Music. Must. Go on!

Blarghagh

Occasionally I check the 'Billboard #1 hits' from 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45... years ago when I'm in the mood to listen to some music and want to hear something I haven't heard in awhile. Sometimes I post what I find here. Today, as I often do, I started out with the 30 years ago date (as I generally like the mid 80s music). Somewhat coincidentally....

30 years ago this week this song was the #1 song in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTE4uPAAlM

I've mixed feelings posting this as if Prince was still alive I wouldn't be able to. He and his people were very diligent in keeping Prince's music off of youtube. It seems that at least for now that isn't the case. As much as I love his music, there's a part of me that hopes it still is again in time.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

and am not posting just to cheese off guard dog. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Orbital - Halcyon

Wow, long time since I heard that one. Forgot how good it was.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Another song that few people know that it's a cover

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Whitney Houston got robbed at the 1987 Grammys.

There's no way Steve Winwood's Higher Love is a better record than Greatest Love of All.

While I personally prefer Whitney's song, as well as two of the other nominations (Warwick's and Gabriel's) to 'Higher Love', I don't think Whitney was robbed, and had I been voting I'd not have voted for the song, primarily as it was not an original song. I'd wager a bunch that many of those voting thought similarly. Either way, she did have stiff competition that year.

While remakes of songs are obviously allowed to be nominated, it is quite rare for it to happen. So far as I know there are only two remade songs to have ever won record of the year, one of which was Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You' in 1994 (the other Bobby Darin's 'Mack the Knife' in 1959; an entirely different era of music). It's a testament to just how talented a vocalist she was that not only was she nominated for remake of someone else's song twice, she actually won, once. And had I been voting in 1994, even though I'd have had the same reservations for voting for an unoriginal song as I would have in 1987, I'd have voted for Whitney that year. Two reasons: A) The competition in '87 was much stiffer, a good case could be made for all song but Palmer's to win in my opinion B) As awesome a song as 'Greatest Love of All' is (and I own it on cassette and CD), 'I WIll Always Love You' is better I think. It's Whitney at her best (and that's saying something), and I'd argue that if there was a Grammy award for 'record of the decade' 'I Will Always Love You' should certainly be nominated, if not win.

I'm a big Whitney fan, and the below is her best methinks. It's one of the most moving song recordings ever made, and over 20 years after I first heard it, it still moves me like very few other recordings do.

1994's Grammy Record of the Year Winner:

Edited by Valsuelm

It would be a kickass theme even if it was for some scrub, but it's that much better because it's the theme of a bona-fide legend.  I can picture him Yakuza Kicking dudes in the head every time I hear this.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Considering that I'm Hispanic and that its mother's day it is a safe assumption that that song will play sometime today...and we'll sing along.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif