Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

A generation that needs something to die for.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Milo is really pushing his "troll columnist" shtick to the limit, isn't he? :grin:

Here's everything Feminist Frequency can teach us about the effect of video games on society

EDIT: Oh wait, that from months ago.

This one is new though:

Am I The Only Responsible Tech Journalist Left on the planet?

"When you become popular and you’re also witty, charming, handsome, have great hair and are really humble as well, people love to tear you down. For instance, people love to try to pick holes in my reporting [...]"

--  I'm not even sure what to say to that.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

jPU6FSP.jpg

Huh. So I just realized what this snippet reminded me of:

Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority.gi

i4AJoI9.png

5UqxyDe.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

Those who do not learn from history etc.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Milo is really pushing his "troll columnist" shtick to the limit, isn't he? :grin:

Here's everything Feminist Frequency can teach us about the effect of video games on society

EDIT: Oh wait, that from months ago.

This one is new though:

Am I The Only Responsible Tech Journalist Left on the planet?

"When you become popular and you’re also witty, charming, handsome, have great hair and are really humble as well, people love to tear you down. For instance, people love to try to pick holes in my reporting [...]"

--  I'm not even sure what to say to that.

The guy is the modern court jester, sometimes you just can't help yourself from loving him (no homo).

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Milo can be hilarious or infuriating, depending on your political leanings (sometimes he's both).  Obviously everything he puts out needs to be taken with a grain teaspoon cup bucket of salt.  I've gotten my fair share of chuckles out of him.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5UqxyDe.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

Those who do not learn from history etc.

If you've read Seduction Of The Innocent, then Wertham's problems are stated there, by himself. While its nice that modern research has shown up Wertham's research for what it was, in the book itself he says something along the lines of having determined that comics were causing the increase in juvenile delinquency because all of the kids coming into his practice for help read comics.  This was without regard to the fact that for many years 90% of the kids were estimated to be regular comic readers.

Its like saying wearing shirts caused juvenile delinquency.  Its also worth pointing out that the CCA was as much a chance for publishers to destroy their two biggest rivals (EC and Lev Gleason) as it was trying to keep from being further scrutinized after Gaines' disastrous appearance at the Keffaufer hearings.

But there are a number of flaws when we look at a lot of these "this media is going to warp your kid" studies.  One I remember from the 70s or 80s involved proving that cartoons inspired kid violence by having kids watch cartoons and then giving them a balloon clown and showing how the kids were more likely to be more aggressive with it.  They forgot to mention in reports on the study, however, that the clown toy was a toy "punching bag", its whole purpose was to hit it, so kids were determined to be aggressive for interacting with the toy in its intended manner. 

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Videotyme about the recent events:

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, and one more (extra eyecandy to boot, sweet lord those milkjugs)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

CPth35jWUAAmzJd.jpg

WTF does that even mean? How does one "fail" sexually? MGTOW is just silly, or at least this guy is.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

CPth35jWUAAmzJd.jpg

WTF does that even mean? How does one "fail" sexually? MGTOW is just silly, or at least this guy is.

There's nothing silly about wearing leather outfits emblazoned with logos while waving a sign.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Is he wearing... trashbags?

It's a trash warning. It seems him being MGTOW makes caution needed. Just like Bill O'Reilly's no spin zone warrants caution.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Is he wearing... trashbags?

It's a trash warning. It seems him being MGTOW makes caution needed. Just like Bill O'Reilly's no spin zone warrants caution.

Well he is going his own way so I suppose that makes traffic difficult.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, even when THEY write it, uncensored profanities censored by the board system will still be removed.

People have been thrown in moderated status for consistently posting uncensored pics in other threads, like the funny things thread, in the past. I think that may become a thing again since nobody seems to still give a ****.

Yeah, even when THEY write it, uncensored profanities censored by the board system will still be removed.

People have been thrown in moderated status for consistently posting uncensored pics in other threads, like the funny things thread, in the past. I think that may become a thing again since nobody seems to still give a ****.

I don't think I've ever been on a forums where there is pretty extreme profanity censorship...in addition to that censorship policy being stringently pursued and upheld...and yet there seems to be a virtual free for all on trolling (and troll-like behavior)...and even outright flaming is allowed to some extent. What an odd forums I am on. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.