Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Even in a history class, I don't know why I would even need to use the word colored to describe black people, unless I was quoting an older source or talking about etymology.

or, y'know, referencing the NAACP?  ironic, no?

you can't imagine how much heat we get from family when we still use the offensive "native american" descriptor.  am suspecting that many folks on these boards still says "native americans" to describe the indigenous peoples of the Americas.  has hurl said "native americans" evar?  well, guess what, you is being as offensive as if you had said colored people... or so we is told.  'course if you used "native americans" 10 or even 5 years ago, you would have been aware rather than an ignorant putz.  perhaps 10 or 5 or 2 years from now, native americans will once again be de rigueur. 

*shrug*

the offensive labels proliferate. read shakespeare and many o' the insults is requiring footnotes to be understood,  language naturally evolves... or it did.  now we got mass media and high levels o' literacy.  we no longer let go o' old language.  instead, we carry around the baggage and pass it along to future generations.  

and what the heck is hurl to do in 20 or 50 years (am assuming good health for hurl) when "colored" becomes the appropriate language for any non-asian?  will hurl simply move on and embrace the new language conventions or is he gonna question the validity o' labels and the power we give to them.

side note: have a group o' academics or journalists need says, "the n word"  ad nauseum in discussion o' race issues never fails to cause a Gromnir eye-roll.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just noticed this, but come on, banning the use of "The Man" in an artsie course ? :lol:

Proof that they're shills for The Man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

"Illegal alien" is a phrase found in the US Code, too. Is that especially offensive/what is the "proper" term?

I guess the guy who thought that a word filter IRL was a good idea never tried to reference the previous US Vice President on the Obs forum.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Even in a history class, I don't know why I would even need to use the word colored to describe black people, unless I was quoting an older source or talking about etymology.

and what the heck is hurl to do in 20 or 50 years (am assuming good health for hurl) when "colored" becomes the appropriate language for any non-asian?  will hurl simply move on and embrace the new language conventions or is he gonna question the validity o' labels and the power we give to them.

I'm a big fan of changing language, really, I find etymology fascinating.  If you are in an academic setting, I think it is an important skill to master the language of academia, and to also understand that it can change over time, or even from professor to professor.  

I would be more comfortable with the editor of Charlie Hebdo than one of the nutjobs who thinks you need less rights to speak because "privilege".

Just because some crazy people talk crazy on twitter does not mean:

A: you are going to lose your rights to free speech.

or

B:  you need to adopt their language and start talking like a crazy person.

It doesn't help this feeling that i'm becoming old and that the new generation is a bunch of lunatics. I'm not even 30, I shouldn't be dealing with that stuff.

It's the tyranny of the minority who keep pushing their issues and views to the front while the majority silently acknowledges them to their detriment, because they believe their opinions are in the minority. Plus, it used to be that there could be something wrong with "you" as opposed to something wrong with the world.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

oh, and we had more than a few nutter professors at Cal.  so what?  if is not a required course for ba/bs/bfa, then why should we care? read syllabus and realize that the class is not for Gromnir?  well gosh, guess we won't take the freaking course. 

that being said, at a Public university in the US, a professor is gonna needs be more conscious o' free speech issues than would a prof teaching a similar class at Stanford, Duke or Notre Dame.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm a big fan of changing language, really, I find etymology fascinating.  If you are in an academic setting, I think it is an important skill to master the language of academia, and to also understand that it can change over time, or even from professor to professor.  

you create an imaginary thing and ask for mastery that you admit changes with time and twixt academics?

okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

I'd hardly call academic language an imaginary thing.  But yes, part of being a student is being able to adjust to the different expectations of your teachers.  This is one of the more useful skills in the real world, as your bosses are going to care very little about your personal opinions and much more about your ability to meet their expectations (however arbitrary they might be.)

I don't think I'm doing a great job of explaining myself here, but really all I'm saying is that the changing of language, social issues, etc. is just not something new, and I'm not really sure it is that big of a deal.  Show me some evidence that our society is really changing, that we are banning stuff.  It's hard for me to do while watching episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and staring at my copy of the South Park RPG.

We've got Trump polling well for goodness sakes!  Political correctness is dead, long live political correctness!

^hahahaha

They're not even trying.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's the Mary Sue... can't use them as an example of bad game journalism. They're not a games website, they're a feminist website.

I can use them as an example of being blinded by ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8ibrfXvpQ

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

" I doubt this professor put this in the syllabus on a whim though, clearly they have been dealing with students who lack the ability to grasp how to use academic language properly."

He did it because he is a piece of **** nazi. It is not complex.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

" I doubt this professor put this in the syllabus on a whim though, clearly they have been dealing with students who lack the ability to grasp how to use academic language properly."

He did it because he is a piece of **** nazi. It is not complex.

I was torn between making a joke about grammar nazis or one about German language teachers.  It paralyzed me.   ;(

Mother of God

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd hardly call academic language an imaginary thing.  But yes, part of being a student is being able to adjust to the different expectations of your teachers.  This is one of the more useful skills in the real world, as your bosses are going to care very little about your personal opinions and much more about your ability to meet their expectations (however arbitrary they might be.)

am not thinking we would like hurl much as a teacher if he sees self and professors as analogous to employers who "care very little about your personal opinions."  funny, but in our limited experience teaching, we very much wanted to hear the opinions o' our students and while we did indeed wanna make sure that they learned the material, we were far more interested in what the students could synthesize and create from what they had learned from us as 'posed to students trying to tell us what they thought we wanted to hear. 

and yeah, the nonsense about academic language is fiction.  sure, every discipline has its own vocabulary and students must learn, but you are talking 'bout pruning language that is inappropriate or offensive to an instructor.  cal that "academic language"?  is another label that has evolved over time to mean something ugly.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I'm glad Street Fighter finally became incloosive

R68AEKF.jpg

It seems my cosplaying has been discovered.

am not thinking we would like hurl much as a teacher if he sees self and professors as analogous to employers who "care very little about your personal opinions."  funny, but in our limited experience teaching, we very much wanted to hear the opinions o' our students and while we did indeed wanna make sure that they learned the material, we were far more interested in what the students could synthesize and create from what they had learned from us as 'posed to students trying to tell us what they thought we wanted to hear. 

and yeah, the nonsense about academic language is fiction.  sure, every discipline has its own vocabulary and students must learn, but you are talking 'bout pruning language that is inappropriate or offensive to an instructor.  cal that "academic language"?  is another label that has evolved over time to mean something ugly.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't think Hurlshot was really implying the two different situations were analogous... Take out "your bosses are going to care very little about your personal opinions" (...and restructure the sentence to make actual grammatical sense) and that would be closer to an analogous comparison. That bit was there to highlight the difference, if anything, in degree of the two situations that have similarities (...that are yet distinct from one another), not to imply that the situation with the teachers was the same as the situation can often be with bosses (in that they wouldn't really care about you, as the student/employee). I am saying this in good faith, though, based on other things Hurlshot has said of his teaching in the past. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's the Mary Sue... can't use them as an example of bad game journalism. They're not a games website, they're a feminist website.

They're not really a feminist website either, they're more a straight clickbait website like all the other Gawker sites.

Which is actually a fairly important distinction if you consider them to be trolling for views, one of the more important/ frequent trolling techniques is to be 'accidentally' inconsistent so as to get a reaction by being called on it and that is something Gawker sites do with great frequency.

I guess the guy who thought that a word filter IRL was a good idea never tried to reference the previous US Vice President on the Obs forum.

That was oddly appropriate, given that it was **** Cheney and he's about as much of a cartoon villain as you can get.

And you can always write stuff like 'Richard Cheney thinks that Joe Biden should join Democrat race' if you need to.

About the article? Sure.
Brianna Wu recently wrote an article on The Mary Sue stating that Samus Aran is a transwoman based on evidence that I could charitably describe as "flimsy".

(It's far more likely that her "evidence" was either a transphobic joke itself or an inside joke from the team about how Samus was a male character for a while in development.)

There was someone trying to edit the official wikipedia page to state that Samus Aran is trans.

They didn't succeed.

Also Wu has now gone on to twitter with her grievances:

3VsNYgp.jpg

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive