What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

I think he gets too much flak. I don't think his acting was bad (not that he's the best) but it was more the role. Playing the preordained Chosen One is just not fine for the cool kids. He did some decent work in it. Too bad he's a complete douche in real life.

TNG is the best ST anyways. The others aren't even  close to it in quality.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

whatever, Wil is a personal hero and i follow his tweets because we like the same beers although i hope he trims the beard soon 

also, i posted this in January, but it remains required reading for anything TNG related

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Watching this Star Trek: Next Generation HD series on your esteemed advice gentlemen, three observations so far: The quality dips and crests from nadir to zenith on almost every episode, it seems that either the writers, the producers or the directors had varying takes on the approaches one should take and this resulted in massive variance. Patrick Stewart holds the whole thing together with an ease and charisma that really shows how unconvincing some of the other cast are, perhaps a little harsh but i'm failing to warm to the auxillary members. Please tell me that Wesley Crusher is not in too many episodes, that child is unbearable.

The deal with Wesley is a bit complicated. Not only is he a Eugene Wesley Roddenberry stand-in he was also written as an obnoxious Mary Sue because of that. To be perfectly honest, even if that sounds unappreciative and maybe a little callous, it is not much of a surprise that TNG only really picked up after Roddenberry couldn't interfere with the production any longer.

He also features prominently in a bunch of episodes where he saves the day and makes the other officers look stupid, but that kind of was a side effect of the writer's strike of that time. Allegedly a bunch of scripts were submitted from which to choose one where Wesley gets to show off but they ended up filming all of them because of the lack of new material.

It's been said before but the gets put on a shuttle soon enough and then there is this one sweet time later on where he gets what he had coming. Oh, and another minor piece of advice. Do yourself a favor - when you reach season 7, pretend episode 20 ('"Journey's End") doesn't exist. Those of us unfortunate enough to have seen the original run or watched it later without that advice are scarred for life, but maybe you can avoid it. :)

No really, I'm serious. Don't give in and don't be curious.

I think he gets too much flak. I don't think his acting was bad (not that he's the best) but it was more the role. Playing the preordained Chosen One is just not fine for the cool kids. He did some decent work in it. Too bad he's a complete douche in real life.

TNG is the best ST anyways. The others aren't even  close to it in quality.

That's not entirely accurate. I think you're right about Wil Wheaton, none of the scripts were his fault at all (well how could they), but DS9 was, quality wise, leaps and bounds ahead of the other Trek series, and Avery Brooks could easily ham it up to Shatner to boot - and before you say anything about the lame first two seasons of DS9, seasons one and two of TNG were horrible as well.

On the other hand DS9 was the least Star Trek of all Star Trek. Well, except those JJ abominations.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Once DS9 gets into the war with the Klingons and the Dominion invasion it becomes the best Trek hands down.

Though season 4 of Enterprise was still damn good. Minus the finale.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Once DS9 gets into the war with the Klingons and the Dominion invasion it becomes the best Trek hands down.

Though season 4 of Enterprise was still damn good. Minus the finale.

Indeed, DS9 is the best of all the series. Well, except for Vic Fontaine, he's almost as bad as Wesley.

Leave Wesley alone, at least he had a hot mom.

Who was absent for season 2, and the replacement had the charisma and cast synergy of a burning pile of old tires. *shiver* ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Killjoys

Watched the first 8 episodes and its not bad. Seems like a slightly more violent version of Dark Matter.

I like the characters of Dark Matter better, and the world of Killjoys better.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Killjoys

Watched the first 8 episodes and its not bad. Seems like a slightly more violent version of Dark Matter.

It struck me as a kind of wanna be Firefly with a female Mal.  That's not a bad thing, it's a pretty decent show (it and Dark Matter are better than most of the stuff Syfy has put out lately.)

It was created by the same person who created Lost Girl (which I'm annoyed they split the final season in half, and the second half isn't being shown until 2016, but that's neither here nor there.)

• Like 1

Killjoys

Watched the first 8 episodes and its not bad. Seems like a slightly more violent version of Dark Matter.

It struck me as a kind of wanna be Firefly with a female Mal. That's not a bad thing, it's a pretty decent show (it and Dark Matter are better than most of the stuff Syfy has put out lately.)

It was created by the same person who created Lost Girl (which I'm annoyed they split the final season in half, and the second half isn't being shown until 2016, but that's neither here nor there.)

I don't get what Showcase is doing with their original series. Lost Girl and Continuum were their top rated shows and they've treated them like crap Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wesley is the worst part of TNG and DS9 is the best Trek.

Other than that, True Detective S2 was quite the disappointment.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Wesley is the worst part of TNG and DS9 is the best Trek.

Other than that, True Detective S2 was quite the disappointment.

Really ..you didn't like TD 2? Why would you say that....was it the deaths at the end ? 

I did battle to follow certain parts of the plot but I still enjoyed in thoroughly

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched the Lucifer pilot.

So, I do say it's really disappointing that they're stepping so far from the source material to cram in a fuzzy police procedural to the matter. But I'll balance that by saying for a supernatural tinged police procedural (and a pilot) it was amusingly engaging at what it was doing. I think I'll be curious enough to see what a few more episodes might shape up like before I decide firmly on the matter.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

TOS is the best Trek, IMO.

TNG went from exploring new worlds and civilizations of the old series to being a galactic taxi service for ambassadors in between fighting the Borg.

DS9 was pretty good, though.

Voyager wasn't a bad idea and it had a game cast but kind of became "alien of the week" for much of its run until they became "alien of the week" in between fighting the Borg.

Enterprise just didn't gel; it summed up the post TOS series pretty well in that it totally failed to work as an adventure show where they explored the unknown to find what was there. Which - unlike TNG and Voyager - was the point of the show making it a glaring issue.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIP Yvonne Craig - http://www.yvonnecraig.com/news/2015/08/19/a-word-from-yvonne-craigs-family/

Besides being Batman's original Batgirl, she also did a memorable turn on STAR TREK amid many credits in television (Man from UNCLE, Six Million Dollar Man, Love Boat, Wagon Train, Tales of Wales Fargo, Wild Wild West)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watch almost zero TV these days, but thought I'd share:

3vYdOxw.png

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

shomi, Rogers and Shaw's answer to Netflix in Canada opened up to non-Rogers and Shaw customers yesterday. Its got a pretty good library, but the service has a way to go. Its slow to navigate and playback quality is only so-so.

All the Star Trek talk has made me want to go back and watch some. Been eating my way slowly through DS9, its incredible the jump in quality the first 3 episodes of season 2 had over season 1. Once I'm done that I'll probably go back and do TNG, then Voyager. Enterprise I already binged a couple years ago, while the others I hadn't really watched since they originally aired.

Devastatorsig.jpg