What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Europa Universalis 4. This is...interesting, I guess. War mechanics seem really wonky compared to what I'm normally used to, but I'm getting used to it. Boy, couldn't they have the earliest date like a hundred years earlier? The Roman Empire starts out completely hamstrung, surrounded by the Ottoman Empire except for Constantinople proper and Sparta in Greece. Stupid history getting in the way of my fun.

It's their way of telling you that you should play Crusader Kings 2 first and then import a save where the ERE controls all of Europe.

Uh, how different is Crusader Kings 2 from this? Still getting used to this - don't quite want to jump into a completely different game already... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In my EU4 game Lithuania rules pretty much all of Eastern Europe. Finding it hard to compete with them as Russia.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Uh, how different is Crusader Kings 2 from this? Still getting used to this - don't quite want to jump into a completely different game already... :p

Very, you control a dynasty instead of a country - it begins off as a feudalism simulator rather than a country. You then move closer and closer to a typical EU'ish game as you increase your crown authority and countries starts forming rather than individual dynasties.

It has been described as a strategic soap opera by some fans, because funny stories play out and you get a lot more immersed than in a typical EU game. In my recent game, my characters father had an affair with my wife, resulting in a son.. Which made everything very complicated as you can imagine. Soon after a small war broke out over succession rights, leaving my character and his rightful heir and son the sole survivors of the dynasty.

For a fun example (albeit quite a long read) this story sums up the game and an easter egg quite nicely.

Fortune favors the bald.

Soooo... Finished The Banner Saga. Now what to play next, I have no idea...

Do you recommend it? It looks cool but haven't tried it yet.

Yes, it was a good experience. If you like turn based (tactical) games, you should try it out. It has a few roleplaying elements as well, but the focus is on the turn based combat.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Baldur's Gate II

I am now a victim of betrayal most foul. Curse my trusting nature, I say! What could possibly have possessed me to bring that character along even though I never used him at any other point.

I'm certain things would have gone differently if I had not. I art the fool.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Baldur's Gate II

I am now a victim of betrayal most foul. Curse my trusting nature, I say! What could possibly have possessed me to bring that character along even though I never used him at any other point.

I'm certain things would have gone differently if I had not. I art the fool.

I know, right? Such a great party addition that character was, too! Such a memorable twist.

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Was that really your first run with Yoshimo?

I thought if I made my surprise over the top and ridiculous enough then nobody could take it seriously. I have failed.

No, it wasn't my first run with him. In fact, I only brought him along to Spellhold so that he could betray me. I vaguely recall bringing someone else in run #2 and them getting stuck there in the maze. I figured old Traitey-McBackstabber wouldn't cause that problem.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finally leveled my Warlock up to Level 20 in Destiny.  Now I've got to do some tedious stuff to earn some unique armor sets.  This part is going to take forever.

I might take a break from my Warlock and try and level up another class.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't understand Europa Universalis. I was able to do a complete take over of the Ottoman Empire with the help of what was essentially a crusade, (not actually a crusade, but the English and the Mamluks and all their vassals as well as myself attacked them all at once and destroyed them - neither of them took any actual territory, however, and by the time they were mostly brought to their knees and they made peace with the other two, I had taken most of Thrace and Greece, as well as a little of Anatolia, and decided to mop up the rest of their territories because neither of us could make any more soldiers due to war exhaustion...so why not?). I am not able to take all of their territory/do a complete annexation - says I don't have enough peace points. I completely ruined your nation - give me your territory and phase out of existence like the rest of them. No way to take just some of a nation's territory without taking *all* of it...and even then, it'll only give you roughly half after completely destroying a larger nation in the stupid "peace talks" because there's no way to just force a resolution - if an enemy nation refuses to cooperate in the peace talks even after having been completely annihilated, you can't do anything about it. That's stupid.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Ugh.  That teaches me to read the item descriptions more closely.  I'd put away some armor from my Level 20 guy to use with my second character.  Some blues and greens, but low level stuff.  Unfortunately, the armor is class specific.  So my Hunter can't use the stuff my Warlock has unlocked.

I do have some nice guns to pass along, though.  My new character looks kind of funny with crappy ass armor but top of the line firepower.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Got an invite for the Bloodborne beta. Time to unpack my PS4.

Did you have to sign up somewhere? Would love to try it out.

I got a mail from Sony. I thought it was a scam first, but then I looked up NeoGAF and more people had gotten it. It could still be a scam, but it sure as hell looked legit, with me logging into the PSN store and all.

I don't understand Europa Universalis. I was able to do a complete take over of the Ottoman Empire with the help of what was essentially a crusade, (not actually a crusade, but the English and the Mamluks and all their vassals as well as myself attacked them all at once and destroyed them - neither of them took any actual territory, however, and by the time they were mostly brought to their knees and they made peace with the other two, I had taken most of Thrace and Greece, as well as a little of Anatolia, and decided to mop up the rest of their territories because neither of us could make any more soldiers due to war exhaustion...so why not?). I am not able to take all of their territory/do a complete annexation - says I don't have enough peace points. I completely ruined your nation - give me your territory and phase out of existence like the rest of them. No way to take just some of a nation's territory without taking *all* of it...and even then, it'll only give you roughly half after completely destroying a larger nation in the stupid "peace talks" because there's no way to just force a resolution - if an enemy nation refuses to cooperate in the peace talks even after having been completely annihilated, you can't do anything about it. That's stupid.

It's made to simulate that in real life there were checks and balances that the game can't reproduce. You also need a core on the province you wish to take, otherwise it's not easy to integrate into the realm.

Ask for deals less than 100% each time and it will eventually force them to accept. As their stability takes a dive each time.. In the end you are hurting them a lot by offering deals they are not accepting, making it easier to win the next war. EU is about being patient :)

If this annoys you however, there were several mods for EU3 that removed these features - I'm sure there are for EU4 too.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's made to simulate that in real life there were checks and balances that the game can't reproduce. You also need a core on the province you wish to take, otherwise it's not easy to integrate into the realm.

Ask for deals less than 100% each time and it will eventually force them to accept. As their stability takes a dive each time.. In the end you are hurting them a lot by offering deals they are not accepting, making it easier to win the next war. EU is about being patient :)

If this annoys you however, there were several mods for EU3 that removed these features - I'm sure there are for EU4 too.

Yeah, it is a bit unrealistic. I mean, I took over like 6-7 of their provinces with only like 5k men because they couldn't really make anymore. The frustrating thing for me, about that, is they wouldn't even give me my core provinces - it wasn't even an option, somehow, even though I was occupying all of their area. Some areas were just completely excluded from being an option for annexation, including the area directly in front of Constantinople, (Epir..idus?). I don't really understand why. I would've been pretty ok with all of the mainland Europe territories, and maybe the area directly behind Constantinople in Anatolia, which they were pretty much willing to give except for that problem.

I'm playing Rage at the moment and its great fun. I first tried to play it in 2011 when I was using XP and despite all my efforts the game never worked properly. I ended up uninstalling it in a bout of nerd rage.

Anyway the game reminds me of Fallout 3 and F:NV and that is only a good thing :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But the end of the game is a big pile of shait. Really a shame, because the shooter-part is pretty good, imo.

Okay, thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep that in mind :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela