What you did today

Tale

Three days this week in Mission Hills, primo view of downtown, Lindbergh Field, Coronado Island, North Island Naval Air Station, Point Loma, and MCRD ... I could even see individual recruits getting pitted and double-timing the perimeter of the obstacle course. Could just make out the parade deck ... 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Three days this week in Mission Hills, primo view of downtown, Lindbergh Field, Coronado Island, North Island Naval Air Station, Point Loma, and MCRD ... I could even see individual recruits getting pitted and double-timing the perimeter of the obstacle course. Could just make out the parade deck ... 

Bring back any memories?

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Picked up Zbrush sculpting in my lunch breaks the last month because I'm sick of modeling stuff in 3D Max. It's wonderfully intuitive and much more artistic compared to the more technical modeling technique in Max and such programs. My first few attempts were awful but here's my latest result (not finished, but I wanted to share it anyway), about a week and a half's worth of lunch breaks:

the traditional view is that it makes a real mess of the polycount and you wind up with artifacts that are going to carry over in shading. 3ds boxmodeling is bloody hopeless though. A lot of people still swear by it as the place to start.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Well those things are pretty easily solved, though. Dynamesh and a high enough polycount pretty much prevent most artifacts and then you retopologize it and export what you have as texture maps. What I like about ZBrush now that I'm using it is that I'm focusing on the creation and how it looks the entire time and not being distracted by worrying about the technical aspect of making sure my polyflow is correct the whole time, which can wait until retopologizing. It's compartmentalized the artistic and technical parts making it easier to focus on both.

I'm generally the rigger/animator at work though, so I'm still going to be stuck with everyone else's crappy polyflow. I've yelled at these people so often about how a model won't deform right when animated unless you have proper edge loops that I've become convinced they think it's funny and do it on purpose.

Today my idiot farmer neighbor decided to cut down a beautiful, healthy tree -which flowered beautifully with large white blossoms each spring- for pretty much no reason at all. He told me he found it annoying and he had no use for it and since it was growing on his property he got rid of it. I told him that for every tree he cuts down for no reason I'll plant two new ones in my garden. 

I guess some people are blind to beauty and only find satisfaction in destruction. I pity their empty lives. 

Oh my, I probably sound like an angry Elf now. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Bring back any memories?

So, so many. 25 years this year and I still remember our SDI and DI's names, platoon number, drill commands, all of it. I was 17, on firewatch in the recruit barracks looking through the porthole to the blinking lights of Mission Hills, the same place I was at this week, as a senior citizen of 42.   

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

a senior citizen of 42.   

Ha!  Not a senior citizen.  Just... broken in.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hiya Cant - congrats on the weight loss and wishing you continued success! :)

...Note to self: should probably avoid any dances that resemble The Twist on speed. Painful/swollen knees today, first time in a while. Sitting around with knees up etc. Oh well, I suppose it was worth it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yesterday I was lucky enough to engage in several nsfw activities and am now wondering if I'm going to be throwing up or going insane.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Isnt it weird how the Vegas strip homeless were only found on the pedestrian overpasses? Cops must not be able / willing to chase them off. :lol:

... The way that you posted this makes me have a vision of a homeless girl stripping for cash on the overpass...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been training/learning the route I'll be delivering papers to during the week, jogging/walking with my mate while he tells me how the district works all the while discussing roleplaying games and adventures, ideas and what not.

Good fun that took away the fact that I was jogging in stairs and carting around bundles of newspapers for hours. Surprised I was'nt more tired the first few days, but I was pretty damn worn out last night. Might've been the couch I've been "sleeping" on, but still.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Bring back any memories?

So, so many. 25 years this year and I still remember our SDI and DI's names, platoon number, drill commands, all of it. I was 17, on firewatch in the recruit barracks looking through the porthole to the blinking lights of Mission Hills, the same place I was at this week, as a senior citizen of 42.   

I think MCRD San Diego would be harder to deal with. Parris Island is remote. When you are there it is nothing but Marine Corps as far as the eye can see. By the end of Forming Week you hardly remember there is anything else. In San Diego it's all around you.

It's a funny thing isn't it? Boot Camp is such a small part of the Marine Corps experience but it's always the thing you remember the most. MCT was more physically demanding than boot camp. Hell PT in the fleet was often more demanding with real consequences for not doing well in it. I was in for five years. I served in seven states and five countries. I met countless people but the three names I remember the most are Sgt Crosby, Sgt Cundiff & Sgt Simmons. Strange how that works.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today damaged nerves around my throat have been hurting a lot, it feels like someone is running a hot razor down the sides of my neck. Those nerves rarely hurt but when they do its highly irritating. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Went out to brunch at a place called Linger. The food was good but when I looked out the window there was a line for the little ice cream joint next door. It was 28 degrees

10981612_10153060609296223_7774902181891

The line was longer before I finally figured I should take a picture

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

we loathe bioware romances (give it a sec, we is going someplace with this) and we thinks that the biowarians pandering to the lgbt community to give'em equal treatment with the romances is a ridiculous waste of resources that could be better spent on, well, anything else.  even so, we got no animosity for the the lgbt community with one exception: we will never forgive gay men who has attempted to hijack sunday brunch.

when did brunch become a meal for gay men? yes, we like show tunes and we is a single man in our 40s, but nothing seems to incorrectly set off the gaydar of every lgbt we know as does a suggestion to go out to brunch.  we should need not have to offer an "alternative" explanation for why we like brunch. we do not enjoy sitting around with a bottomless mimosa, gossiping about __________ 's hair or ____________ 's makeup. heck, without input from a gay friend, we can't tell the difference 'tween a suit from dolce & gabanna or the men's wearhouse. even so, we like brunch.

you promancers want us to budge on romance in games? fine. give us back our brunch.

thus ends the nonsense rant o' the day for Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Went out to brunch at a place called Linger

You are doing high-altitude living correctly. Linger Mortuaries, the best restaurant sign ever.

A friend of mine refuses to eat there because it used to be a mortuary

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

My stomach is a mortuary for all manner of dead beasts.  As long as the meat is cooked, I have no problem eating in a former mortuary.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

we can't tell the difference 'tween a suit from dolce & gabanna or the men's wearhouse. even so, we like brunch.

HA! Good Fun!

A nonsense post, what, is there such a thing. I'll try. I like brunch, and mimosas especially, no matter who may claim their pervue. I also enjoy spotting the Lucky Brand logo on back pockets of men or women, just because it's fun to know when someone likes what you like. Which is why I hang out here, and the comic shop, where people who flock the same feather, and all that. It's reassuring, uplifting.  

*oh, I'm being told it's purview. See, told you, nonsense.

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Listened to Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" 9876980986 times while reading a novel and playing a bit of game (the latter two not both at once).

Ate some dinner. Gave cat some dinner. Watched TV. Ate small bowl of popcorn. Gave cat some popcorn. Ate small bowl of ice cream. Gave cat some ice cream. Now going to bed. Cat does not get to share that one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Left my computer on tonight to render, woke up and for some reason it was turned off. Turned it back on, kept asking for boot disk because it couldn't find windows. Rebooted it a couple of times, took the battery out and the power off and everything, still kept asking for boot disk. Put in bootdisk, bootdisk gives error. Computer turn off. I turn it back on, it starts "resuming windows" and windows opens up just as it was when I went to bed, all my renders done.

What the f... I don't know what that was, but I'm backing up everything I have as we speak.

Yep, random disk issues are never good. Wonder if a cable or part was loose though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra