What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Every room felt like a puzzle that required rhythm and movement.

Incidentally, that's precisely the kind of stealth game I personally dislike heavily. I want to be given a set of problems, open level and tools to deal with those problems - in fact, for the longest time I was certain that I just hate stealth games since all those that I played were done in the style of "Each location is a puzzle to be solved with just a few solutions". I suppose that would be why I like Dishonored and you don't? (there's a laundry list of other reasons to dislike Dishonored of course)

save scumming to avoid being detected.

Personally I consider that approach good for second or third playtrough, but improvising out of screw-ups is half the fun in my book.

Incidentally, that's precisely the kind of stealth game I personally dislike heavily. I want to be given a set of problems, open level and tools to deal with those problems

But when you have too many tools that are too powerful, it stops becoming a challenge and starts becoming about figuring out the way to get all the best XP. In Dishonored (and even worse in last two Deus Ex games) I felt like I could just walk into the room, knock everyone out, then run around freely. The challenge was gone. But if I did that, I also wouldn't get all that sweet extra XP either.

That doesn't feel like that level of micromanagement and metagaming is what my mind should be focusing on. I should just be trying to figure out how to get into the next room without getting shot up or getting into a major fight.

In Metal Gear Solid 1, you had a bunch of tools, but they all came with risks. And that's what I loved. None of those shooting a guy with a tranq from across the room and just waiting. That's why I dislike Twin Snakes, it brought that into it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I never got into Sunless Sea.  I'm not sure why it didn't hook me.  I'm not a big Lovecraft guy either though.

I wanted to get into it, but it's super grindy. Very little turns me off like grinding.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That doesn't feel like that level of micromanagement and metagaming is what my mind should be focusing on. I should just be trying to figure out how to get into the next room without getting shot up or getting into a major fight.

Well... Given the fact there's no XP system in Dishonored, you didn't have to worry about that at all - and in Deus Ex, even if you did not do any of those things, you were fine. Neither are particularly challenging, I'll give you that - then again, I'm not precisely the kind of person to play games for challenge, most of the time.

For me it is the "rogue-like" thing so many games have going now that gets me bored.

You can ignore the rogue-like aspect of Sunless Sea entirely. It's there, it kinda works, but it also has a free saving mode and enough content to carry a 30+ hours long game. It's more of a classic cRPG than anything, but it's not quite that either.

I wanted to get into it, but it's super grindy. Very little turns me off like grinding.

It's... Not designed to be. You can make it grindy quite easily, true enough, and it will get grindy towards the end-game which is a definite issue, but for the most part, you'll be making loads of money by just discovering new things. (problem is that just revisiting the same places and running the same trade routes over and over is safe, which is... Why a lot of players do that.) Edited by Fenixp

Been playing on my cousin's laptop and on my brother's Steam account. Tried Call of Duty: Black Ops III Multiplayer and I sucked as expected. Might continue my BGII playthrough as I have everything on my external HDD.

I sent in my desktop for repairs, today.

Edited by Labadal

If you want to be good at multiplayer FPS you need to put in the time.

1800 hours of TF2 and I was at least on a lower competitive level

To become good is to treat it like a job. I would grind pubs for 8 hours straight until becoming so tired I was barely aware of what I was doing. The next day I could twitch kill 30 people in a row, multiple times, get accused of hacking and kicked, until eventually becoming tired again and dropping off in performance.

The fun factor suffers and the skill decays super fast when making any sort of pause.

I no longer think its worth it.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

For some reason I just can't get myself psyched enough to actually play the Jensen Stories stuff in Mankind Divided. I start it up, but there's something about how it's outside of the main game that just saps my play mood. I get about 10 minutes in and I'm all "eh, I'm not in the mood for this now."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

seriously, if KOTOR II had a better combat system, it would be my second favorite Obsidian game. the writing is just that good, I'm amazed how fun it is just to follow dialogue in this game. it's basically PS: T in space if you ask me

It is my favorite Obsidian game, even with the combat system.

Ah, the good old days when Star Wars games were actually fun and had stories rather than pew-pew CoD in space.

• Like 4

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I like New Vegas more simply because I prefer this type of game to "classic" PC RPGs. even though New Vegas arguably has worse writing than KOTOR II, I still have more fun with NV - as a game. KOTOR II works better as an interactive novel (this is what those hacks from Tell Tale Games should be striving to make)

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I like New Vegas more simply because I prefer this type of game to "classic" PC RPGs. even though New Vegas arguably has worse writing than KOTOR II, I still have more fun with NV - as a game. KOTOR II works better as an interactive novel (this is what those hacks from Tell Tale Games should be striving to make)

I found the combat unoffensive and the class system to be endearing. It could definitively had been better but it retained some of the promise of what could had been.

Right now I feel that you are comparing apples to oranges, they are different games with different genres and different goals.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For some reason I just can't get myself psyched enough to actually play the Jensen Stories stuff in Mankind Divided. I start it up, but there's something about how it's outside of the main game that just saps my play mood. I get about 10 minutes in and I'm all "eh, I'm not in the mood for this now."

Can't play them either. The beginning with jumping from bad cutscene to bad cutscene was such a hard turn-off for me already.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Can't play them either. The beginning with jumping from bad cutscene to bad cutscene was such a hard turn-off for me already.

I forgot entirely about them...maybe I should try to play them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I played the first one (are there more out already?) and found it meh.  It's basically just another side mission, but one that didn't have much of a payoff.

I'm also confused about where it fits in the overall story.  Plus, they took away all my augs.  It should have been part of the main story, or at least a post-game mission carrying on from the events in the main story.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Right now I feel that you are comparing apples to oranges, they are different games with different genres and different goals.

yeah, that's the whole point. I did say I like it more despite being a different kind of game. they're both still Obsidian RPGs, so I don't think it's unfair to compare them.

incidentally, I like oranges more than apples.

as for combat in KOTOR II, I'm playing a gunslinger, and it's anything but unoffensive. I am only now beginning to be any kind of threat to enemies, after getting ALL ranged combat feats and my DEX to 30. it's painful when you see your character miss 80% of all attacks, and then watching enemies with vibroswords deflect the other 20%

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

juice is just pure evil, never drink even the fresh stuff, it's like a sugar bomb

Walsingham said:

I thought only lightsabers could deflect blasters. K2 is very unbalanced, much more than K1, there are some hard battles up front, but then it becomes very easy, until may be a battle or two at the end. Of course I only used ranged as support, and mostly spammed triple lightning.

Edit: The restoration mode rebalanced to give some tougher battles though.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Both KOTOR games had joke level difficulty. In terms of combat it was a point and click adventure.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.