The US Election 2016, Part VIII

Pidesco

Preparing for the 2016 post-election party:

DSCF5849.jpg

Is this real? Its impressive 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can't stock MREs?

Other than being the best recipe against constipation, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Based on my own experiences in the military.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Can't stock MREs?

I've eaten enough of those f-----g things for one lifetime!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Preparing for the 2016 post-election party:

DSCF5849.jpg

Is this real? Its impressive 

It's real I guess. It was on a website I was reading an article on. AllOutdoor.com

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can't stock MREs?

Isn't it illegal to sell those?

Edit: apparently only if you're serving in the military. Guess you learn something new every day.

Didn't think it was, seen videos of people reviewing them and so on.

GD, stock other militaries' MREs :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can't stock MREs?

Isn't it illegal to sell those?

Edit: apparently only if you're serving in the military. Guess you learn something new every day.

Didn't think it was, seen videos of people reviewing them and so on.

GD, stock other militaries' MREs :D

The only other one I've had was the one the ROK Marines use.... it's sooooo much worse! They will trade a LOT for an American MRE. I traded two for a guys dress uniform buckle. It's cool, it has the ROK Marine Corps emblem on it.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Obama is a half-witted fool. We do not want Russia as an enemy right now. This shows how reckless and idiotic the democrats are behaving.

He's going after Russia because they tried to help Republicans. Republicans are his one true enemy in the world.

Not being in the know a lot of our foreign policy looks half witted  :shrugz:

Also being in the know. As Nasser once said, - we're never sure if your foreign policy is really stupid, or so brilliantly complex that it only appears stupid to us; - or something to that effect.

Leaking an actual planned cyberstrike certainly would be pretty stupid, especially if you've been playing up such things being acts of war. In this case leaking it was probably most of the point and it's just a warning/ tough talk though.

I'd rather suspect that Russia could do a lot more damage to the US with cyber warfare than vice versa, a lot of russian stuff isn't even integrated into the internet and as ex KGB Putin is pretty retentive about not sticking stuff onto computers for the sake of it.

Considering Kaspersky anti-virus is on every other machine, and is being run out of Moscow, I'd say that's highly likely.

I loved the whole Ken Bone story, it was a nice distraction from the terrible election.  It's sad that we live in a world where as soon as someone gets a little bit of positive attention, others look to tear that person down.  I suppose it is a good lesson to be careful with social media.  I mean none of the stuff they dredged up on him is actually all that wild, but I doubt any of us want every post we've ever made combed through with a fine tooth comb.

The only reason the media ever builds someone up is so they can tear him down later.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

what actual happened were zor suggesting that the hundreds of billions in foreign currency assets russia possessed would allow them to laugh at the currency crisis, and that russian retributive food sanctions wouldn't hurt russians. were also some nice hypothesizing 'bout food alternatives from china and brazil.  used bloomberg graphic 'bout relative currency strengths he complete misread, seeing as how russian currency were hit far worse than other oil dependent nations during a similar period o' time.

Well, (1) they've 'laughed' (heh, you never could provide a quote where I actually said anything of the sort though) at sanctions for twice as long as you predicted, so I'm still currently right while you've been outright wrong for a year; (2) they have a large agricultural surplus, and more homegrown industries as a result (3) were hit less hard than some other oil based currencies- for those capable of actually reading graphs- and had a currency drop very similar during the previous oil price drop- for those able to read graphs.

Sorry though, I didn't bring it up to humiliate you, it's just that- oddly enough- a whole lot of those '6-12 month' articles have started popping up again, which I find highly amusing given how poor (and generally forgotten) the last set of such articles were and the general theme of media propagated/ generated propaganda prevalent in the election.

That goes both ways.. But, hey, let's defend the  one who laughs at 12 year old rape victims and blames them for their assault. She did so much damage to that kid that she felt the need to back Donald Trump. That is some scary ****.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Roger Cohen of the NY Times writes how a Trump Presidency heralds the dawn of a dictatorship: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/15/opinion/how-dictatorships-are-born.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

If so perhaps it will make the typically freedom-averse Democrats re-think their stance on private ownership of firearms. After all, the government seizing all means of resistance and imposing it's will on the people through subjugation and a monopoly of force is only fun when it's YOUR team doing it. 

Thomas Sowell

More nonsensical dictatorship talk. LMAO Who is the fearmonger and who is the fearmongered? LMAO

This is the same nonsense the media spread about our former PM in order to oust him. Such a dictator. Got voted out and walked away peacefully. I heard the same talk about George Bush too. Yup, walked away. Man. Those dictators. they don't make them like the used to. :p

Whining about 'violent' Trump supporters and ignoring video after video of Democrats  killing other Democrats and Republicans. L0LZ

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The WSJ has a great piece on the press ignoring the content on the wiki-leaks releases: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-press-buries-hillary-clintons-sins-1476401308

It's a funny thing about the skeletons in the closet. When they get let out the Democrats and the media (essentially the same thing I know) want us to be mad at who opened the closet door. 

I want to know why there were so many f-----g skeletons in that closet!

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

what actual happened were zor suggesting that the hundreds of billions in foreign currency assets russia possessed would allow them to laugh at the currency crisis, and that russian retributive food sanctions wouldn't hurt russians. were also some nice hypothesizing 'bout food alternatives from china and brazil.  used bloomberg graphic 'bout relative currency strengths he complete misread, seeing as how russian currency were hit far worse than other oil dependent nations during a similar period o' time.

Well, (1) they've 'laughed' (heh, you never could provide a quote where I actually said anything of the sort though) at sanctions for twice as long as you predicted, so I'm still currently right while you've been outright wrong for a year; (2) they have a large agricultural surplus, and more homegrown industries as a result (3) were hit less hard than some other oil based currencies- for those capable of actually reading graphs- and had a currency drop very similar during the previous oil price drop- for those able to read graphs.

Sorry though, I didn't bring it up to humiliate you, it's just that- oddly enough- a whole lot of those '6-12 month' articles have started popping up again, which I find highly amusing given how poor (and generally forgotten) the last set of such articles were and the general theme of media propagated/ generated propaganda prevalent in the election.

pretty much everything in the spoiler is wrong, which is why am confused if you thinks it would humiliate Gromnir to once again be offering to take a punch for putin's sake.  the situation has been devastating for russia and the Negative growth russia has endured the past two years will require a good number o' years o' positive growth to see russia fully recover.  sub 1% growth predictions is Not positive news. am not sure what articles you is reading, but russia were hit extreme hard and a currency collapse (the bloomberg graphic you used identified russia as having had the worst currency downfall o' any nation during the span o' time tracked, but the ruble did beat bitcoin, so...)  woulda' resulted in a quicker recovery, albeit with far different and equal devastating consequences. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69691-ukraine-discussion/page-13?do=findComment&comment=1569008

yes, being down to their last $367 billion actual were a problem and weren't funny at all, which is why putin started digging into pension funds o' all things. 

capital flight from russia has been incalculable... literal.  is so much shady russian business it becomes impossible to tell just how much money left russia, and prospects for increased foreign investment at this time is still extreme limited particular with at least a couple years o' stagnation being predicted, foreign sanctions in place, and an increasing unstable foreign relations picture developing.

in a more appropriate thread we would be happy to continue this all-too--familiar discussion. not much has actual changed, but it has arguable changed for the worse overall.  the russian economy is still mired in a framework which more closely resembles petroleum-based mercantilism than anything else.  the currency drop didn't actual result in russian domestic production marked increasing.  the poverty rate in russia has increased and those russian poor is now spending ~50% o' their retail income on food, a figure not helped at all by self-imposed sanctions o' food.  is not good for russia.  is not good for europe.  

just as russia weren't able to laugh off their currency woes 'cause o' their currency reserves, the russian economic situation still ain't funny.

again, 'cause bloomberg appears to be ok for zor

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-27/vladimir-putin-is-his-economy-s-worst-enemy

kinda off-topic though, so... knock yourself out.  am sure you can convince oby that all is well.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

edit picture

Considering his own history of groping women, perhaps it would be more appropriate just to keep quiet?

as much as our democrat friends hate to hear this, we do find a considerable amount o' hypocrisy coming from those who defended bill in spite of his questionable treatment o' women and their revulsion o' trump's behavior towards the fairer sex.  does not apply to all democrats, but those who were dismissive o' the bill clinton scandals regarding women should be speaking a bit more softly 'bout trump insofar as his treatment o' women is concerned.  but again, am speaking specific o' the treatment o' the ladies issues.  is a whole bunch o' other issues, no?

we got no problem with arnold rejecting trump.  our own concerns with trump's suitability to be President is less 'bout his unwholesome behavior towards women and more 'bout his complete misapprehension o' the role of President and the near total lack o' any kinda workable solutions to those problems he thinks is obvious.  trump, at best, is an elmer gantry kinda candidate.  arnold, as an extreme successful immigrant and republican, has a noteworthy pov regarding trump.  typical we put little stock in arnold pov as we share little in common with his values and perspective, but am not gonna outright dismiss arnold pov on current political issues anymore than we would dismiss bill clinton.  if the issue in question has to do with mistreatment o' women, then yeah, arnold and bill and donald is not gonna be role models.

'course so little 'bout this election is having anything to do with the actual qualifications and abilities o' the candidates.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To me Trump's alleged sexual assaults are the only issue right now. It's simply not acceptable to have someone who did that as president. I can overlook a lot of things, but that's a bridge too far. As I recall, even with Bill Clinton, the assault allegations did not come out until after he was re-elected.

• Like 4

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

To me Trump's alleged sexual assaults are the only issue right now. It's simply not acceptable to have someone who did that as president. I can overlook a lot of things, but that's a bridge too far. As I recall, even with Bill Clinton, the assault allegations did not come out until after he was re-elected.

That's very big of you, WoD.  I know we have a lot of disagreements on policies, but I admire that you are sticking to certain principals regardless of party lines.  

• Like 4

Whether or not sexual indiscretions are Un-American isn't really the issue here. The challenging of an integral part of the First Amendment, the slandering of the electoral process, the promise to go beyond the legal bounds of the Executive branch, and welcoming foreign intelligence services to interfere with the election on Trump's behalf is. If this is the Govenator's track, then I wholeheartedly agree.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It's a funny thing about the skeletons in the closet. When they get let out the Democrats and the media (essentially the same thing I know) want us to be mad at who opened the closet door. 

Apart from anything else they haven't produced a smoking gun and it isn't really news a revelation that Hillary and her campaign is full of crap. Ironically, it probably isn't damaging Hillary much because there isn't much of a good name to sully, and it isn't anywhere near as salacious as the Trump sex accusations.

For what it's worth Assange has basically said it was a leak rather than a hack, and strongly implied that it came from Seth Rich.

in a more appropriate thread we would be happy to continue this all-too--familiar discussion

I wouldn't. You didn't learn a single thing which makes it utterly pointless; to whit

those russian poor is now spending ~50% o' their retail income on food, a figure not helped at all by self-imposed sanctions o' food.

You never explained how imports would help when the currency has gone down which commensurately increases the price of those imports, you just insisted (and still insist) that somehow they'd help and basic economics doesn't apply. If the currency halves in value imported food costs double. That is basic economics, and imported food thus cannot help the poor. Still, it's definitely OT, and pointless to rehash.