts?)

• Like 4

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Volunteered for six hours at Lifestream driving blood to hospitals. At least this time I didn't end up with the big van. On the other hand, I've been stuck with the big van enough that I think I prefer it over the smaller SUVs. You can see over everything except semis in the damned thing.

χαίρετε

Working from home today, so am watching the prequel trilogy to make it more painful

• Like 1

I didn't spend anything this Xmas .... since I spent too much before Xmas.

Woke up late, showered, puttered around outside, ate lunch.

Me: Going to game.

Hubby: I could bring in a bunch of blankets into your cold room and come watch. (eg, he's bored)

Me: Just try not to snore too loudly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My nephews all wanted to get pedicures so I treated them for Christmas. All four of us went to the nail salon yesterday and got our nails done. First and probably last time for me. Felt good, but it's the kind of frivolity in which I do not indulge. Anyway, my wife was griping at me about it before hand in the store and I couldn't answer her questions. Finally, I said, "I'm sorry, my dear. I'm from a generation where men didn't get pedicures. I simply don't know!" This lady standing a few feet away started to guffaw.

However, since I was there already and the wife loves purple, I had my nails done with a purple nail polish. They had me wear these flimsy pink flip flops and I wore them into the restaurant the lads, their mom, the wife, and I customed afterwards. I changed to shoes once we were seated, though. Damned flip flops were not for walking.

This morning, when I got out of bed, I looked down and saw my purple toe nails and remembered. Looks goofy as hell, but was good for a laugh I guess. Everyone else got a kick. The lads didn't get colored nails.

χαίρετε

I remember my first pedicure, it was maybe 2007 and I was on liberty in Qatar but stuck on base because it was Ramadan. I had nothing better to do since all off base excursions had been cancelled or severely limited so I figured why not try out the base spa. My feet were bruised and calloused from stomping around in boots all the time and it was not a fun experience. I think I've only had one or two in the 10 years since. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was very dubious about the memory palace technique but this stuff actually works. Initially it seems a giant waste of time but I tested it on the entire list of French monarchs and their years of reign. It worked out.

Humanity could actually be mentats.

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

So I've locked down my Triathlon schedule for the year. I've got a Duathlon in March which should be pretty simple. It is a 2-mile run, 10 mile bike, and then another 2-mile run. I could do that tomorrow, but the key will be to train so my second run time is decent after rubbery bike legs. Then in May I do a Sprint Triathlon, and the biggest hurdle there should be making sure I get in the pool enough to not die in the swim.

In July I want to be ready for an Olympic Triathlon, so I figure the first two events will prepare me well.  :wowey: