Dragon Age: Inquisition vs. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

ktchong

If you could choose only one, would you choose Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. If you could choose only one, which would you choose to buy and play?

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

They've got too many employees now to just focus on Cyberpunk anyway. If not Twitcher4 they would need another title to develop, so they may as well go for one they know has a market.

Not like we've had saturation Twitcher either, it isn't annualised like an Assassin's Creed or CoD so it'll be 3 games in near eight years.

Personally I never particularly cared for Ciri in the books, too much of a Mary Sue for my liking, and i've never felt comfortable with talk of destiny and such. There's definite potential in the world and the Spiral beyond, but i'd rather the devs recharge their creative juices and give the IP a small sabbatical, so that it remains fresh and ambitious. Given the direction of Sapkowski's latest book i'd be more interested in exploring some of the other Witcher schools, a sorcerer protagonist or even a normal mortal like Roche or Iorveth.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"Not like we've had saturation Twitcher either, it isn't annualised like an Assassin's Creed or CoD so it'll be 3 games in near eight years."

3 games and about 10 different versions. And, that's just TW1.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Not like we've had saturation Twitcher either, it isn't annualised like an Assassin's Creed or CoD so it'll be 3 games in near eight years."

3 games and about 10 different versions. And, that's just TW1.

I have never played an Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty game.

I remember the first Assassin's Creed game.  It received a lot of attention because it had a hot female producer/director (who spoke French.)  The game received a lot of good press.  I was not interested in that particular type of game, (I am still not,) but I was mildly interested in that game because of its interesting historical premise.  (The sci-fi twist had not been revealed at the time.) 

Then, Assassin's Creed came out.  Its Metacritics and Gamerankings scores were... underwhelming.  Its Metascore was 81, (71 for the PC version.)  Back then, it was easy for a high-profile "AAA" game to received high-80 to 90+ mo Metacritics.  A lot of AAA titles at the time were getting 88, 89, 90+ at Metacritics, (i.e., BioShock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc.)   Which means Assassin's Creed must have sucked to have gotten such a "low" score.  So it was a pass for me. (Over the years, Metacritics gradually re-adjusted and improved its formulas.  Now it is harder a game to get 90+.)

I do not play FPS that glorifies US interventionist imperialism. 

Edited by ktchong

"I remember the first Assassin's Creed game.  It received a lot of attention because it had a hot female producer/director (who spoke French.)  The game received a lot of good press.  I was not interested in that particular type of game, (I am still not,) but I was mildly interested in that game because of its interesting historical premise.  (The sci-fi twist had not been revealed at the time.) 

Then, Assassin's Creed came out.  Its Metacritics and Gamerankings scores were... underwhelming.  Its Metascore was 81, (71 for the PC version.)  Back then, it was easy for a high-profile "AAA" game to received high-80 to 90+ mo Metacritics.  A lot of AAA titles at the time were getting 88, 89, 90+ at Metacritics, (i.e., BioShock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc.)   Which means Assassin's Creed must have sucked to have gotten such a "low" score.  So it was a pass for me. (Over the years, Metacritics gradually re-adjusted and improved its formulas.  Now it is harder a game to get 90+.)

I do not play FPS that glorifies US interventionist imperialism. "

Why did you quote me? I post about The Witcher and you replied spamming about Assassin's Creed.

WUT!?!

"I remember the first Assassin's Creed game.  It received a lot of attention because it had a hot female producer/director (who spoke French.)  The game received a lot of good press.  I was not interested in that particular type of game, (I am still not,) but I was mildly interested in that game because of its interesting historical premise.  (The sci-fi twist had not been revealed at the time.) 

Why did you quote me? I post about The Witcher and you replied spamming about Assassin's Creed.

WUT!?!

You know what's weird but  I also remember that hot producer, I watched a video with her and at the time I was blown away by how beautiful she was. I wonder what happened to her and where she is working now?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

WUT!?!

You know what's weird but  I also remember that hot producer, I watched a video with her and at the time I was blown away by how beautiful she was. I wonder what happened to her and where she is working now?

She's still at Ubisoft.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Managing director at Ubisoft Toronto, so is doing pretty well for herself.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jade Raymond, that's her name. 

Personally I do not feel she is that hot as everyone else was treating her to be... nor was she a good game producer/director.  I read that Assassin's Creed has a lot of gameplay and technical issues.  She's not ugly or fat, she is okay.  I suppose a woman who is not ugly or fat is a rarity in the video game industry.   Who knows.  Assassin's Creed was her brainchild, and it has turned into a successful franchise.  So she got promoted.  Assassin's Creed was actually a very underwhelming game.  I think the game sold well mostly due to her:  the game received so much attention, press and free marketing because of her.

800px-Jade_Raymond_Feb_2012.jpg

Edited by ktchong

Pillars of Eternity.

I saw the comment earlier, but I did not respond to it because I know my comment would cause quite a stir in here so I refrained from commenting earlier.  But here goes...

I am actually not even a least bit interested in Pillar of Eternity. 

Maybe this deserves another discussion, on why an WRPGamer like myself does not show any interest in Pillar of Eternity.  I mentioned this in the Bethesda forums, and I was surprised to find out I was not the only one.  Anyway, it's Sunday.  I'll come back and deal with it in details if needed.

Edited by ktchong

Guest Slinky

You find it surprising different people like different things?

Which also happens to be precisely the reason why I find these that versus this topics idiotic.

Here is my reason for not having any interest in Pillar of Eternity.  I am quoting from myself from a discussion over at the Bethesda forum.  It mostly dealt with Dragon Age, but the same reason also applies to Pillar of Eternity:

We do not need another "original" fantasy setting.  The RPG genre is already oversaturated with sword-and-sorcery Tolkienisque fantasies.  A main reason why I have never played Dragon Age was because a few years ago in late 2000s and early 2010s, I had gotten so sick and tired of fantasy RPG in general.  The market had too many Tolkienisque RPG with dragons and elves and dwarves and warriors and wizards.  We still have too many of them.  (IMO, some of them have to go -- as in, I want them to fail so the market will become more "streamlined".)  I've been playing fantasy RPG since Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar in the 1980s, and suddenly I just felt like I wanted to throw up when I saw another Tolkienisque world.  And most of them are not that different from each other.

Early this year, I finally recovered from my "fantasy fatigue", (but not completely.)  I decided to get back into fantasy RPG, but I really do not have the stomach to play everything that's out there.  I researched and read about what fantasy RPG series that are currently available.  I read about their worlds, lore, histories, background stories, characters, etc.  Then I chose the two or three that interested me the most.

Dragon Age did NOT make the cut.

(The Witcher did.)

Honestly, IMO Pillar of Eternity is yet another unneeded entry in the oversatured genre.  At this point I am not interested in learning the lore of yet another fantasy RPG.  A new fantasy RPG has to stand out and be very exceptional to appeal to me. Personally, I think it was a mistake for Obsidian to use the Kickstarter to fund another Tolkienisque sword-and-sorcery RPG, instead of something fresh and unique.   

Someone else asked me why the Witcher appealed to me and Dragon Age did not.  I took a few days to figure out why, and I will post the reasons. In short, the Witcher is more of a character-driven drama - it is more of personal story (of Geralt the Witcher) on a more personal intimate.  His personal stories and actions are driven by his personal demons and loved ones. His actions rarely has any difference or impact on the world: the world seems to goes on with or without him, and he is just struggling to survive, to stay afloat, and save/hold on to his loved ones and the people close to him.   On the other hand, most other fantasy RPG are about some epic struggles on an grand scale - their stories are very impersonal, more story-driven and less character-driven.  They are always about how the hero, the "chosen one", save or change the world.  I am sorta sick and tired of that whole "oh, my player character is the most important character in the RPG, and the universe  revolves around my character" RPG.  Therefore, the Witcher presents a different take on the fantasy RPG genre.

Another difference is the Witcher has a "hook", a central theme, a personal story and subject matter, which can be easily summed up in a sentence or paragraph, (i.e., it has a great "pitch",) while Dragon Age is very difficult to summed up because it is unfocused and all over the place, it tries to cover too many themes and too many grounds and too many different stories.  The Witcher seems to be driven by a single artistic vision, while Dragon Age seemed like it was put together in some brainstorming sessions in a boardroom by a committee.  Anyway.  I'll deal this one in more details later.  Have to run.

Edited by ktchong

Are you for real? Sure, on the surface it looks like another Tolkienesque sword-and-sorcery RPG.

Planescape Torment looked like another IE game with planar creatures instead of orks and goblins (BG2: ToB already had some god-planar stuff, so it wasn't even that new).

KotoR 2 looked like another Star Wars game with Jedis, Siths, light sabers, blasters, and all the usual trappings of the universe.

Mask of the Betrayer looked like more of the uninspired, yawn-inducing NWN2 campaign, except with epic numbers.

Fallout: New Vegas looked like another dosage of Bethesda's 3D brown dirt simulator.

It's your loss, man.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Are you for real? Sure, on the surface it looks like another Tolkienesque sword-and-sorcery RPG.

Planescape Torment looked like another IE game with planar creatures instead of orks and goblins (BG2: ToB already had some god-planar stuff, so it wasn't even that new).

KotoR 2 looked like another Star Wars game with Jedis, Siths, light sabers, blasters, and all the usual trappings of the universe.

Mask of the Betrayer looked like more of the uninspired, yawn-inducing NWN2 campaign, except with epic numbers.

Fallout: New Vegas looked like another dosage of Bethesda's 3D brown dirt simulator.

It's your loss, man.

Planescape: Torment had an interesting "hook" for its time, (actually, several quite interesting hooks.)  KoToR and Fallout are not sword-and-sorcery RPG.  Agree with you on Mask of the Betrayer. I am actually interested in that other Torment game that is currently in production at InXile.  That one has a more interesting hook/take than Pillar of Eternity.  Anyway, explain later, really have to run.

Edited by ktchong

"on the surface"

ON THE SURFACE!?!

P.S. Fantasy games are awesome. I'll never get bored of GOOD ones.

"KoToR is not sword-and-sorcery RPG."

Yes it is. (i took out FO because it isn't)

Edited by Volourn

I'm interested in PoE but I do agree with the above guy and his issues with fantasy. I prefer scifi to fantasy because it's easier to make an unique scifi setting. Blade Runner and Star Wars are both scifi yet still completley different. Most fantasy worlds always look the same, ancient and arrogant elves, drunk dwarves, chubby halflings and evil goblins. Some writers have managed to take fantasy in a new direction, Game of Thrones is probably the most famous example. In Game of Thrones they have pretty much thrown away the elves, dwarves and goblins altogether. Another example of a more original fantasy setting is the witcher where they have kept the elves and dwarves. In the witcher however they are opressed minorities instead of having ancient and mighty kingdoms.

Mostly burned out on fantasy, but last year or so has been so dry on releases, I can handle (or just have to handle) the three fantasy games being basically the only games of any value coming out in the next ~6+ months. Downside is that both Battlefield and CoD look unplayable this year, instead of the usual 1-2 day diversion I've gotten out of them.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not even a competition for me.

One game has realistic art direction the other is a color-fest (some people like it, I don't). One game has an interesting protagonist with personal quest, the other has a worn-out "chosen one" that has to save the world because he is the "chosen one" (some people like that, I don't anymore). One game explores interesting themes, such as racism, terrorism vs. freedom fighting, morality of lesser evils... the other just glosses over these themes. Developers of one game offer free "dlc", constantly patch the game, listen to the community, the others nickel-and-dime their customers.

Despite the fact that Witcher is a derivative work (that is based on the novels and pulling a lot of stuff from the books) and Dragon Age offers new setting. CDPR are bursting with creativity and bravery (act 2 in Witcher 2 is one of the bravest decisions ever, brilliant).  On the other hand Bioware are just rehashing the same things all over again and look devoid of any creative juices.

And to go on a tangent: I love fantasy settings and elves and dwarves and evil necromancers. I'll probably never get bored of that, but I have to admit that Torment: Tides of Numenera looks far more intriguing than PoE or DA:I.

Edited by Hamenaglar

"One game has realistic art direction the other is a color-fest (some people like it, I don't). One game has an interesting protagonist with personal quest, the other has a worn-out "chosen one" that has to save the world because he is the "chosen one" (some people like that, I don't anymore). One game explores interesting themes, such as racism, terrorism vs. freedom fighting, morality of lesser evils... the other just glosses over these themes. Developers of one game offer free "dlc", constantly patch the game, listen to the community, the others nickel-and-dime their customers.

Despite the fact that Witcher is a derivative work (that is based on the novels and pulling a lot of stuff from the books) and Dragon Age offers new setting. CDPR are bursting with creativity and bravery (act 2 in Witcher 2 is one of the bravest decisions ever, brilliant).  On the other hand Bioware are just rehashing the same things all over again and look devoid of any creative juices."

Basically every bad thing you claimed about DA is 10 fold  twicther? Chosen One? The loser white ehaerd freak is as 'chosen' as it gets.  Twictehr doesn't explore any racism in a serious manner,  it doesn't explore anythings erious. It's trash. Plain 'ol fashion trash. dealing with same thing over and over? That defines exactly what CDP hasd oen with Twitcher sicne they jumped on the boner of a silly book and ripped it off int he most boring way possible while leeching off BIO's popularity. R00fles!

but, it has b00bies and that's awesome. :)

, "but I have to admit that Torment: Tides of Numenera"

Ripping off a good older game and making it worse.

Edited by Volourn