Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Sten is trash.

No.

I probably liked him better before the Qunari turned into D&D Minotaurs, but overall, I think the most memorable (read: those whose company i preferred) would be Varric and Zevran (from the first game) with Isabella as the runner up.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sten is trash.

No.

I probably liked him better before the Qunari turned into D&D Minotaurs, but overall, I think the most memorable (read: those whose company i preferred) would be Varric and Zevran (from the first game) with Isabella as the runner up.

Isabella :wub:

The true love of my life

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yet another vid find! This time the guy who's playing is much more CRPG savvy too. I also like how he keeps his main character in view (probably via toggle, so the rest of the party are just hidden, until he turns and faces them, or ask them to do a task - very neat!

It's obviously spoiler-warning on it all.

You get to see the inventory, you get to see a character levelling, you get to see the cloth map being used, you get to see how to find hidden items, bash down walls, and much, much more. :)

It's colourful, even with sunflowers blowing in the wind, but it kind of grows on you.

Actually, it reminds me of some areas in Bioshock: Infinite and Dishonored: Brigmore Witches in so far as there are some great graphics, and also cool indoor areas of rich people in a period setting - posh furniture, mirrors, wallpapers, decorations, but also, stuff's in decay somehow.

Right now, this came can't come soon enough.

P.S. It seems hard to not play at least a rogue as a pretty jump-happy fella, but this player never (hardly ever?) used back-flipping, and he did very well! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Mike Laidlaw: No, assigning stats is not part of level up. They grow as you level, buy talents, and, notably, equip gear.

Some say: More organic way of doing things, perhaps introduced to eliminate the problems of 'you need x strength to equip this armor', given they're trying to free up customisation between characters and classes. It gives you more meaningful choices and takes away some of the treadmill aspect of RPGs of this style. Although, oddly, since they're doing encounters with preset persistent difficulty, the treadmill isn't nearly as much of a problem as it would be in a game with scaled encounters.

Others are more upset:

This irks me. I like to customize my character my way. My first DAO insanity no injury run was with a warrior archer. Warriors now can't hold two weapons or bows. Don't fool me again bioware, this better be fantastic.

It's too bad but there isn't really any point to having control over the attributes now anyway. Even blood magic is gone so there's no reason to stray from the defaults.

I understand why they are boiling down choices, I just hope it pays off.

The question that this poses (and answers) is really: were you actually customizing your character, or were you being given the illusion of choice? This change doesn't really have anything to do with the questions of whether or not Warriors can use Bows or Dual Wield, it's about how DA2 framed stat choices. Moving from DA:O to DA2 meant that, for example, Warriors build needed to prioritize Strength and Constitution in very particular amounts, with a very small amount of Willpower depending on how ability focused you were. Dexterity, Magic, and Cunning were worthless to them, there was little to no point at all in investing in those stats. Mages and Rogues had similar issues, yes, you could invest in the various non-main stats, but they literally did nothing at all for you given the consequences of focusing character builds, armor, and abilities on particular stats. Leaving that in the game no longer really made any sense, it was a waste of time to not just follow a natural progression of stat values for each character and refocus the decision making on each ability investment you make with a lot more varied options to chose from. This doesn't really reduce the number of character design choices you make, relative to DA2 at least.

In Dragon Age Origins, you were customizing your character. You could actually play against type in that game. I played a rogue who wore heavy armor and dual wielded two full sized long swords on the front lines of combat once, just because having control over my stat allocation allowed me to break away from the light armored dagger/bow user the class is typically meant to be played as with sufficient investment. In DA2, you were stuck along the rails because you were limited to your weapon selection, and other stats were useless for your abilities.

Some other opinions on it:

That does explain why talents give attributes, that confused me a bit.

That is just lazy design in my opinion. What can make passives skills worse? Boring passive skills. +5 Strength from a level up ? That's a gratifying experience right there... That may be okay for games where the level cap is much, much higher.

You'd equip armor that has the stats you prefer. This is meant to compliment the crafting system, I suspect, where you can make armor that isn't class or stat restricted, unlike armor you find in the world at large. I think there's also passives that permanently increase attributes, though it's up in the air how versatile they'll be based on class (like if mages get a passive for Strength alongside the standard Will and Magic).

Great change, if you screwed up in previous games and didn't allocate enough points in one or two important stats depending om your class/spec, you were pretty much ****ed for entire game. This system is much more flexibile and it encourages preparation in camp and swapping out different gear for specific encounters.

I think they're drawing a little too heavily from Diablo 3 for this game. 8 ability loadout limit (Diablo 3 had a 6 ability loadout). And now you can't customize your attributes with level ups, your main attribute is just raised automatically; the only way to customize attributes is through items or passive abilities. Yeah, Diablo 3 did that too. I can see why they're doing it: to accommodate 4 player co-op dungeon crawler gameplay. Doesn't that leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, or is it just me? And don't pretend this isn't the reason. I'm the biggest Bioware fanboy there is, but let's use some common sense and objective deduction here.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Labadal's advice seems sound enough: Think of it as a party-based 3D ARPG and you won't be disappointed. :)

Monte Carlo: I know. All your scepticism recoils the more you watch this colourful open-world RPG explosion. If anything, I think I can say with some confidence that it will deliver hours and hours of unadulterated fun.

• Like 1

I can see why they're doing it: to accommodate 4 player co-op dungeon crawler gameplay. Doesn't that leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, or is it just me?

Well, what did you expect? For all their "we will listen to our fans and mend our ways" rhetoric, BioWare is still a EA-owned company and there's only one authority they will listen to. Co-op sells your game and customizable attributes don't --> co-op is in, complex attribute system is out.

Look through the hype wall and don't let your judgment be clouded by marketing sweet talk. Inquisition may end up being a good game but anyone who expects to get another Origins is on the way to a sore disappointment.

Edited by prodigydancer

It pains me to say it, but that looks quite... good.

Monte has fallen.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I can see why they're doing it: to accommodate 4 player co-op dungeon crawler gameplay. Doesn't that leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, or is it just me?

Well, what did you expect? For all their "we will listen to our fans and mend our ways" rhetoric, BioWare is still a EA-owned company and there's only one authority they will listen to. Co-op sells your game and customizable attributes don't --> co-op is in, complex attribute system is out.

Look through the hype wall and don't let your judgment be clouded by marketing sweet talk. Inquisition may end up being a good game but anyone who expects to get another Origins is on the way to a sore disappointment.

Just a heads-up: All those opinions are quotations from a Reddit session that I just edited in. It's not my opinion.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

"Zevran"

More crap.

"Sten was the best written character in that game"

HAAHAHHA!  Same with Leliannacrap.

"DA francise is dead for me"

I don't believe you. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Undecaf: It's not too far-off, and that goes for both combat and its over-the-top-effects and the colourful world. Obviously, the graphics are overall a lot better.

I very much hope that the gameplay is very much better, though.

• Like 1

Look at the videos Indira posted. They are almost identical -- obviously apart from the party stuff and graphical detail. :lol:

• Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

wait, this will have 4-man coop?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.