Sleep : How much you have ?

BruceVC

I can vouch for the 4-5 hours being unsustainable. Its what I've been getting since my kids were born and I feel awful.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I get about 5 a night. Not enough but eh.

Wowzers...not enough if its consistently that much I imagine

How do you feel during the day on that much sleep ?

Gets worse as the week progresses, but generally nothing coffee a walk or rage can't compensate for

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does daydreaming count as sleep?

:lol:

No it doesn't ...but remember the importance of power naps, you only need 10-20 minutes 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 is the perfect amount for me. Usually I sleep 7 hours and the 1 additional hour is for just being in bed before and after sleep. I simply need this one hour of doze-tyme.

A few years back I was sleeping like 5 hours a day for a full year. In the beginning it was working good, but at some point I felt totally trashed every day until I managed to get myself into bed earlier.

This night I got only 5 hours again, because I couldn't stop playing silly games... and now I already regret it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

i dont count it, but i try to sleep as little as possible without impairing my health. i ll have enough time to sleep when i die, right now i have more important things to do (like finishing Pillars)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I average around 6-7 hours per night. If I nap I need at least an hour, short "cat naps" make me feel worse than when I laid down. :lol:

Its quite a coincidence but you see how many  of us have  6-7 hours  of optimal sleep, we all seem to be similar like that 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Does daydreaming count as sleep?

No, otherwise I'd never sleep. If it did, on the other hand, I don't think I'd ever be awake. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm an insomniac so it's hard to measure how much sleep I'm actually getting a night. I try to give myself an 8 hour window on weekdays, but that's going to be less than 7 actual hours in practice on most days. On weekends I'll typically be up 10 hours after first attempting to sleep, but again hard to say how much of that is actual sleep. Fortunately work has a degree of flexibility in hours, fortunately: no questions asked to about 10-10:30, though I can choose to turn up at 6 if I wanted to.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's hard for me to imagine functioning on less than 6 hours for a week.

Russians don't need sleep ...you guys are HARDCORE  !!!

:biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Back in my military service time there was a time I slept only 3 hours per night for 12 days due to unfortunate circumstances (2 Combat simulations 2x 3 - days with no sleep followed by night guard post duties, nightly ''Gas alarms'' etc.). 

After a week I slowly started to feel the lack of sleep. The first couple of days I was just dead tired, but after a week my joints hurt, the world felt slowed down, my back hurt, I had slight tunnel vision, my hearing was impaired (everything sounded like under water) and I started to see things like bugs in the corners of my eyes, my heart was racing and I ate all the time. I also stopped speaking unless I was asked a direct question. 

Strangely any tiredness was gone, though I'm pretty sure I fell asleep with my eyes open multiple times per day. Funnily I could keep up with the drills. 

I also felt like a robot since I was too wrecked to think complex thoughts, I followed the orders of my drill sergeant like a machine without any second thoughts. I'm sure if he had ordered me to do something terrible I would have done it because at this moment my brain was too impaired to question any orders. 

After that my sleeping patter was wrecked and it took me a long time to get back to normal sleep.  I never felt so awful in my entire life. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'd prefer to get 8-9 hours a night, but I usually end up with 6-7. I don't nap, it's just not something that I've ever done. As I've gotten older, I find I need more and more sleep, though it's possibly just untreated sleep apnea.

Granted, when I was younger, I could get by with 2-3 hours a night for a week or so, or none for 2-3 days. In college, I even read a 1200 page book and wrote a final paper on it in the 24 hours before it was due, and I got an A. If I tried that now, I'd fail miserably.

The longest I've ever slept was about 17 hours, but that was after being up for several days straight.

Edited by Vaeliorin

I try to get 8.

I usually get 7 and take a nap on Saturday or Sunday to restore the loss.

And talking about this has made me yawn...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Back when I was in the army, I'd have to pull all-nighters during exercises, which seriously wrecked me. It wasn't hunger, cold or stress that got me, it was lack of sleep. One of the very few things I'm honestly jealous of is the ability to function on 4-5 hours of sleep daily.

Oh, i know that feeling. You can eat, walk and carry, but your mind isn't really there and you end up with that thousand yard-stare. All the senses feel slightly numb and you cannot really think of anything. Yuck.

Even stranger is that feeling of being fully awake and active, even energetic and in a fraction of a second you are either walking into a door frame or your head hits your keyboard because your brain "disconnected" without any further notice, trying to force you to sleep ;)

During normal times, I get by with 5-6 hours of sleep. I should probably try to get 1 more on average, but meh, old age and all that. Crunch times gets harder and harder to recuperate from, especially when going for many weeks on 3-4 hours sleep only interrupted by all nighters (after which 4 hours of sleep feels like luxury, just closing your eyes... just for a moment... please?...) =]

I don't eat a lot before going to sleep, but i love ending the day with a large mug of coffee before passing out.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Back when I was in the army, I'd have to pull all-nighters during exercises, which seriously wrecked me. It wasn't hunger, cold or stress that got me, it was lack of sleep. One of the very few things I'm honestly jealous of is the ability to function on 4-5 hours of sleep daily.

Oh, i know that feeling. You can eat, walk and carry, but your mind isn't really there and you end up with that thousand yard-stare. All the senses feel slightly numb and you cannot really think of anything. Yuck.

Even stranger is that feeling of being fully awake and active, even energetic and in a fraction of a second you are either walking into a door frame or your head hits your keyboard because your brain "disconnected" without any further notice, trying to force you to sleep ;)

Yeah, funny how that works. I found that provided I kept physically active, fatigue didn't seem to be such a big deal. Howeer, sitting down just for a few minutes I was guaranteed to doze off, often without even realizing, only to wake up to a tongue lashing (and "muscle memory" reminders). Anything more complex than tying my boots was completely out of the question as I'd skip steps or make bungle due to shaking hands. Auto-pilot mode only. Fun times. -_-

My recipe for eternal life: lift hard, eat well, rest better. So far it's working...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That seems like it might do some damage in the long run. That and not really much to do during the awake periods in the middle of the night :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Supposedly getting less than 6 hours of sleep per night is worse for your heart than smoking.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Supposedly getting less than 6 hours of sleep per night is worse for your heart than smoking.

Well there are several sleep cycles according to sience: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/07/13/alternative-sleep-cycles-7-10-hours-is-not-needed/

Each with it´s own advantages and disadvantages. Which to me says "we just don´t know"  :D

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Sleep...definitely didn't get get enough last night. Too late to bed, too early to rise (the wake up syndrome). Now I can't stop yawning. But if I go back to sleep now, I won't wake up until evening, then I'll stay up too late, and ...

I don't know if not enough sleep is harmful to the heart in the long run but I do know intense struggling to stay awake can feel mighty exhausting physically in the short term - fighting a tide as it were.  But the two things aren't always mutually tied together. Sometimes you can get little sleep and it's not much of a struggle to just stay awake, other times the lead weights never come off.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sleep...definitely didn't get get enough last night. Too late to bed, too early to rise (the wake up syndrome). Now I can't stop yawning. But if I go back to sleep now, I won't wake up until evening, then I'll stay up too late, and ...

I don't know if not enough sleep is harmful to the heart in the long run but I do know intense struggling to stay awake can feel mighty exhausting physically in the short term - fighting a tide as it were.  But the two things aren't always mutually tied together. Sometimes you can get little sleep and it's not much of a struggle to just stay awake, other times the lead weights never come off.

The worst thing about struggling to stay awake (because you have to for whatever reasons) is when you reach that point, where suddenly you are awake again and can´t find any sleep despite now having the time for it.

As for health issues, i think that heart thing is not proven, considering there are people who have a rare illness who can´t sleep at ALL, some of them for years over years, yet despite some very odd issues they are healthy. Again leading to sience having no idea at all just ideas.

Edit: As a side note, i´m a night owl, i always sleep during the day when i can, that has never been different, and i find it fascinating how people around me or better new ones i met are always irritated by this fact and try to convince me of their folk wisdom on how wrong this is. Or try to berate me like a child on the subject without them knowing anything or any basis for a discussion. Talk about ignorance :)

Edited by cirdanx
  • Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Edit: As a side note, i´m a night owl, i always sleep during the day when i can, that has never been different, and i find it fascinating how people around me or better new ones i met are always irritated by this fact and try to convince me of their folk wisdom on how wrong this is. Or try to berate me like a child on the subject without them knowing anything or any basis for a discussion. Talk about ignorance :)

As a fellow night owl I share your pain. People view me as completely alien or think I'm a lazy bum when I wake up around 11 am - even though I was working till 4-5 am.

Fact is I love the night, I have no problems staying fresh and awake without sunlight, I can concentrate MUCH better at the night. I even lift weights at 11pm and go for walks after midnight.

I usually go to bed around 4-5 am and wake up around 10-11 am, I take a 1 hour nap around 5pm.  Being self employed is awesome in this aspect.

Oh, and fun fact, supposedly Adolf Hitler had the exact same sleeping rhythm.  :blink:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.