What You Did Today

Tale

june 26, 2016 will henceforth be known in the Gromnir household as Bloody Sunday.

took the dogs for a walk at 6am.  gotta go early as the afternoon highs is gonna be 'bout 103F today, and by tuesday we could see 108F. 

am current walking five freaking dogs.  when our sister died, we took her two little dogs. neither is more than 12 pounds, but they is noisy and excitable. a few years ago we took in a friend's border collie. our friend had a stroke and we already had one border collie, so... anyways, we got four dogs o' our own.  then, 'bout a year ago, we noticed that we were no longer noticing one o' our neighbors.  typical we would see our neighbor doing yard work once or twice a week.  we weren't close friends or anything, but we were aware that only a few months previous, his old dog, max, had died, and he had replaced with a new pup by the name o' hamish. neighbor were nowhere to be seen, but we heard hamish barking whenever we passed his home.  our neighbor were in his late 50s, so we figured he had taken ill or been injured or somesuch. gave his residence a telephone call with the intent o' offering aid and to walk his dog 'til he recovered.

our neighbor were dead.  had died a few months previous to our phone call. his wife/widow, whom we had never spoken with previous, were going in for hip surgery.

*sigh*

we offered to take hamish for walks 'til ______ got back on her feet.  literal.  she were gonna need stay off her feet for a few weeks and she were actual a bit frantic as to what she were gonna do 'bout hamish during that time.  hamish has now been part o' the Gromnir pack for over a year.

we did end up purchasing a 97 chrysler minivan that serves no purpose save as a dog walking vehicle.  one o' the better $1500 purchases we has made.

anyways, today we were walking all five dogs when things went horribly wrong. those ground dwelling birds that is ubiquitous in our neck o' the woods has recently multiplied.  is the yearly and temporary multiplication that occurs after eggs hatch and chicks appear.  typical turkey hen seems to have 'bout five poults and quail got similar numbers o' chicks.  no doubt the local cat and hawk populations is collective (and metaphorical) salivating.  am pretty sure hawks don't salivate.  anywho, Gromnir were blissful enjoying nature, while keeping an eye out for coyotes and snakes, and largely ignoring the threat o' mountain lions as we were knowing we could do little 'bout a puma attack in the event such occurred. tragedy struck.

our sister's little black mutt likes birds.  is not a cookie monster and big bird friendship kinda 'like' neither.  the little black dog has, in the past, attacked any number o' small birds.  killdeer and sandpipers is typical targeted when we gets near lakes.  rare does the dog have much success in his hunts as the birds, y'know, can fly. also, Gromnir is aware o' the dog's bird ocd, so we typical put him on a leash when kildeer is nesting and chicks is present.  there ain't never been an issue with quail or turkey in the past, which is kinda odd as the black dog will chase geese, ducks, swans pelicans, egrets and all matter o' waterfowl regardless o' prohibitive size disparity.  

can no longer state that quail is off the menu.

ok, is all Gromnir's fault, and we do feel terrible.  of all the dogs we walks, we only had hamish on a leash this AM 'cause we walk where is absolute nobody else walking dogs.  as we mentioned earlier, our actual concerns is snakes, coyote and mountain lions... though our vet friend tells us that the actual danger we should be more wary o' is disease carrying voles and mice. regardless, dogs were off leashes when the black dog went after a bevy o' quail. we shouted, but that were pointless. black dog caught a chick and promptly tore it to shreds.  okay.  that were bad, but then everything went to hell rather quick.  the other unleashed dogs unexpectedly joined the black dog in a bloody bacchanalia.  am not gonna share details other than to note that hamish got away from us while we were attempting to put one o' the border collies on a leash and so we ended up with all five dogs contributing to the impromptu display o' savagery. before today, the only dog we walk that has ever shown interest in chasing birds is the little black dog... and one o' the border collies will chase geese and egrets.  can't say that anymore.

am glad the dogs didn't go after turkeys as male turkeys, with their spurs, can do serious damage to a dog, but that is the only silver lining we can see.

were all a bit horrifying and ridiculous.  

we did experience a moment o' quasi hysteria on the drive home. a prince song, you know the one, played on the radio and we couldn't help but laugh like an idiot at the perversity o' the universe.

HA! not Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Had me going, thought for sure it was a tale of discovering the neighbor. Can't return to that section of trail.

An English word for rock damage on car glass ... chip. The headlight was chipped. The windshield has a chip in it.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

combine the heat of the previous days with a light rain today and you have 110% humidity. it's not so hot, but EVERYTHING is sticky as if it were covered in syrup.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

About to head out to the Denver Taco Festival. Interested to see the heavy metal mariachi band they have and also maybe eat some tacos

This is like my 3rd festival in 3 weekends. First was Renaissance, then was Greek, now it's tacos

PS lucha libre too

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

About to head out to the Denver Taco Festival. Interested to see the heavy metal mariachi band they have and also maybe eat some tacos

This is like my 3rd festival in 3 weekends. First was Renaissance, then was Greek, now it's tacos

PS lucha libre too

Nice, I have to be honest there are so many things I like about Denver..I'm sure I could live there 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

PS lucha libre too

Chihuahua racing ... tell me more! 

All Stop. On Screen.

I heard Denver Comic Con just happened, probably fewer tacos, though.

Today my imaginary housekeeper who never shows up failed to report, again, so, I broke-out the Lime-Away and took the bathroom to task. And the kitchen ... taught that tile a lesson it won't soon forget. At least for a couple weeks. The gleam of squeaky clean is its own reward, but I did such a good job, my actual reward was new towels and a red toaster. 

All Stop. On Screen.

our housekeeper is an older portuguese woman who also cooks for us once a week.  what frustrates us is that our housekeeper refuses to teach us how to cook portuguese cuisine. am curiously grateful and embittered whenever she brings us food.

our housekeeper's cleaning skills, from our pov, is largely irrelevant.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I went to Comic Con a couple of years ago and would like to go again but the VIP tickets sell out super fast and the line for regular tickets is all day long. They've supposedly gotten better but I dunno

Maybe next year

Free games updated 3/4/21

Had me going, thought for sure it was a tale of discovering the neighbor. Can't return to that section of trail.

An English word for rock damage on car glass ... chip. The headlight was chipped. The windshield has a chip in it.

Cheers! =)

Had my first driving lesson today, yeah, sure, I'm a 31 yo with an obsession with cars, but I've never had steady employment so I've not been able to afford it until now.

It went smooth, I got alot of compliments on my driving ability and that I paid alot of attention to the traffic and pedestrians around me. Was told to work on the way I handle the steering wheel (I tend to turn the wheel with only one hand) and my ecodriving (I declutch too early). The instructor told me that I was good enough at driving to skip ahead quite a bit in the lesson plan. I'm very pleased with myself, now I hope that the papers for private instruction comes through quickly so that I can get more kilometres behind the wheel.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Bought some some stuff for my laptop, being tired of using the keyboard and relatively small monitor (most of my belongings are still in storage in Germany). Got a mechanical keyboard (of course) and a nice medium sized monitor with 2560x1440 resolution. Got it home, unboxed, set up and... only came with full sized HDMI (and DVI, neither of which is on my laptop) cables. Ah well, no biggie, went down to a local electronics store and asked for a mini-HDMI adapter, got it back home and lo and behold, the guy in the store had given me a mini-HDMI to C (whatever 'C' is, it sure isn't something my laptop has).

Ah well, next time I'll read what it says on the packaging first rather than taking someones word for it ;)

I still need to find an adaptor though, the monitor currently gathering dust.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Got a phone call from a property company here in Ames about working for them as an assistant leasing manager. Pays the same but seems like it'd be less stress overall.

And the adult shop wants to talk to me. That'd be a small pay cut initially but I'd easily make location manager pretty quick.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's why my name tag would say "manager" rather than "Janitor". Also I have become a touch desensitized to anything considered waste from a decade of retail/fast food.

Iceland bounced England out of the Euro Cup. Many Brexit jokes about. :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Im not that squeamish either but I guess I draw the line at bodily fluids. I probably coulnt hack it in the medical field or taking care of old people either.

I admit part of the desensitization is the fact that most of the stuff I'd be cleaning up there would be designed to mix with another human being rather than waste material

Also yesterday, I installed and serviced a new seat/lid combo for the previously freakishly clean bathroom toilet. I almost opted for the model with built-in night light, but realized just in time that that is ridiculous. So I got the no-slam whisper-quiet closing mechanism. Now I never get tired of tipping it down just to see it float like a feather. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Someone apparently slipped the boss' wife a disappearing ink pen and she used it to sign company checks.

Which is kind of fun.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's a fairly small business, I'm one of three office employees.

These aren't payroll checks, either. They're for our vendors.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sarex might like this:

I went to a local flea market, and a huge owl statue. I thought it looked awesome, but assumed that it'd be really expensive. Nope, it was actually pretty cheap. So, I don't own a car, and I've just bought this huge (and very heavy) owl statue.

I'm trying to manually carry this thing back to my house, but it's so freakin' heavy that I can barely lift it at all. I can only hold it for about two seconds before my strength gives out, moving it just a few inches each time. Now I don't live very far, but it took me like an hour and a half to get it to my house. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it ultimately, but that was a hell of a struggle. Probably one of the few times I ever regretted not having a car that I could've just put it in.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Amused that I have invisibility as a lady walked into me while having her head up. High point of the day, it's been that dull though. Cooled down a bit to a lovely 23 C as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra