Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

No Baro you are still misunderstanding me

I'm ****stirring you Bruce.

(although I obviously still support those positions)

Okay but you could have been serious because my posts do get misunderstood and certain people on these forums I do care what they think about me. You are one of them so I prefer to explain so there is no confusion :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So it looks like the FTC has implemented its authority and slapped down Machinima for several violations of terms, a good day for Gamergate, disclosure, ethicality and disclosure. If only we could have game journalists brought to heel in a similar fashion for their years of blatant corruption and abuses.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So it looks like the FTC has implemented its authority and slapped down Machinima for several violations of terms, a good day for Gamergate, disclosure, ethicality and disclosure. If only we could have game journalists brought to heel in a similar fashion for their years of blatant corruption and abuses.

Nonek I must apologize for some of the arguments we use to have, I have basically explained to everyone that I was mistaken with my initial view of why I thought you guys supported GG. But I have also made some personal apologies yet I haven't to you

I won't lie I did use to be particularly disappointed with your stance on GG  as I did expect you to " know better " due to your life experience and its clear the younger members look up to you and in my experiences of having SJ discussions and debates someone like you is always the hardest one to convince ...as if you don't now by now you never will know. But as I mentioned I was mistaken in my view so don't see this as criticism 

Also you annoyed me when you kept bringing up the strip clubs as me being a hypocrite ...and I am well aware of that accusation but its just not valid but I still didn't like it :) Anyway this lead to some silly and personal debates and I did use to provoke you at times

I actually had people PM me and say  " wow there is really bad blood between you and Nonek, you guys need to sort it out " but of course I thought you were a bigot and didn't care. Anyway sorry for the accusations I made towards you and anything I might have said that was personal :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Unfollowed Milo today. I've always been a bit leery of him, but his recent tantrum where he hypocritically defended Breitbart for engaging in the same bull**** witch-hunts that places like Gawker are notorious for engaging in just made me realize that I haven't enjoyed his antics for quite a while.

Thank God that Cathy Young is still paragon of reasonableness.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Unfollowed Milo today. I've always been a bit leery of him, but his recent tantrum where he hypocritically defended Breitbart for engaging in the same bull**** witch-hunts that places like Gawker are notorious for engaging in just made me realize that I haven't enjoyed his antics for quite a while.

Thank God that Cathy Young is still paragon of reasonableness.

What are you talking about?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Breitbart recently ran a hit-piece on a lady who'd made some insensitive tweets about a recently deceased cop.
The lady had used the #blacklivesmatter once and had about 20 followers. After the hit-piece she got all sorts of nasty death-threats and such.
KIA had a thread comparing Breitbart's piece to Gawker, in my opinion rightfully so.
This story is very similar to one about Gawker, where everyone's favorite bully, Sam Biddle, wrote a piece about a lady called Justine Sacco who made an ill-advised tweet about Africa and AIDs. She subsequently got all sorts of nastiness thrown at her and lost her job.

Milo got huffy on twitter and complained that KIA cared more about "losing honorably by the enemy's rules" and so on. He also RT'd a tweet about "GG shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them."
He also made a fairly lengthy post on KIA about the matter.
Cue ****flinging.

Cathy Young came out with a response that I feel is close to my own feelings on the matter.

Edit: Linked the wrong piece.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Fundamentally, Breitbart is no friend of gamers and never has been. They've got a particular political slant which sees them dislike the sjw press on philosophical grounds, and as competitors. The main common ground with gamers is a common enemy, not common views in general.

Indeed. Unfortunately Breitbart is full of arseholes, the only person writing there worth a rat's ass is probably Allum Bokhari.

Despite that I'm still actually hoping that Breitbart will try to expand into Breitbart Gaming, much like Forbes has Forbes Gaming.

Not because I necessarily like them, or will even read them, but because at the moment the most influential spheres of games journalism is an insular clique that needs to be shaken up by other big players with different views from their own.

Indeed. Unfortunately Breitbart is full of arseholes, the only person writing there worth a rat's ass is probably Allum Bokhari.

Despite that I'm still actually hoping that Breitbart will try to expand into Breitbart Gaming, much like Forbes has Forbes Gaming.

Not because I necessarily like them, or will even read them, but because at the moment the most influential spheres of games journalism is an insular clique that needs to be shaken up by other big players with different views from their own.

Yeah, my main issue early on wasn't the sjw agenda of the gaming sites, it was that there wasn't anywhere to go that either didn't give a crap about it, or opposed it. Luckily now we have NicheGamer and TechRapptor, though TechRaptor is a bit over the top when it comes to pointing out SJW BS. Niche Gamer is just about the games, no political BS, so I hope they grow.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Nichegamer seems very anime focused if I remember correctly, or am I mistaken?

Personally i'd like a critical site that is actively challenging the industries practises, the publishers monopoly on developers creative rights, the dumbed down and streamlined nature of gameplay, the obsession over accessibility and the ensuing lack of challenge, the current popularity of degenerative "games" featuring no interaction, the lack of features that have diminished over the last twenty years, and why focusing on the core features of a title in a genre usually means less features overall.

One finds a few sites covering such issues but the only one really focused on this is usually the RPG Codex, which produces excellent editorials and whatnot but is rather too raw for my tastes.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, NicheGamer covers japanese stuff pretty heavily, but also major gaming stories and smaller devs. Covers Obsidian and inXile a bunch. The way they cover it I'd like to see them expand though. Which is a challenge because they got their advertising account suspended because GamerGate likes them. TechRaptor is pretty much fully on the GG side complaining about SJWs and such, so I can understand them being punished, but NicheGamer is simply the kind of site GG wants rather than a supporter.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Speaking of which since they had their ads pulled they need Patreonbux to survive if anyone here likes them enough to do that.

I believe they got their ads pulled because they accidentally enabled ads on a news piece about a lewd games, which is against the TOS, didn't they?

Gamesnosh is another site that's quite alright. Whoever is in charge of their twitter account needs to step up their game though. They only make a tweet once every other day and hardly ever tweet their articles.

Speaking of games sites can anyone here recommend me a PC-oriented gaming site that enjoys giving coverage to niche and overlooked titles?
I've been avoiding RPS, PCGamer and PCGamesN for a while now.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

By that logic, being a Nazi is actually quite a good thing. You're making social changes and damned everyone telling you otherwise.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I like how he attacks women simply because they do something he dislikes. Isn't the point of feminism is for women to be 100% in control of their lives including their body without being attacked for it?

Also, has been shown that these nazi SJWs have a double standard. They cry and moan over any woman in skimpy clothing but they'll **** in their panties (even if they are men!) if it's a half naked man and find that acceptable. LMAO

Plus, Ernest needs to wake up. The stereotype of blacks he describes is still popular and used. So his bullcrap that 'Hollywood wouldn't dare do x' is a pure myth.

\Also, women aren't treated like crap in Hollywood. One of the most successful tv producers/creators is a black woman. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's beside the point. They live in the fantasy that they alone have the power to decide on what is taboo and how society should conditioned to their needs, in the name of the "public" or "people" of course. Their final solution is to remove the white, christian male as anything positive culturally, socially and politically in our society and they have their good conscience on their side.

So yeah, what's the difference between them and the nazis really? Just replace a word here and there and you have the same ethos.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Except Nazis did more than just talk.

Certainly.

But i was talking about their ethos. Not their modus operandi.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy