What are you playing now?

Still playing a bit of Alien Isolation. Level design is pretty good, with form always following function, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine. The feel of the game is pretty much spot-on, it's the closest to being in an Alien movie I've seen. Eavesdropping on survivors is pretty cool, as is hunting for logs and personal recordings throughout Sevastopol.

Unfortunately, they screwed up what is arguably the most important aspect of the game: the actual survival gameplay. Appearances of the alien are scripted, and when it's supposed to show up, it's constantly glued to your ass, in true psychic fashion. It'll tirelessly hound you until you leave the level, roaming incessantly. On the other hand, it's really easy to avoid it (and I'm playing on hard) — just duck behind a counter or under a hospital bed and if you can't see its head, it cannot find you. Two or three hours after you've seen the xenomorph for the first time, it has stopped being scary and it simply becomes a tedious obstacle to progressing through levels because it's so predictable and it's shown on screen so often.

Leading it to groups of unwashed looters and watching the ensuing carnage from behind a box never gets old, though. However, I'm playing as Ripley, not Carter Burke, so I usually don't give in to temptation and I reload if I do... o:)

Pillars of Eternity PSA: Don't equip items by double-clicking on them, otherwise you lose all non-equipment active effects...permanently, including racial and class ones. All I've been doing this entire time has been double-clicking. :( Gonna wait a few days until some of the worst bugs are cleaned up to keep playing...

Wow, what the hell? How does something like that go unnoticed through beta testing? And that's with backers involved... I guess that means the character is b0rked?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nope, tested it. Double clicked various items and my stats do not change. Even made a new character just for testing and it stays all the same.

At least my ranger character noticed no change at all.

PS: I found out the game puts your savegames in "sub folders" in the menu. So if you start a new game with a new character, the savegames won't mix up with your other saves. cool.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Don't think it's a bug I have either. There are definitely some glitches/bugs etc, some bad, but most of them don't seem (so far) to be affecting a large percentage of people, imo. Next version should fix a lot of them, sounds like.

...I wouldn't mind getting the super-stat Durance/companion glitch, however, just for the lulz.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

http://webmup.com/HArIv/vid.webm

http://webmup.com/aDSfX/vid.webm

You can see it in play in those. From reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/ I checked like the top fifty or so comment parents, and literally only one person said it didn't do it for them...who then edited their post to say that it did, but it took a few tries. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ok, swapped armor with Kana now too and it indeed happens. So... yeah... better don't swap armors like this, just in case.

/Edit: A bit deeper down on that reddit thread:

You can reset this for npcs by removing them from your party! When you add them back, their passives return.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, after that and a quick look at the tech support forum, as is custom for OE games, I:

Think I'm gonna shelf PoE until the worst bugs get ironed out, perhaps a week semester or so.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ok, swapped armor with Kana now too and it indeed happens. So... yeah... better don't swap armors like this, just in case.

/Edit: A bit deeper down on that reddit thread:

You can reset this for npcs by removing them from your party! When you add them back, their passives return.

Yep, I saw that. Unfortunately, you can't do that for your PC, and have to fiddle around with the console to get stuff fixed maybe. I don't know what I've lost, if anything, to begin with, so like 213374U, I'll just be waiting it out. :p Not to mention, I kind of want to restart and go back on hard mode - normal's been a bit too easy. Not exactly a cakewalk, but not hard enough.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I've been lucky enough to avoid the bug as I've been drag and dropping everything.  Hopefully the fix shows up soon, though, as I'm bound to double-click by accident sooner or later, especially since double-clicking is how you split stacks (it took me forever to figure that out since I'm so used to shift+click).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've been enjoying my run around with my Cipher a fair bit. Especially with Detonate. It's fun. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I hate spirits.  I really really hate spirits.  Shadows, phantoms, shades, etc.  Holding the line?  Tactical combat?  Ahahahahahaha!  They just teleport right through you.  Status effects?  It's really fun constantly having 2 or 3 of them stacked on your characters.   :p

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah. They usually teleport right next to my ranged folks, who can't really stand a chance against them.

Though, at least it forced me to become a little more creative in combat. Had to fight like 5 and more of them at once, which resulted in me using all availble skills I got for my magic dudes. Also I learned to like the chanter with his skeleton spell who die like flies, but distract the enemy for a few seconds.

Saw a post where if you cram your party in a circle formation with casters in the middle, they can't teleport next to them because of collision. Course, doesn't mean you can easily do that all the time.

The collision detection+AI is actually quite annoying at times, when your party members start to move to attack, can't get close enough because of other party members, and then just stand there staring at their companions backs doing nothing, making the micromanagement even worse. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Trying to get into the enhanced edition of BG 2. Not sure if it was worth the money though, mods still offer more...but anyway only 3 days left until i get my hands on Pillars. Soooo excited :blink:

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I recently bought all the DLC for Borderlands 2 (in a Steam sale, naturally) and I've been playing through that.

I finished Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep today. I think that may be the best DLC I've ever played.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I finished Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep today. I think that may be the best DLC I've ever played.

Pretty much what I said when we went through that one.

I still haven't gotten to defiance Bay, i'm hoping the story will pick up from there as so far I haven't really been drawn by anything.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Got my first crash to desktop in PoE.  I suppose 1 CTD in over 18 hours of playing isn't bad.  I save often so I only lost about 5 minutes of play time. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I still haven't gotten to defiance Bay, i'm hoping the story will pick up from there as so far I haven't really been drawn by anything.

Kind of feeling the same. I had a slight sadface reaction after the tutorial but nothing since then. But at least my companions are making me chuckle. I think the writing/story is fine/servicable, but nothing is really hitting me on an emotional level yet.

But I haven't gotten to Defiance Bay yet either. I think I'm close but I keep getting distracted.

Also playing PoE, having some trouble with the combat system. Or maybe starting out as a wizard was a mistake as doing the Temple with two wizards and a fighter was rather a painful affair (at least the second floor was) and I feel like I got through some of the hard fights more by sheer luck than skill (and cheesing them by just unloading everything and heading back for more resting supplies, of course).

Enjoying the setting, the art and the dialogue so far but the "aggro" system will have to grow on me (I also dislike having a designated "tank" with "tanking skills", which is something I consider a MMO-ism, but I was aware that was gonna be in, spoke out against it when it was proposed etc, so whatever).

I think I have about 5 hours so far in this game after restarting a few times to check out some classes. Really enjoying the cipher class. Ended up hiring a mercenary and running around wih a group of five so far and am going very slow but with the five, the game has seems too hard so far which I'm assuming will change soon enough.

Overall, good music, atmosphere, combat, and characters so far. Just fun gameplay that takes me back. I haven't read many reviews for fear of spoiling anything but I can't understand how any reviewer has marked graphics as a con? This game looks gorgeous and is exactly what any fan of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale could hope for in this day and age. Thanks again Obsidian.

Taking a break from PoE after I noted a weird thing. Act III, I got the return to face Lord Raedric's Challenge quest, turned up, I came, I saw, I killed his ass. I got an exceptional reputation boost with Gilded Vale, picked up the loot, looked around took the exit down through the keep, and suddenly got hit by a large reputation penalty to Gilded Vale.

No idea what caused that. Quirky.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Kind of feeling the same. I had a slight sadface reaction after the tutorial but nothing since then. But at least my companions are making me chuckle. I think the writing/story is fine/servicable, but nothing is really hitting me on an emotional level yet.

But I haven't gotten to Defiance Bay yet either. I think I'm close but I keep getting distracted.

I'm not getting a super strong emotional reaction yet, nothing like PST at least, but I've had quite a few chuckles and moving moments, one or two actual laughs!

The game can be a real slow burner if you want it to be, I've been in Defiance for a couple of days and only just decided to pick up the main story thread, things have finally start to get more intriguing and twisty, I hope it continues  :thumbsup:

21 hours in and I finally got my full party.  I'm nearing Defiance Bay but my next trip will likely be back to Gilded Vale to sell off some stuff.  I want to initiate the next round of stronghold upgrades but don't have enough cash on hand to do it, so I need to visit a merchant.  I hate travelling while no work is being done on my stronghold.  It seems so inefficient.  I will almost certainly meet merchants in Defiance Bay, but I'm not sure how much further I need to go to get there and going back to Gilded Vale seems the safer bet.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The game can be a real slow burner if you want it to be,

Definitely that, but I also mean I haven't had time/energy to put as many hours in as I want to, after my initial starting burst. An hour or two here and there, no marathon-like sessions yet. :(

...it was interesting, however, how super-fast the tutorial section + getting to G. Vale went doing it a 2nd time. I mean, the sort of major difference where you're left wondering what the heck you were doing all that time, the first time. :lol:

I'm starting to explore the crafting in PoE and I like it.  Not overly complicated, but you can create some pretty sweet gear.  I like the fact you can take an interesting weapon that is unique and buff it to still be good for the later levels.

• Like 2