Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

But really, all I meant with my original statement is:

It is perfectly normal to have your feelings hurt by words.  

Just like it's perfectly normal for hurtful things to be said. So adapt to that. Hurtful things will be said and you might be hurt by them. Best to adapt to make sure you don't, because you're joking yourself if you think getting rid of hurtful comments altogether is a possibility.

I'm all for positive change to try and minimalize hurtful things said, but not when the efforts towards that goal begin encroaching upon freedom. This has hit a point where we're talking censorship, which no I'm not ok with. Jerks will be jerks, so people targeted by jerks should grow thicker skin. The entire social structure and way of doing things as we know it shouldn't need an overhaul just because Anita got a word boo-boo.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Come on guys this old view that  " words don't matter and you must just ignore them because its the Internet" is so pre-GG its actually hilarious that on this very thread people are making that point and expecting the rest of us to believe it

One of the foundations of the creation of GG is about the insult associated with the word "gamers" and the outrage and offense that certain gamers felt.

So lets stop suggesting that words are irrelevant because that's not how most of you who support GG have been acting :)

There's a difference between words hurting you, and words making you think "Yeah, **** those guys who said that.". There's a difference between personally not going somewhere because you're unhappy with the code of conduct at the place and getting government to force the place to change. The issue with the games media is that it writes out biased reviews, either filled with sjw bs or corporate bribery, that's it's crowded with arrogant aholes like Leigh Alexander who deserve to be dethroned and left in the mud, that it's floating in corruption and lacks any form of standards, that it has far to much control on which indie titles make their way into the greater public. The gamers are dead articles are an excellent example of arrogant aholes like Leigh Alexander being hypocrites, a great example of collusion, I personally don't feel they're a great example of gamers being harassed though,

We're promoting better alternatives to the horrid games journalism sites we're at war with, that should help fix problem A, we're showing advertisers how horrible these people are, that should quicken the fall of the people I want to see fall, I haven't really seen much to better the communication between the indie scene and the regular gamers, but that'll come along eventually I guess.

Come on guys this old view that  " words don't matter and you must just ignore them because its the Internet" is so pre-GG its actually hilarious that on this very thread people are making that point and expecting the rest of us to believe it

One of the foundations of the creation of GG is about the insult associated with the word "gamers" and the outrage and offense that certain gamers felt.

So lets stop suggesting that words are irrelevant because that's not how most of you who support GG have been acting :)

There's a difference between words hurting you, and words making you think "Yeah, **** those guys who said that.". There's a difference between personally not going somewhere because you're unhappy with the code of conduct at the place and getting government to force the place to change. The issue with the games media is that it writes out biased reviews, either filled with sjw bs or corporate bribery, that's it's crowded with arrogant aholes like Leigh Alexander who deserve to be dethroned and left in the mud, that it's floating in corruption and lacks any form of standards, that it has far to much control on which indie titles make their way into the greater public. The gamers are dead articles are an excellent example of arrogant aholes like Leigh Alexander being hypocrites, a great example of collusion, I personally don't feel they're a great example of gamers being harassed though,

We're promoting better alternatives to the horrid games journalism sites we're at war with, that should help fix problem A, we're showing advertisers how horrible these people are, that should quicken the fall of the people I want to see fall, I haven't really seen much to better the communication between the indie scene and the regular gamers, but that'll come along eventually I guess.

So the whole GG scandal began 3 months ago, what would you say are its biggest achievements so far ?

In other words how would you dispute a view that said " GG hasn't accomplished much and never will "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So the whole GG scandal began 3 months ago, what would you say are its biggest achievements so far ?

In other words how would you dispute a view that said " GG hasn't accomplished much and never will "

Says ex CEO of Gawker.

Seriously, money raised for charities, raising collective awareness of what the SJW are doing to video games, finally we get something that resembles a discussion about sexism vs freedom of speech.

Also, there is no going back, gamers have crossed the Rubicon, there is no way that this ends with gamers going back to reading about how games are misogynistic on Kotaku.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Says ex CEO of Gawker.

Seriously, money raised for charities, raising collective awareness of what the SJW are doing to video games, finally we get something that resembles a discussion about sexism vs freedom of speech.

Also, there is no going back, gamers have crossed the Rubicon, there is no way that this ends with gamers going back to reading about how games are misogynistic on Kotaku.

Okay that's some relevant developments around GG, I didn't think about those outcomes :)

I'm not sure I agree with them but my question wasn't directed towards myself but rather what supporters of GG think

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• Websites have standards and seek to attract like minded people
  • This means that automatically there have to be rules and codes of conduct that define what that particular website stands for. These exist on almost all websites

I think its important to remember that websites have no intention beyond those of its creator(s) and/or maintainer(s). They can be as inclusive or as exclusive as they want to be. Rules, as such, only exist if those in the community want the rules and are not an inherent quality in a website (or even a web community).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

But gamergate has accomplished much.

Aside from ridiculous polarization it has also justified the means used to defeat it.

All those tactics of colluding, censoring and label-attaching have been sanctified and cleared for use in the future.

"If you answered yes to both questions, then you know what kind of people that are associated in gamergate."

Gamers. ie. People who play games. It's not complicated.  \Gamergate' is a lot more varied and accepting than feminists and SJWs are. Those groups are hatefull, cruel,. evil, mean, nazish, racist, sexist, and a host of other nasty stuff.

They have threatened death, they have harassed, belittled, dehumanized, and other nasty sized.

They have wiped out all white males claiming they are simultaneously dead and dying. They have belittled and comapred women to little babies. They have whitewashed all minorites. Even though the vast majority of SJWs and feminists are whites and a large number of males.

However, they have failed. They have tried to murder gamers but we are still here. Because, feminists are weak and pathetic and have no power - espicially no moral power because they have no morals. They don't care about people. They care about power, control, and slavery.

"It's a terribly simplistic response to give someone who has been hurt by words.  I couldn't imagine feeding that line to my kids or my students when they are genuinely upset about something.  It completely invalidates their emotions.  There are better ways to build emotional fortitude."

L0L Yet, that is exactly what you do are doing. 'invalidating emotions' L0L

"One of the foundations of the creation of GG is about the insult associated with the word "gamers" and the outrage and offense that certain gamers felt."

I'm more 'worried' about the death threats and proclaimations of my cold blooded murder. The ones who feel I deserve because I'm a white male gamer and I'm not a human being - just a  monster, rapist, and sexist.

"In other words how would you dispute a view that said " GG hasn't accomplished much and never will "

GG has accomplished what it needs to - gamers are still alive and still playing games even thoguh we were proclaiming dead and threatened with murder.

If people like Bruce had their easy I wouldn't exist. I'd be wiped out and thrown down the toilet bowl. Well, sorry Bruce, you won't succeed in your mission. I will exist. i will ALWAYS exist.

*goes back to playing games and living life*

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"If you answered yes to both questions, then you know what kind of people that are associated in gamergate."

Gamers. ie. People who play games. It's not complicated.  \Gamergate' is a lot more varied and accepting than feminists and SJWs are. Those groups are hatefull, cruel,. evil, mean, nazish, racist, sexist, and a host of other nasty stuff.

They have threatened death, they have harassed, belittled, dehumanized, and other nasty sized.

They have wiped out all white males claiming they are simultaneously dead and dying. They have belittled and comapred women to little babies. They have whitewashed all minorites. Even though the vast majority of SJWs and feminists are whites and a large number of males.

However, they have failed. They have tried to murder gamers but we are still here. Because, feminists are weak and pathetic and have no power - espicially no moral power because they have no morals. They don't care about people. They care about power, control, and slavery.

"It's a terribly simplistic response to give someone who has been hurt by words.  I couldn't imagine feeding that line to my kids or my students when they are genuinely upset about something.  It completely invalidates their emotions.  There are better ways to build emotional fortitude."

L0L Yet, that is exactly what you do are doing. 'invalidating emotions' L0L

"One of the foundations of the creation of GG is about the insult associated with the word "gamers" and the outrage and offense that certain gamers felt."

I'm more 'worried' about the death threats and proclaimations of my cold blooded murder. The ones who feel I deserve because I'm a white male gamer and I'm not a human being - just a  monster, rapist, and sexist.

"In other words how would you dispute a view that said " GG hasn't accomplished much and never will "

GG has accomplished what it needs to - gamers are still alive and still playing games even thoguh we were proclaiming dead and threatened with murder.

If people like Bruce had their easy I wouldn't exist. I'd be wiped out and thrown down the toilet bowl. Well, sorry Bruce, you won't succeed in your mission. I will exist. i will ALWAYS exist.

*goes back to playing games and living life*

:lol:

Volo did you ever consider the fact that the only reason you exist is that we allow you to do so? Every story needs a villain Volo..and you just happen to be that villain

How else would us SJW go to sleep at night without someone like you to  blame for the decay and moral turpitude of the society we live in ..... :biggrin:

John Milton 

The journos re loosing advertisers and money. The narrative is cracking, as more and more people are seeing the truth and switching sides.

Heck, just today I "redpilled" 2 people. Also, Gawker lost another advertiser today.

We kicked the SJZ's  and radical feminist in the balls (or ovaries if you will). That alone is a worthy accomplishment.

Good+game+gamer+gate_8c5b0c_5343946.jpg

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

https://archive.today/H7k6M

Washed up actor's solution to ending anonymous trolls is ending anonymity.

Let me jump in my lolcopter.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not ending anonymity, just ending anonymity for people who don't want to use Tor or something. I am hard pressed to think why his opinion is of any weight. But overall the "be nice!" message isn't all that bad, though online gaming being filled with raging **** is part of its charm. Good plug for his show, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And this has concluded this week's installment of (semi-quasi-sort of used to be) famous (-ish-esque) people suggesting unreasonable solutions to complex problems without thoroughly thinking things through.  Tune in again next week for another exciting installment!

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And this has concluded this week's installment of (semi-quasi-sort of used to be) famous (-ish-esque) people suggesting unreasonable solutions to complex problems without thoroughly thinking things through.  Tune in again next week for another exciting installment!

And remember people, killing humans is the best way to end global warming. Good evening, and see you next time.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

TB on Anita:

B2_Lo77h_Ig_AA91k_D_png_large.png

That is indeed a pretty big leap in logic and a ridiculous intent she projects upon the creators of the game.

Objectification is in your head. If you don't want to objectify a character than don't objectify that character. Game writer is not your nanny to teach you how to think about women.

And seriously "meant to derive perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual female characters"... That's her conclusion? You can't tell me there is any reason here.

• Like 1

Sarkesian's biggest problem outside of her ignorance is she whines about how females in media are treated like damsels in distress (not true in actuality but that's her perception) yet demands that females be rescued ie. treated like damsels in distress.

Either women are grown adults who can take care of themselves or they need to be rescued.

• Like 1

I've never watch Anita's videos so I can't really say if she's reasonable or not. I get the impression she isn't though.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Me neither. But i guess that she is like good 'ole Thompson.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Me neither. But i guess that she is like good 'ole Thompson.

If Thompson was packaged as a thirty-something feminist scholar with terrible taste in earings and you substituted "think of the children!" with "women are being harmed!" You would have Anita in a nutshell.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Has Sarkeesian attempted to pass legislation against games?"

I have no doubt she would if she had the power to.

Thompson was a lawyer, thoguh, so he tried to use hsi 'skills'.

\He tried to use the law.

She's using her 'skills' too.

She's just as dangerous and as much a bullcrapper as he is. But, she's a girl so if one opposes her theya re sexist yet you and the rest of the JSWs and feminists didn't give a crap that Thompson got many death threats, was  the subject of harassment, and all sorts of nastiness. Why? Because he is a white male and 'brought it on himself'. But, feminists and SJWs view woman as weak, pathetic, and like chidlden so Sarkessian must be rescued.

I respect her and other woman more than that. She is an adult and can (or should) be able to handle the 'meanies'. (death threats are not cool and should be punished and be unacceptable no matter the target INCLUDING gamers).

So, why do you defend death threats  against me and lies that I'm already dead? You support it even while claiming we are 'fake' friends. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

Has Sarkeesian attempted to pass legislation against games? 

Why kill the goose when it still lays eggs?

But there's now that thing with twitter and Women against Media where it seems like they are giving carte blanche to the feminists to "protect themselves from harassment". With the wake of this new wave of Twitter bans on prominent pro-GG speakers is beginning to seems as if Twitter might have chosen a side or is going to be caught in the middle of this whole thing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Has Sarkeesian attempted to pass legislation against games? 

Why kill the goose when it still lays eggs?

But there's now that thing with twitter and Women against Media where it seems like they are giving carte blanche to the feminists to "protect themselves from harassment". With the wake of this new wave of Twitter bans on prominent pro-GG speakers is beginning to seems as if Twitter might have chosen a side or is going to be caught in the middle of this whole thing.

It is interesting to see how social media companies will police this stuff.  

Maybe Jlaw has the right idea just staying off social media.  :p