Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

^Wait, that's not fake?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dear lord, the utter stupidity.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

sadly no

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

As something gets popular enough she will find someway to unfairly criticize it and then label every criticism she gets in return as harassment with one example that actually was harassment.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people dislike the Anita/McIntosh posts & videos. However, understanding that perception of a large issue that you're not actively involved in is always unreliable, I have to say the first references to Anita in the GG/anti-GG writings I saw was the GG side bringing her in, not her inserting herself in.

Given that she's not a journalist but a "researcher", she seemed an odd target for a group that was arguing for ethics in journalism.  If the nightly news ran a daily story on the person who stands on a street corner preaching the end of the world and treated the claims as truth, tailoring their newscast to bolster the end of the world claims, you could certainly complain about the journalistic side of it, but complaining about the person preaching the end of the world is a fruitless endeavor.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

She is not an odd target. She's a journalist who has no ethics. She is also McIntosh's lap dog. She has been proven as a flat out liar.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anita is a journalist?  What publication(s) does she work for?  What games has she reviewed or previewed as a writer for said publication?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

She works for McIntosh. She gets PAID to report on stuff. That's being a professional. Independent (just b/c you don't work for NBC, CNN, or FOX doesn't mean  you don't qualify). She has 'reviewed' plenty of games.  She's paid to do speeches.

She works for McIntosh. She gets PAID to report on stuff. That's being a professional. Independent (just b/c you don't work for NBC, CNN, or FOX doesn't mean  you don't qualify). She has 'reviewed' plenty of games.  She's paid to do speeches.

I don't know if I would go as far as calling culture critics and bloggers journalists, that word still means something to me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

[...] journalists, that word still means something to me.

People who keep journals? :p

(But yeah, I wouldn't call McIntosh/Sarkesian journalists, either.)

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I don't know if I would go as far as calling culture critics and bloggers journalists, that word still means something to me.

I feel the same, which is why I've been calling Kotaku, Polygon, RPS, and others bloggers. Online columnists aren't journalists at all and it's more than a little insulting to actual journalists, dying breed that they are, to compare them to bloggers who post navel-gazing drivel.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Anita is a journalist?  What publication(s) does she work for?  What games has she reviewed or previewed as a writer for said publication?

I think she'd meet most of the criteria for a new media journalist.

Certainly so here, bloggers are journalists since 2014.

(Don't visit the blog mentioned in that article under any circumstances, not even to check whether I'm just being dramatic. You have been warned)

She gets paid for what she does. That makes her professional. Call her a blobber all you want that is what she is (it doesn't matter if she is good or bad at it as plenty of poor journalists et al.).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people dislike the Anita/McIntosh posts & videos. However, understanding that perception of a large issue that you're not actively involved in is always unreliable, I have to say the first references to Anita in the GG/anti-GG writings I saw was the GG side bringing her in, not her inserting herself in.

From what I recall, she came into it when the FF twitter account tweeted about it. Since then McIntosh has been poking gg for attention periodically.

The best course of action, imo, is to ignore FF(tweets and videos) because it isn't particularly noteworthy or relevant or of good quality. If the E3 announcements and success of The Witcher 3 are any indication, the opinions expressed haven't really managed to take hold with anyone outside an increasing irrelevant cabal of bloggers.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

you know that the best way to counteract attention ho' and trolls is to simply ignore them? seriously.... learn from the industry... they ignore the ramblings of some retard...

Well, they had years of practice.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3bw0vc/people_even_neogaf_founderadmin_evillore_is_tired/

The link the reddit topic goes to is currently dead, unfortunately, but I assume that'll be back sooner or later.

(edit): The reddit link may or may not be broken, too: with the current reddit crapstorm going on, the subreddit may disappear like a lot of others.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Daniel Vavra interview by Totilo.

It doesn’t matter that we are writing [a] story dealing with very touchy and controversial topics as hatred between Czechs and Germans, about anti-semitism or religious fanaticism. It doesn’t matter, that we are the first game about Czech culture and history. That’s not enough! We need to cover all the problems of all the people in the world in that one game, otherwise we are very bad people. And that is A – impossible, B – Insane, C – bull****.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Was about to post this in the RedditRevolt-thread, but it was more fitting here: https://archive.is/NP5mi

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

*snort* Moosa's back, almost made it to a week. Nothing like a good flounce.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A great discussion about games having to "grow up" and being more "mature". Maybe not what the SJWs mean, though :)

https://www.lewdgamer.com/2015/07/06/interview-mikandi-co-founder-jennifer-mcewen

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Another relevant video: 

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy