The US Election 2016, Part VI

Pidesco

Is it January yet? I think we've heard enough from this guy: http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/07/laos-obama-repeatedly-calls-americans-lazy/

Well he's not wrong, really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is it January yet? I think we've heard enough from this guy: http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/07/laos-obama-repeatedly-calls-americans-lazy/

No... he's totally wrong. But even if not it is unseemly for the leader of a country to spend eight years bad mouthing his own country every time he goes abroad.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No... he's totally wrong. But even if not it is unseemly for the leader of a country to spend eight years bad mouthing his own country every time he goes abroad.

How? People usually damage the environment out of laziness, whether it being trying to reduce or take a cleaner approach rather than maliciously wanting to damage the environment.

Likewise with people being lazy about learning about the world. Lots of people in the first world are that way, as well.

Haven't got the sense he dumps on the US that much, go see a Euro talk for that.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"What would you do, if elected, about Aleppo?"

"About...?"

"Aleppo"

"And What is Aleppo?"

"You're kidding?"

"No."

"Aleppo is in Syria. It's the epicenter of the refugee crisis."

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Last I looked almost 75% of America was fat (or at least overweight). That's pretty good evidence there's a good number of lazy burgers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://25logicalreasonstovotefordonaldtrump.com/

As you can see there are valuable arguments to be made in favour of Trump.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought Trump played 4D chess.

am pretty sure that both clinton and trump play monopoly, and they both believe that cheating is part o' the game.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thinking more about Johnson and Aleppo. He was clearly making it up as he went along and didn't know what he was talking about. There's been so much media attention in the last week, I have to wonder what information he's receiving from people or following in other areas. Is he even looking at the news? I mean there was a Chlorine attack and accusations of chemical warfare a couple of days ago, and Merkel was talking about the US/Russian ceasefire yesterday.

"About...?"

"Aleppo"

"And What is Aleppo?"

"You're kidding?"

"No."

In fairness to Johnson, it's tough to remember stuff when you're stoned most of the time.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Ouch. That Johnson clip was painful to watch. Please... allow me:

Q: Mr. Johnson (Gary & I do have the same last name) what would you do about Aleppo if elected?

A: Nothing.

Q: Nothing?

A: You heard me. It is not our problem. We'll be happy to send humanitarian aid, food, medicine, etc. But it stops there. Syria is involved in a civil war. There are no "good guys" in this war. No matter who wins tens of thousands will be killed or displaced. Nothing we do will stop that. Under my administrations these pointless and endless foreign interventions will cease.

Q: Would you continue President Obama's resettlement of Syrian refugees in the United States?

A: No. If Syrians wish to come to the United States by following the immigration process we will welcome them in as we would anyone else from anywhere else.

I like Gary Johnson and I am voting for him. But there are times I think someone needs to explain the words "Non-interventionist" and "Libertarian" to him.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Johnson clearly needs better support staff.  Let's not forget that Trump looked just as bad on foreign affairs last year.  I doubt Trump has suddenly found the time to read through more newspapers, he simply has better advisors that are making sure he is somewhat versed on international affairs.  

It's embarrassing, but it's also a fairly terrible way to interview.  Are you trying to find out Johnson's take on a terrible situation in Syria, or are you trying to make him look silly?  Typically an interviewer is going to briefly run down some of the specifics of Aleppo both for the audience and the interviewee so that everyone understands the context of the question. But hey, MSNBC is just Fox News for liberals.  

I predicted two months ago the moment the left thought Johnson was a threat to Clinton they would turn on him like hungry piranha. http://redalertpolitics.com/2016/09/07/data-gary-johnson-pulling-votes-away-hillary-trump/

Thomas Sowell

personally despise gotcha questions no matter who gets them.  like the man said above, bad way to interview.  Some value probably just to see how fleet a candidate is on his feet, but the President of the US won't be faced with problems in this manner.  He'll be briefed and then make a decision.  Salient points will be made known.  The sole criterion whether the candidate knows the first name of the Swahili ambassador to the Sudetenland, then HRC is your brand.  Judgement they all seem daft.  Integrity then Johnson and Stein have the fewest bones rattling around in their closets.  Maybe just hid the bodies better.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Watching Trump on Youtube now (live in Ohio).  It seems America's military and defense system is in a worse state than Britain.  Obama and Hillary Clinton did a great job there.  (Sarcasm)

Do you think it is a worse state because that is what Trump is saying?

Is this part of the plan to lower our debt?

Watching Trump on Youtube now (live in Ohio).  It seems America's military and defense system is in a worse state than Britain.  Obama and Hillary Clinton did a great job there.  (Sarcasm)

Do you think it is a worse state because that is what Trump is saying?

Is this part of the plan to lower our debt?

I live in Britain, so just going by what he said - which was pretty specific (not sure if he could lie about this stuff) but he pretty much went through army number of boots on the ground, ships, and air force ("they're flying the planes their fathers flew" i think was the sentence) and that under Obama and Hillary the cost over the past 10 years has been 6 trillion - I think estimates at 75,000 per American household.  I don't know your average salary, but expect that's about 2-3 years worth.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/us-wars-in-afghanistan-iraq-to-cost-6-trillion/5350789

I mean, the man is specific.  I don't know what Hillary's take on this is.  The last time I heard her say anything, it was about shutting down Infowars and Breitbart.  Kinda makes me worry when I hear this - same crap in Britain.  They are actually saying the military isn't up to scratch.

"About...?"

"Aleppo"

"And What is Aleppo?"

"You're kidding?"

"No."

"Oh, you mean Halab. Why didn't you just say so?"

To be fair, it's not really a 'gotcha' question, it's just pointless, and on a subject where the media narrative has given an almost completely inaccurate picture of the practicalities on the ground.

Johnsson should've prepared himself for such "gotcha!"-situations. Admit not knowing and being savvy about putting trust on those that know to handle it.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, I'd hate to be criticising Johnson about Aleppo then making a string of embarrassing gaffes myself. Like saying it's ISIS's de facto capital, then correcting it to being Syria's capital (!)

Correction: September 8, 2016
An earlier version of this article misidentified the de facto capital of the Islamic State. It is Raqqa, in northern Syria, not Aleppo.
Correction: September 8, 2016
An earlier version of the above correction misidentified the Syrian capital as Aleppo. It is Damascus.

El Oh El.

• Like 1

Perhaps not a gotcha question, but nonetheless useless.  What if the question were about Alavus?  Unlikely that it will be the so-called epicenter of refugees soon unless Russia invades again.  But what if it is the source of global strife or importance?  Even Hillary, with over half her life in and around government probably doesn't have much information at hand for the city.  She'd be given the facts and the important thing wouldn't be the name of the city.  Important thing would be her decision.  Important thing would be her advisors and her ability to understand and consult with her military and political advisors as to the best way to resolve the problem in Alavus.

Johnson didn't look good and that looks to be his fault from over here.  Don't matter, still a bad way to conduct an interview.  Maybe it's useful to give a surprise test to the candidate.  Maybe next time the interviewer can ask him how to spell St Asaph and how to increase the population there.  He can get partial credit for having at least half an answer, but the spelling of Maastricht isn't and shouldn't be what keeps the president of the US up at night.

Don't much like Johnson the more I hear about it.  What used to sound clever now sounds smug and he's more concerned about pot than real policy as it sometimes looks from over here.  Whether I like Johnson or not is unimportant.  Getting kith of him should be.  At least for Americans voting in the election it should be.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.