What are you playing right now?

That mouse is so adorable  :wub:

And you collect different outfits during the game. I have the first items for the pirate outfit and the boots for the thief outfit so far.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

So looking at the Ghost of a Tale early access plan, I read this and was quite impressed:

"We estimate that Ghost of a Tale will be in early access for up to six months (though of course this is subject to change). We are a very small team (one person does 90% of art and coding) and we’ll need that time to complete the game, test and localize it."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I started playing Alpha Protocol again. I loved it since it's release six years ago and my love is as powerfuil, as before. It's so sad, that there will be no sequel. Well at least the story answered all important questions in-game, although I had always ideas for the sequel ;).

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 3

-Final "boss" battle.  I don't even ... like, what?  Why they chose THAT as the final combat encounter is beyond me.

It was the only real boss battle in the game.

It just felt so weirdly out of place.  Unless I missed something earlier, there was no significance to that boss battle.

It's like they just added it because every game apparently needs to pit you against a giant alien creature before the end of the game.

At least the previous semi-boss battle just prior to that made sense from a story perspective.  That one was sort of like "wait, why am I fighting a giant creature that there's been no mention of in the lore?"

Niesha said there must be some really bad mutations at the pole when you first get there, but may be it depends on which companions you have. There are giant mutations throughout, so why is this one out of place? Also you fight a similar boss in the Mars game.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Finally got past the jump that was giving me so much trouble in Ghost of a Tale, only to find out it let to an optional collectible. With the time I wasted it is now dark and the npcs I wanted to talk to are asleep. I'll fool around and see if I can steal a few more handkerchiefs from the rat guards while I wait for dawn.

Edited by melkathi

Been playing XCOM again. Sadly, I'm not as lucky as my last playthrough, random deaths are a regular occurence. And some not so random deaths, like that time I activated Mutons, Leapers, and Seekers at the same time. They killed everyone except my Colonel Sniper and Heavy Zhao.

The Mutons were on their A flanking game.

Sadly, I'll be moving on. Head Lander and Marvel Ultimate Alliance came out today. Given how much time I spent in UA2, I had to buy the bundle and give UA1 another try.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i'm struggling with the "Ivory King" DLC for Dark Souls 2. it's the epitome of unfair level design! despite the difficulty, the design of DS1 and the base game DS2 was fair. chalenging but never rage inducing (except for that one spot in Anor Londo with the 2 archers and the catwalks).

i have to cross an area where there's a blizzard. every about 50s the blizzard subsides and i can see where i'm going for about 15s so i can orientate myself towards the next landmark. the problem is that unless i'm in close proximity to a landmark during these 50s, a rather powerful beast will spawn and attack me without me being able to see it until it's right on top of me. if i can make it to the next landmark, i can kill it and then try to get to the next but if the next blizzard hits while i'm fighting it away from the landmark, a second will spawn and if i somehow survive long enough for the next blizzard then a third and so on. the whole thing makes the trek from the bonfire to the boss take a good 20 minutes and no matter how fast i run, there is no way to get to the next landmark in the 15s of grace period so i have to blindly try to get to it in the blizzard while defending against the beast's attacks... and of course, the boss is the type that can 1 hit kill me even with my very high defense armor and to make matters worse there are no phantoms to summon AND when i remove 70% of the boss' hp, a second boss drops in, identical to the first and with max hp. that means that when i die in the boss fight, i have to make a 20 minute trek through endlessly respawning enemies to get back there.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

As far as I am aware, you are in a 100% optional area. I didn't even found it when I've played it.

All in all I thought Ivory King was the best DS2 DLC. Iron King was good too. Hated the Sunken King.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Still playing Salt & Sanctuary.  The game is great.  I'm happy that they didn't make the game too punishing.  The game is hard and I die a lot, but even if I lose a lot of salt by dying (doesn't happen that often because I'm a wuss and play it safe and use a bell to get back to a sanctuary whenever I have a bunch of salt on me) I'm never like *throw controller across room* "welp, I'll never get that salt back" *sadness & anger*.  I'm like "well that sucked, but it's all good because I can either kill that enemy to get my salt back or grind for it for a short bit, no biggie".  I also really appreciate all the shortcuts they put in that you open once you get through an area.  As much as I love confusing metroidvania mazes, and I do, I like to have a quick way to bypass stuff once I've gone through them once.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

-Final "boss" battle.  I don't even ... like, what?  Why they chose THAT as the final combat encounter is beyond me.

It was the only real boss battle in the game.

It just felt so weirdly out of place.  Unless I missed something earlier, there was no significance to that boss battle.

It's like they just added it because every game apparently needs to pit you against a giant alien creature before the end of the game.

At least the previous semi-boss battle just prior to that made sense from a story perspective.  That one was sort of like "wait, why am I fighting a giant creature that there's been no mention of in the lore?"

Niesha said there must be some really bad mutations at the pole when you first get there, but may be it depends on which companions you have. There are giant mutations throughout, so why is this one out of place? Also you fight a similar boss in the Mars game.

I had Scott and Amelia in my party.  Only cutscene/speech I got was Scott talking about his research.

I guess it just seemed weird to have that one show up as the final fight, while the fight with "you know who" was done in such a throwaway manner.  The guy is supposed to be your nemesis the entire story, then suddenly his fight devolves into your random 3-enemy fight sequence.

It just felt a bit out of place.  It would be like at the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke takes on Vader and the Emperor, then after that fight is concluded he's attacked by a giant space slug as he's flying away from the exploding Death Star.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Impressions of Head Lander so far. Good fun.

The gunplay gets some time to get used to, aiming feels a little slower than I'd like for how hectic things can seem to get, but as I play I get better and learn to adapt.

Edit: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 port doesn't seem the best. I, and others, have a sound issue where there's a persistent static and all the game sounds are muffled. And the keyboard didn't work right for me. To quit you go to a menu, click Yes, then press 1 to confirm. Odd for mouse navigation, but it's mimicing the gamepad exactly. Except when confirming quit, it wouldn't quit.

I had Scott and Amelia in my party.  Only cutscene/speech I got was Scott talking about his research.

I guess it just seemed weird to have that one show up as the final fight, while the fight with "you know who" was done in such a throwaway manner.  The guy is supposed to be your nemesis the entire story, then suddenly his fight devolves into your random 3-enemy fight sequence.

It just felt a bit out of place.  It would be like at the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke takes on Vader and the Emperor, then after that fight is concluded he's attacked by a giant space slug as he's flying away from the exploding Death Star.

Made sense to me, why should he be so powerful by himself? It's just to take the sweet, sweet revenge. I mean you're a Jedi, and what is he?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Made sense to me, why should he be so powerful by himself? It's just to take the sweet, sweet revenge. I mean you're a Jedi, and what is he?

That's kind of the point.  He was supposed to be crafty, manipulative, able to control people to his way of doing things.  Yet all he could convince to help him fight me in a straight up melee battle was two brutes?  He didn't have a plan on how to face me to offset the obvious "power" advantage I had over him?  How'd he end up in power in the first place if he's that dumb?!

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mario Maker which is tons of fun and looks absolutely gorgeous! 

I am suddenly in love with the Wii U.

See, Obsidian! This is what happens when you let us down!  :wowey:

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

As far as I am aware, you are in a 100% optional area. I didn't even found it when I've played it.

All in all I thought Ivory King was the best DS2 DLC. Iron King was good too. Hated the Sunken King.

Well, I mean, all of the DLC is "optional", so...the area he is in leads to the second boss of the area, so yeah. Also, I really despised all of the DLC areas. The game was already torturous - the DLC really kicked it up a notch.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's kind of the point.  He was supposed to be crafty, manipulative, able to control people to his way of doing things.  Yet all he could convince to help him fight me in a straight up melee battle was two brutes?  He didn't have a plan on how to face me to offset the obvious "power" advantage I had over him?  How'd he end up in power in the first place if he's that dumb?!

Did you forget how you slaughtered the rest of his minions? Do you think he has unlimited resources? In fact the fight just before you get to him was fairly tough IMO.

Still chipping away at The Witcher 3 on the pc, about 54 hours in and roaming around Skellige finding numerous things I missed my first time through.  I think I'm around level 25 and spending time collecting witcher gear, doing contracts and random encounters along the way.  Loving the location so much more this time through and just enjoying the soundtrack as I roam the islands.  Also, picked up on my ongoing game of Divinity: Original Sin on the PS4 which I think I'm about 44 hours in which has seemed to fly by.  Waiting on the next couple of weeks to start a co-op playthrough with a friend on the pc and cannot wait for D:OS 2.

• Like 1

There is that moment in games when you meet a quest giver and they start asking for stuff, and you are just "Oh, yeah, I got that. And that. And that too." because you have been exploring too much.

"Bring us a rat guard's handkerchief." "Any specific guard's? Because I threw them all in my satchel and am not sure which belonged to which guard.."

Did you forget how you slaughtered the rest of his minions? Do you think he has unlimited resources? In fact the fight just before you get to him was fairly tough IMO.

Would have made more sense if he, somehow, was responsible for that leviathan showing up (ie. whatever he was doing "awoke" it).  Or if he set a trap where he lured me into that hallway to chase after him, but jumps through the door and locks it, leaving me on that bridge to face the leviathan.

At least a]it would have made sense for me to fight the leviathan at that point, and b]would have showcased his ingenuity, even if the fight with him after the leviathan was rather weak.

Played some more Ghost of a Tale. I enjoy stealthin' around, but I seem to have to go most places anyway for the quests. I would have liked there to be two or even three approaches to reach the top of the watchtower. Not my options to be: do I take my time to sneak past the rat guard, do I run past them and hope to get out of sight before he can catch me, or do I sneak up to them and hit them over the head with a bottle?

The costumes/disguises are fun. I enjoy how they can provide different conversations with NPCs. But I am not sure how optional they are. I hope they add options and are not just a requirement to proceed with the game, the way pirate costume is.

• Like 1

@SadExchange: I'm hoping, though I'm not holding my breath, to get a four person co-op going for D:OS2. I doubt it will happen because of this thing called 'real life', but it won't be for lack of trying. :)

If there comes a day where it can be set up within the confines of real life, I would gladly play with others here on the board, when it releases.

Still loving Headlander. Hit an amusing little turn last night that's keeping it from getting repetitive. Hope they have more in store.