Sleep : How much you have ?

BruceVC

Edit: As a side note, i´m a night owl, i always sleep during the day when i can, that has never been different, and i find it fascinating how people around me or better new ones i met are always irritated by this fact and try to convince me of their folk wisdom on how wrong this is. Or try to berate me like a child on the subject without them knowing anything or any basis for a discussion. Talk about ignorance :)

As a fellow night owl I share your pain. People view me as completely alien or think I'm a lazy bum when I wake up around 11 am - even though I was working till 4-5 am.

Fact is I love the night, I have no problems staying fresh and awake without sunlight, I can concentrate MUCH better at the night. I even lift weights at 11pm and go for walks after midnight.

I usually go to bed around 4-5 am and wake up around 10-11 am, I take a 1 hour nap around 5pm.  Being self employed is awesome in this aspect.

Oh how often i have heared the lazy bum thing, but i really live up at night, i´m the most productive during this time too and in fact just love it. The silence around me when talking a walk at night is really relaxing, being a cat owner in a small village i get even company somtimes on my walkes by him. (that probably even sounds more alien to more people) My bed times are a bit off right now but that has more to do with the fact that i care for my dad. And according to my tests results, i´m mostly healthy too...so much for not sleeping during the night being unhealthy. :x

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I generally need 7-8 hours, more after exercising. I can function with less in the short term, but doing it for more than 2-3 days in a row, my migraine is bound to cause problems. Since said migraine is generally presaged by visual disturbances that cover most of my field of vision, which can be extremely inconvenient (I can't really function when effectively blind), I generally strive to get all the sleep I need and then some.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Supposedly getting less than 6 hours of sleep per night is worse for your heart than smoking.

There's a lot of contradictory information out there. Several studies say that sleeping more than 8 hours a night is worse for you than sleep deprivation is.

I'm considering trying out biphasic segmented sleep - research suggets its a more natural way to sleep and is how people slept before the industrial revolution and electric lights changed everything. You sleep for a couple of hours, wake up and do some stuff for an hour or two, and then sleep another few hours. You need slightly less sleep and it fixes a lot of problems with hormones. Because it's actually the natural way to sleep, it doesn't take much of an adjustment.

I'm interested in other forms of polyphasic sleep too, but most of those have adjustment periods of 3-4 months that are hell to get through, so I doubt they're actually good for you.

Four hours a night regularly, with an occasional slumber that lasts around twelve to fourteen hours once a fortnight or so. Slept like this ever since I was a wee sprat.

I really do like to be out and about before dawn, the quiet world, the fresh air, the brightening skies, a perfect time for exercise and self contemplation. It puts the proper perspective on a day at work, and within the metropolis.

Edit: The only difficulty is in trying not to wake ones family, but many years of practise have lent me some experience in stealth.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!