The US Election 2016, Part VI

Pidesco

Whatever else you say about the two, they're ardent campaigners. Trump's trip down to Mexico spur of the moment only to turn around for a policy speech on immigration demonstrates his energy on the trail. See here, I know some people hate either one or both of these so much a bloke can't say nothing positive, but for two geezers they do pretty well. Hillary doesn't have as much energy maybe, but considering her health is clearly more of an issue, she gets the tip of the hat.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

She's been having problems for a while, pretty long time to have pneumonia. Also pneumonia can easily kill you, especially at that age. Not something you want to run around with.

Pneumonia can last a long time, especially if you don't take the time off you need- and it varies in severity. I actually had near exactly the same thing happen to me as happened to Hillary after an extended period (weeks, possibly months) of coughing and shortness of breath which was never quite bad enough to go see a doctor or take time off for. Then I mowed the lawns and started hyperventilating uncontrollably afterwards. After some antibiotics and a few days of proper rest it was fine*. Definitely more of a worry for a 70 year old than someone half her age though.

*except for caffeine intolerance, which I got as an added bonus.

But she was being seen by a doctor all the time, how wasn't the pneumonia diagnosed? And why was she allowed to proceed with her schedule after the diagnosis? I knew a fairly young guy who died from pneumonia in two days, you have to take it very seriously.

I'd imagine the diagnosis came today, otherwise they would have managed things a lot better. As for the diagnosis itself we don't know when she last saw the doctor but pneumonia is tricky as it's more of a symptom than a specific disease (and thus has multiple causes) and has degrees of severity, so you can have a chest infection from a potential pneumonia causing source without it being actual pneumonia. Plus, a lot of the symptoms are not very specific, like tiredness or shortness of breath or coughing. She doesn't have severe pneumonia- clearly, she'd be in bed at least if not hospital if so- so it was probably a mild pneumonia and exhaustion combination that caused her collapse today. From a forthright person it probably wouldn't be much of a big deal either, but Hillary's tendency to obfuscation doesn't serve her well at all, again.

Her campaign claimed it was diagnosed on Friday. They also claimed her pneumonia resulted from allergies. I'm convinced the whole thing is a tissue of lies, covering up what really going on with her health. Edit: I guess we'll see if her problems go away now that she's on antibiotics. It seems that if it's as simple as that, they would've tried them a couple of months ago. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Yeah, just saw the statement from her physician elsewhere. I don't think they're claiming the allergy caused the pneumonia though, there would be no point prescribing antibiotics if that were the case. At this point I'd be more concerned about her ignoring her doctor's advice (or having a rubbish doctor) than any immediate ill effects, she really shouldn't be getting "dehydrated and overheated" at 70F if she was following doctor's orders.

As for anything else that might be wrong with her '~fainting' is a very non specific symptom that could be nearly anything- but I have to agree that some scepticism is warranted.

• Like 1

Yep. No point saying that to Bruce though, he lacks the basic reading comprehension to know the difference between 'stronger' and 'better' deliberately misunderstands for purposes of trolling.

Putin is a stronger leader than Obama, but I'd still vote for Obama over him any day of the week and twice on sundays (thanks, poor roboballot security).

No you wrong,  I am not trolling and as you know that comment annoys me yet you always say it :geek:

I accept what you saying about voting for Obama over Putin and yes that changes my view of your comment

I was overly critical of your views in the previous post. I understand what you saying now and I support this 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Still think the United States is a free country? https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-west-point-football-prayer-jeff-monken-mikey-weinstein

Kneel during the anthem and they call you a hero. Kneel in prayer and they want to fire the coach and dismiss the players from school.

When is enough going to be enough?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It isn't morally wrong if a coach is using a position of power to force players to do a religious act when they don't believe in it? Especially in a public institution.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Still think the United States is a free country? https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-west-point-football-prayer-jeff-monken-mikey-weinstein

Kneel during the anthem and they call you a hero. Kneel in prayer and they want to fire the coach and dismiss the players from school.

When is enough going to be enough?

I don't really get this. Just read the opening but isn't this a matter of seperation of church and state? Calling for a group prayer of the team is effectively endorsing a religion to the students. That the students partook in it is largely irrelevant: I grew up in Oklahoma and I'm not a christian, I just knew better than to go letting anyone know that. When my school (illegally) did group prayers and other such events, damned right I was bowing my head like everyone else. We had one outspoken athiest and guess what happened to him? No friends, social outcast, treated like ****.

If you don't understand the why of it, imagine going to a school and one of your teachers is a Muslim that wants you to pray to Allah or what-have-you. Would you do it? Would you be comfortable being told/encouraged/ordered/coerced into praying to a God and a creed you don't believe in? Would you like it if his lectures had hints of Muslim ideologies and beliefs sprinkled in? The reality is that yeah it never happens in the USA that a Buddhist or Muslim teacher has an opportunity to do that because the chances the students let him get away with that are very slim, but that does not excuse Christian teachers who would do the same. After all, what if a teacher is an adamant athiest and encourages students to pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster as his way of pushing back?

The general philosophy is that teachers play a huge role in our lives. Parents have the most control over who we are and who we become, teachers are probably second. Because of this, the state takes special precautions to ensure the people that sending their students to class isn't a shot in the dark regarding what morals or philosophies they'll be taught, and the classes remain "strictly business" and cover solely the curriculum.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It isn't morally wrong if a coach is using a position of power to force players to do a religious act when they don't believe in it? Especially in a public institution.

GD I agree with Pidesco on this one, you cant force people to prayer just because you religious 

This comment from the article summarizes my view 

"Coach Monken had no business telling my son and his Army teammates to get on their knees and pray a prayer to Jesus!" wrote one concerned parent. "My son was very upset about this. ... This violates the Constitution and to think it happened at West Point?" 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Prayer is NOT compulsory. If you don't want to participate there is no insistence that anyone do so. But if those who DO want to participate do so voluntarily what is the f-----g problem? The first amendment of the US Constitution does prevent the establishment of any one religion but it also says the government may not prohibit, and I quote, "THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF".

There is a serious double standard at work here. If a regular state university football team has a prayer before a game no one says a word. Because this is the US Military Academy groups like this get a "backstage pass" because we already have an administration hostile to all forms of freedom and religion is at the front of their list.

It's such a simple thing. If someone wants to pray, who cares. Let them. If they are being compelled to pray that is a different story but that is NOT what is happening. Every evil act in this world begins when someone thinks they know better than someone else about how they should be living their lives.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

GD I agree with Pidesco on this one, you cant force people to prayer just because you religious 

"Coach Monken had no business telling my son and his Army teammates to get on their knees and pray a prayer to Jesus!" wrote one concerned parent. "My son was very upset about this. ... This violates the Constitution and to think it happened at West Point?" 

OK, I didn't see that line. That is different.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Never let facts get in the way of the outrage machine.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Reading Comprehension: FAIL

Thomas Sowell

Never let facts get in the way of the outrage machine.

Its not just GD who sometimes does this, most people on this forum use emotion to make points when it comes to the current US political reality. Yes it gets frustrating at times but I can understand emotions are running high and this clouds most peoples logic 

I make my posts on fact  and .logic ....I think i do at least  :biggrin:

John Milton 

OK, now that I'm done making a jackass of myself here is some real news. The Winston-Salem Journal has endorsed Gary Johnson for President. That is the third newspaper to do so and the second major one: http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/editorials/decision-gary-johnson-for-president/article_7351cdb6-327e-5cf0-b0d2-9bff7ab6d874.html

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

It was a bit funny though (in a good way) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

OK, now that I'm done making a jackass of myself here is some real news. The Winston-Salem Journal has endorsed Gary Johnson for President. That is the third newspaper to do so and the second major one: http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/editorials/decision-gary-johnson-for-president/article_7351cdb6-327e-5cf0-b0d2-9bff7ab6d874.html

Hehe first good thing I've seen in my local paper in a long while :)

Hillary's fortunate that there was a modern Chelsea's apartment nearby with the latest in medical equipment and staff when she collapsed. If not, she might have been driven to a hospital and that's the last thing you want to do when a 68 year old woman collapses and is carried, literally with her feet dragging on the ground, into a waiting vehicle.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Prayer is NOT compulsory. If you don't want to participate there is no insistence that anyone do so.

If you live in a religious community where you are not a part of the dominant religion, trust me, it is "compulsory" in it's own way. I lost a number of friends who found out I wasn't christian, simply because they refused to have anything to do with anyone that wasn't a christian.

Had fun with it though. I remember my "prayers" vividly:

"Hey God, it's me again. That guy they're forcing to pray. Yeah, that guy. The one you designed to have one leg, three toes, and allergies to morphine and latex. **** you too, haha nah just kidding, how are the kids?"

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?