What you did today

Rosbjerg

Human beings are indeed disgusting things

Speak for yourself.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's been over a year since I've done any Windows updating. Yes, I'm like that. So I finally get around to it, check the ones I want, hit "do it" ... an hour later it's still downloading. It's not huge size wise. For a long time it was stuck at 0%. Now it's almost done downloading.

Also, accidentally deleted the Administrative/Summary error log file thingie Windows has. I wonder if that'll make anything explode. I'm hoping it'll just recreate itself...

I used to love computers/being a geek about how they work, diving into their innards. Yeah, I'm so over that now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally...all updated. That took forever.

The past few months I've had more eyestrain/fatigue when at the pc for hours. Dry eyes, almost but not quite headaches, that sort of thing. I read some articles about blue light/monitors/melatonin and other stuff, so I bought some amber/polarizing sunglasses and tried wearing them if doing something like gaming or whatever for long periods. It doesn't help me get to sleep any earlier, and I have no clue about retinal damages, but it sure helps with the eye fatigue.

Only problem is that it means I'm "one of those douchebags who wear sunglasses at night." ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Work email archiving is becoming an epic task, with my craptastic PC here. Rather boggling how large my .pst files are, the smallest is 4 gigs. 95% of it is irrelevant too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh my god I just had to look that up and I realize I've been using the word jealousy wrong for my entire English speaking life. Our translation for jealous and envious are the same word so I always just figured they were synonyms in English. :mellow: Now I'm envious AND ashamed.

• Like 2

Oh my god I just had to look that up and I realize I've been using the word jealousy wrong for my entire English speaking life. Our translation for jealous and envious are the same word so I always just figured they were synonyms in English. :mellow: Now I'm envious AND ashamed.

No I don't think you used the word jealous in the wrong context, both envious and jealousy would be applicable

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jealous

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh, huh. Well, now I'm jealous and relieved. That's weird. :lol:

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I thought Jealous and envious were the same.

Fwiiw.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think I ****ed up on my Chem final. [Rants on why an Economics major even needs that ****]

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Just got home from a work trip to Atlanta. Got tickets to see the Alabama/Mizzou SEC championship game. Loved it. Work trip went well, weather wasn't too bad. I think Tommy is mad I didn't take him because I usually do. He won't come to me or let me pet him. He'll come around. My other dog Sunny doesn't care. She was just happy I was home.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finally...all updated. That took forever.

The past few months I've had more eyestrain/fatigue when at the pc for hours. Dry eyes, almost but not quite headaches, that sort of thing. I read some articles about blue light/monitors/melatonin and other stuff, so I bought some amber/polarizing sunglasses and tried wearing them if doing something like gaming or whatever for long periods. It doesn't help me get to sleep any earlier, and I have no clue about retinal damages, but it sure helps with the eye fatigue.

Only problem is that it means I'm "one of those douchebags who wear sunglasses at night." ...

Have you tried something like https://justgetflux.com/ ? You can set it to dim the blue lights at night.

By the way, this thread always makes me think of...

What I did today? Why, tried to take over the world, of course...

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Spent the day being a recluse and feeling a bit blue re: a lost friend. Sister/brother in-laws are in town. That might cheer me up a little. They're always entertaining.

Spent the day being a recluse and feeling a bit blue re: a lost friend. Sister/brother in-laws are in town. That might cheer me up a little. They're always entertaining.

Sorry to hear that :(

John Milton 

Good luck, amigo. Chew gum during the exams, incognito, it's proven to elevate memory recall. 

And other cognitive faculties. Fact.

EDIT:

I have decided to invent a device for police to use in restraining suspects.

It will be hand-held, apply itself on physical contact, but will not leave any bruising or distress. It will 100% prevent hostile thoughts in the suspect, without depriving them of free will or making feel disempowered. Further, once the initial effects wear off it will make the subject totally rethink their worldview and become at least 20% less likely to be selfish.

I will market this device under the name 'libsaber'.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

So long, Ralph Baer (92yo), inventor of the "brown box" gaming console, and more importantly, this:

daa8fa6a835564dcec8e5ec0a834b873.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 2

Good luck, amigo. Chew gum during the exams, incognito, it's proven to elevate memory recall. 

And other cognitive faculties. Fact.

EDIT:

I have decided to invent a device for police to use in restraining suspects.

It will be hand-held, apply itself on physical contact, but will not leave any bruising or distress. It will 100% prevent hostile thoughts in the suspect, without depriving them of free will or making feel disempowered. Further, once the initial effects wear off it will make the subject totally rethink their worldview and become at least 20% less likely to be selfish.

I will market this device under the name 'libsaber'.

Just take a pepper spray and swap the pepper with liquid pot. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Sorry to hear that LadyC, when dealing with death I've found family and friends always help, even if it's just a little.

Tchotchkes?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken