Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I really don't like these constant movie restarts. I don't think I feel motivated to watch the new Fantastic Four movie, just like I never felt motivated to watch the latest Spiderman.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm psyched for the next Spidey, because I want to see whata team that actually gets the character can do. Marvel hasn't done a bad movie yet.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

-snip-

GRRMDARK WHAAAA.

Gimme Marvels' current output over this any day.

Idk, I prefer the DC universe to that of Marvel. To me DC always had more substance to it, though I never went terribly deep in to Marvel.

The only books I follow from Marvel are Deadpool and Thor, and they kind of killed Thor with this new female thor stuff.

As far as the movies go, Nolan's Batman blows anything from Disney/Marvel out of the water.

All that being said, Manga blows western comics out of the water, so there is that. :)

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Jupiter Ascending.

Some glorious visual spectacle, with some plot silliness, wrapped inside vague space opera and a touch of "dear god, how did they say those lines with straight faces". I enjoyed it for what it was. A little bit of camp, a touch of silly, some humour, and lots of pretty.

In a lot of ways it does feel like The Matrix, just... in outer space rather than virtual reality, and with all cool martials art fight sequences changed to aerial acrobatics / flight, space opera shoot outs.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Mortdecai and I'm not quite sure what I made of it.

It's quirky and it's got a fair few amusing moments, but something didn't feel quite right. Johnny Depp playing that caricature of a scoundrelish, insolvent, art dealing English Lord, who is deeply in love with his wife (Gwyneth Paltrow), and aided by his Manservant/Thug Jock (played pitch perfectly by Paul Bettany). In a tale about stolen art being chased by anarchist terrorists, the Russian mafia, and MI5.  You have a slightly weasel-like performance from Ewan McGregor as the MI5 agent who used to go to school with  Depp's character and is also deeply in love with his wife...  Jeff Goldblum doing an appearance as the rich American, and even Paul Whitehouse turning up as a mechanic slash fence.

I think it has that almost surreal feel of a Wes Anderson movie without quite hitting it. That mix of slightly over the top caricatures playing it ever so seriously while being quite silly. Maybe it's Depp playing too many of those types these days, but I will say Bettany pretty much stole every scene he was in.

mordecai was trash

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

That filtering makes everyone look sickly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The whole over-filtered thing in films/TV is getting somewhat annoying, whether it's desaturation or oversaturation or sepia or grey or blue or yellow filters. Sometimes of course it's a nice effect for a scene or to set a tone, but yeah...sometimes it's nice when they just let things have more natural coloring.

Nothing wrong with the world (colors) looking like a world we would see with our actual eyes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I kinda like the new Joker look

CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

Figured I should include what I'm talking aboot, eh

I don't know, I'm not hating it judging it only as a look, but it doesn't seem particularly true to the character to me. The Joker doesn't strike me as someone who can even sit still long enough to have someone tattoo on him, let alone letting them being "badass" tattoos rather than some kind of horrible joke.

He traded his soul for Cubans, I'm sure that the man wouldn't have the same ink as a juggalo.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Watched

Ex Machina (2015) - nice, tension building sci-fi film about a guy secretly brought in to test an AI but can anyone (even the main character) be trusted?  Really well done, I thought.

Lightning Bolt (1965) - part of the Eurospy movement; sadly not a great entry and not one of the entries that are so bad its good.  Fitfully engaging, but it felt like there was a much better film in the material than what was delivered.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIPD - I had pretty low expectations going into this one, given the drubbing it got by critics.  But it was actually a pretty fun little action comedy.  Kevin Bacon was clearly having fun as the bad guy, and Jeff Bridges was entertaining as a Buffalo Bill Hickock impersonator.  It was silly, sure, but I enjoyed it.  Kind of a poor man's MIB.  

Yeah I enjoyed RIPD too - its hard to believe it took a 15 years for someone to try a legitimate Big Budget MiB clone.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I kinda like the new Joker look

CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

Figured I should include what I'm talking aboot, eh

I don't know, I'm not hating it judging it only as a look, but it doesn't seem particularly true to the character to me. The Joker doesn't strike me as someone who can even sit still long enough to have someone tattoo on him, let alone letting them being "badass" tattoos rather than some kind of horrible joke.

Looks more like the lead singer of an angsty teen rock band to me.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Terrible

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hero (2004)

What's nice about it:

• Damn it's beautiful (in the visual sense). Takes "art direction" to a whole new level.
  • The story was also suspenseful/interesting enough to keep us engaged.

What's cringe-worthy about it:

• The "moral of the story" is thinly veiled pro-Chinese-government propaganda; especially troubling when viewed in light of the Tibet conflict.
  • The fighting scenes descend into somewhat ridiculous levels of surrealism. More so than in other popular films of the genre.

All in all I can recommend it, but keep your wits about you when it delivers its "message".

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

That seems about right. The most beautiful looking bad movie.

I like the nationalist message

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Taken, the "extended" cut. Mostly, it's interesting to note the tiny bits they removed to get the PG-13 rating (I think that's why). I mean, sometimes these 1 frame bits. Hardly anything, really. It's all so silly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Avengers Age of Ultron.

Honestly, it's pretty much a rehash of the first movie with Ultron and robots substituted for Loki and aliens. Decent enough spectacle, but very light on substance.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands