A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the (Obsidian) Forum

Amentep

Kind of funny that talking to strangers is imposing yourself these days :)

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems like there is a pretty decent sized chasm between polite conversation on the street and catcalling.

Yeah but I wouldn't talk to a dude in prison about anything :p
  • Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But what if you are bored in prison? Not even then? I mean if you're catcalling a woman and then go to prison for 10 years because of sexual harassment, you won't talk to your cell inmates for 10 years? That's hard to achieve. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

But what if you are bored in prison? Not even then? I mean if you're catcalling a woman and then go to prison for 10 years because of sexual harassment, you won't talk to your cell inmates for 10 years? That's hard to achieve. :>

That joke only makes sense if you assume that the world is a hostile place for women and that every man wants to forcibly have sex with them. It is a premise as ridiculous as straight men assuming that every gay guy they meet wants to bugger their bum. Except, assuming one is homophobia but so far society doesn't care about androphobia and rather listen to what is a very minimal disturbed section of womankind.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

As the joke goes - you can say what you'd want a guy to say to you - as in, normal human interaction is cool, flirty without being a creep is too - but aggressive sexual advances are not.

Fortune favors the bald.

???

Well we don't have to **** foot around anything, because it's clear what your hesitation is related to. It's funny because of the unfortunate merging of themes in an innocuous happenstance. Don't tell me you think the joke is in confirming stereotypes? It's in the dramatic irony of a classic gag taking on an unintended layers, and the misfortune of the accident.

Outraged by the high charges that the computer service wanted for repair work, one employee asked her co-worker which service she used.
"My sons," was the reply. "They both have degrees in Computer Science."
"So you get that kind of work done for nothing," the friend marveled.
The co-worker smiled. "Actually, I figured that it cost me about $140,000 for my kids to fix my computer for free."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

???

Well we don't have to **** foot around anything, because it's clear what your hesitation is related to. It's funny because of the unfortunate merging of themes in an innocuous happenstance. Don't tell me you think the joke is in confirming stereotypes? It's in the dramatic irony of a classic gag taking on an unintended layers, and the misfortune of the accident.

I'm missing context here. I see a guy pretending to pick something up off the floor and then he drops something for real. I assume the punchline as is to do with whatever he drops, but I can't tell what it is.

???

I'm missing context here. I see a guy pretending to pick something up off the floor and then he drops something for real. I assume the punchline as is to do with whatever he drops, but I can't tell what it is.

I legit laughed out load, so your confusion was literally with what the joke even is. I thought your concern was it being in poor taste.

So the classic gag is gluing a quarter to the floor, so when someone tries to pick it up they can't. When this guy get's fooled, his kippah also falls off.

• Like 1

???

I legit laughed out load, so your confusion was literally with what the joke even is. I thought your concern was it being in poor taste.

So the classic gag is gluing a quarter to the floor, so when someone tries to pick it up they can't. When this guy get's fooled, his kippah also falls off.

This seems like a pretty good lesson about assumptions.  :)

• Like 1

So, basically don't talk to women at all in the street.

I generally don't talk to anyone (regardless of their sex) on the street unless I'm asking for help, or there is something to collectively comment on that is external to both participants. Like a dog holding up traffic or something. Seems to be pretty general social practice. I think day to day there isn't much reason to impose yourself out of the blue on a stranger.

In my visits to the US I was surprised at how often this practice was broken/ignored. In DC at least, people seemed uncannily open to initiating conversation with any stranger on the street.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So, basically don't talk to women at all in the street.

I generally don't talk to anyone (regardless of their sex) on the street unless I'm asking for help, or there is something to collectively comment on that is external to both participants. Like a dog holding up traffic or something. Seems to be pretty general social practice. I think day to day there isn't much reason to impose yourself out of the blue on a stranger.

In my visits to the US I was surprised at how often this practice was broken/ignored. In DC at least, people seemed uncannily open to initiating conversation with any stranger on the street.

Honestly, I can't recall ever talking to or being talked to by a random person on the street unless one of us needed directions.  Well, if you discount screaming bums.  But I'm pretty anti-social and tend to wear my "stay away from me" face whenever I'm in public.

From my many years working retail, I find myself greeting and asking how total strangers are doing out in public. Ive accepted the fact it's a reflex now that I have no intention of correcting simply because the reactions I get from people make it worthwhile and interesting. From flat out ignored, to surprise defensive, annoyance, and happy to be noticed.

Tbh I think alot of our culture and racial misunderstandings come from wrong impressions/ideas that aren't debunked because we don't actually communicate with other people in real life.

• Like 1

DMfQkPLW4AATq9P.jpg

• Like 6

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.