The US Election 2016, Part VIII

Pidesco

Not to defend Trump but I don't recall Trump being associated with Thurmond in any way. And no there is no expiration so long as every republican candidate is immediately deemed racist by virtue of just being the republican candidate. Or did you not find the notion the Romney wanted to burn black churches (a pro-Obama PAC ad) or that McCain wanted to bring back slavery (from that intellectual titan Whoopi Goldberg) absurd? Now the candidates themselves don't engage in that kind of nastiness, they just step back and let the PACs and media do it for them. But they never speak against it and they had actual Klan members in their midst. David Duke renounced the Klan too. It was still pinned to him like a scarlet letter just like it should have been to Byrd. But it seems as long as you are on the right "team" you get a pass on past sins. 

Now I am certainly no Trump supporter. It seems I only support Republicans who have "R" in their names but as I said, double standards annoy me. 

But my favored political philosophy is not immune from the accusation: http://www.salon.com/2015/06/10/why_libertarianism_is_so_popular_on_the_right_its_the_last_bastion_of_white_male_dominance/

After all... it's not the right team.

Trump isn't deemed a racist because he's the Republican candidate. It's the other way around. He was already racist and he won the primary partly because of that.

No he won the Primary because he's "anti-establishment" and the Republican base is having a temper-tantrum this year. His nasty attitudes were either a throw-in or no one cared. I couldn't tell which was worse. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Remember kids, if you don't hate yourself, your values or your heritage you are a xenophobe then you are a racist. Preserving anything immaterial or material from your parents or grandparents is racist. The best virtue is for you is to cease to be and let those who weigh over your conscience take over. Then you will find salvation.

Actually, i think that all of you are a bit racist.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Remember, Trump did not capture a majority of votes in many (or any that I recall) Primaries. The real problem is there were 17 candidates. By the time it was winnowed down to 3 or 4 Trump had enough support to appear unstoppable. And the others spent so much time cannibalizing each other that there was no one for the regular Republicans to coalesce around. I'd imagine if I gave the RNC a time machine they would go back two years and do some arm-twisting and keep many candidates out. Things probably would have turned out differently. But as usual they did not have a read on their voters and underestimated Trump.

Now I expect the Trump train will be dispatched by Clinton in 22 more days. It just sucks that the price we have to pay to get rid of Trump will be four years of Hillary Clinton. But as long as the Republicans retain control of Congress it won't be the end of the world. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There's a proverb: "The Swede cries as he accuses you of being racist".

Where's the Swede?

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Julian Assange's Internet access has been revoked:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/787889195507417088

I wonder what caused the cup to runeth over for whom?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Good lord that's the most amusingly bizarre twitter chain I've ever seen. From Verizon giving technical support to the guy who trolled the media with Pepe == Racist, it's got everything.

so ISIS is getting crushed without a single boot on the ground

what will Trump say now next debate

There are ~5200 10400 US boots on the ground in Iraq. Assuming each of the 5200 personnel have two feet and are currently wearing boots, at least.

In 1960 the election between Nixon and Kennedy was close. Less than 11,000 votes close. There was real compelling evidence of vote fraud in Texas and Illinois that put Kennedy over the top. The head of the RNC and a number of US Senators including Barry Goldwater (a big name at that time) urged him to contest the election. Nixon, showing a grace not expected from him given his history, declined to do so. He did not want to harm the country. The integrity of the office and the electoral process was more important to him that becoming President.

In 2000, in another razor thing election margin, Al Gore showed considerably less grace by suing the State of Florida demanding recounts in only counties he was likely to win. Once again Senators flocked down like vultures and accusations flew. George W Bush was eventually declared the winner and in subsequent recounts years after the election by news organizations also demonstrated Bush won. That has not stopped Gore and legions of Democrat operatives over the years from insisting the election was stolen. It wasn't. But what that drama and Gore's ill grace did was take an axe to the partisan divide that began to grow over that whole sorry impeachment affair (no pun intended :lol: ). Unlike Nixon, Gore was more concerned with Gore than harming the country. And it DID harm the country all agree.

Now Trump has been going on at some length about "rigged elections" and how Hillary is going to steal this one. This has to stop. Right now he's talking about media manipulation. But Trump operative Rudy Giuliani as already laying the seeds for actual electoral fraud. The vote hasn't even happened yet. A sitting US Senator Jeff Sessions (who should know better) is helping this narrative along. Despite what Pence said this weekend Team Trump does not appear to be willing to "go gently into that good night" if Clinton wins this thing. Somehow I suspect Clinton would not either. I hope I'm wrong. The bonds that hold this county together are the weakest they have been since 1860.Texas and Alaska have actual Secession movements. After the 2012 elections there were actually Secession petitions from three or four states. Yes they were symbolic but that indicates a beginning we don't want to see a conclusion to.

I hope Clinton and Trump will have the grace of Richard Nixon if this election is close. There are more important things than being President.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Julian Assange's Internet access has been revoked:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/787889195507417088

I wonder what caused the cup to runeth over for whom?

Would be amusing if it was mundane as him bricking his router or something like that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Trump isn't deemed a racist because he's the Republican candidate. It's the other way around. He was already racist and he won the primary partly because of that."

Oh please. Trump has been a public figure for decades. People said a lot of things about him over the years, not until he jumped into the election was he ever loudly and over and over called a racist or sexist.    And, don't say it is because it didn't matter because he wasn't in politics because plenty of non political celebs have been crapped on for racism or perceived racism so that isn't it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Trump isn't deemed a racist because he's the Republican candidate. It's the other way around. He was already racist and he won the primary partly because of that.

0606dc9e03f7bd8f603e121d2d8f9bb36b98fb7a

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Nixon declining to contest the election is a myth, perpetuated by - Nixon! http://articles.latimes.com/2000/nov/10/local/me-49741

Edit: When you open your borders to third world countries, you become a third world country yourself: https://ricochet.com/380616/murder-in-brentwood/

Edit2: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/10/the_little_act_that_is_destroying_the_country.html

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

That or murders in NY is such a common thing that it doesn't need to be national news.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Professional agitators are hired to disrupt rallies such as those in Arizona and Chicago and the paper-trail seems to go between SuperPACs to the DNC.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Remember kids, if you don't hate yourself, your values or your heritage you are a xenophobe then you are a racist. Preserving anything immaterial or material from your parents or grandparents is racist. The best virtue is for you is to cease to be and let those who weigh over your conscience take over. Then you will find salvation.

Yes, let us purge the bezrodnyi kosmopolit from our glorious Rodina. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Yes, let us purge the bezrodnyi kosmopolit from our glorious Rodina. rolleyes.gif

It seems like I a struck a nerve or something as i didn't mention anything about anti-semitism or Russia.

In other news: Horse dealing between the FBI and the state department.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/788032222636965889

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Americans losing faith in democracy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americans-are-losing-faith-in-democracy--and-in-each-other/2016/10/14/b35234ea-90c6-11e6-9c52-0b10449e33c4_story.html?utm_term=.18c0fd66fc2f

The problem isn't democracy, it's the corrupt two party system. Hopefully people will catch on one day.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Americans losing faith in democracy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americans-are-losing-faith-in-democracy--and-in-each-other/2016/10/14/b35234ea-90c6-11e6-9c52-0b10449e33c4_story.html?utm_term=.18c0fd66fc2f

The problem isn't democracy, it's the corrupt two party system. Hopefully people will catch on one day.

You were the one telling me I'm wasting my vote by voting for Gary Johnson! Don't tell me you're changing your mind. You probably should though. Aside from immigration there is more than a little libertarian in you. 

By the way, you are wrong about the election challenge. The chairman of the RNC Thurston Morton did proceed with a few challenges but this was done without Nixon's sanction. I read a great book about this a few years ago: A New World to be Won: John Kennedy, Richard Nixon, and the Tumultuous Year of 1960 by G Scott Thomas

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

It seems like I a struck a nerve or something as i didn't mention anything about anti-semitism or Russia.

He who constantly hammers on crypto-fascist talking points shan't be confused when people mistake him for one.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

He who constantly hammers on crypto-fascist talking points shan't be confused when people mistake him for one.

Definately hit a nerve.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Funny how some preserve theirs with less effort and fury than they care about destroying others.

Definately hit a nerve.

Not particularly, but I'm very much a fan of calling a spade a spade.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Funny how some preserve theirs with less effort and fury than they care about destroying others.

Life can be unpredictable and funny in that way.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Definately hit a nerve.

Not particularly, but I'm very much a fan of calling a spade a spade.

lol

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy