RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Casey Hudson is gone from Bioware

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/mass-effect-executive-producer-casey-hudson-leaving-bioware/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Who's left at BioWare from the Infinity Engine days at this point? 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why couldn't he have announced his departure before ME3 was completed?  Thanks for making a career move AFTER the starchild, Casey.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Why couldn't he have announced his departure before ME3 was completed?  Thanks for making a career move AFTER the starchild, Casey.

Is his name in some way attached to the new ME project? Otherwise I believe that he was gently let go and just kept long enough to assist the new project manager in the transition.

I mean, I doubt someone would leave a lead position on a major studio without a good reason.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For me its irrelevant if Casey Hudson left, I have no doubt there are plenty of talented and inspirational  new people who can full his shoes and continue the important Bioware legacy of providing us with entertaining games. But good luck Casey with future endeavors :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd argue Mac Walters writing has generally had a larger impact on the decline of Mass Effect. Chris L'Etoile left during the late production of ME2. He did some of the interesting bits, like the sci-fi, some of the politics, and the characters I actually liked in ME1 & 2. 

Come to think of it -- It just seems a bit convinient that he just suddenly leaves now, in the same fashion to that of the doctor's departure. I get why Brent Knowles (lead designer on Origins) left. He said it's because he wasn't fond of the new direction BioWare was taking with EA. An honest answer which I kinda liked but without being disrespectful of course.

Back to Hudson though. In retrospect, I honestly love KOTOR 2 more than the first game, of which he was the creative director, partially because I played it first but also because I generally preferred the writing and the 180 spin story on the Star Wars mythos.

Nevertheless -- Good luck to him whatever his endeavors might bring him next.

Edited by TheChris92

David Gaider, Lukas Kristjanson, Mark Darrah.. there are probably others whom I can't recall.

• Like 1

David Gaider, Lukas Kristjanson, Mark Darrah.. there are probably others whom I can't recall.

Well, those are the three I am aware of as well. John Winski's another recent IE era departure, afaik.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Some great news, it looks like Sierra is starting up again.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/08/sierra-teaser-site-points-to-possible-revival-at-gamescom-2014/

I hope that means more games like Pharaoh.

Why is that great news ? No old Sierra folk are there. I guess Jensen's GK remake will come from there, though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why is that great news ? No old Sierra folk are there. I guess Jensen's GK remake will come from there, though.

I was thinking more about them rebooting their old IPs.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Sierra died in 1996, as far as I'm concerned.  They can bring back the brand, but it will be a completely different company wearing a Sierra nametag, sort of like Interplay, Black Isle, Atari, and BioWare.  That's not to say they can't put out some great games, but it won't really be Sierra unless they can magically get Ken and Roberta Williams to come back to video games.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was thinking more about them rebooting their old IPs.

Definitely not good news then.

In the end, what will matter is if they make good games (new IP, old IP, whatever IP).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In the end, what will matter is if they make good games (new IP, old IP, whatever IP).

Also there are several new IP similar to old Sierra games that are being funded by KS through ex-Sierra developers, Hero-U is one them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The first title announced from the newly risen from the dead "Sierra" will be a Justin Bieber branded F2P game for iOS and Android.  :devil:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The first title announced from the newly risen from the dead "Sierra" will be a Justin Bieber branded F2P game for iOS and Android.  :devil:

And even if that were true (AFAIK there won't be further announcements until Gamescom 2014), how would it matter? Not something I'd want to play but why would it matter to me?

I don't get the hang-up that every game developed has to be developed for me in mind, and anything that isn't - particularly if made by a venerable/rebadged publisher/developer - is a reason to rage on the internet.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Who's raging?  I'm having fun with this.  I buried Sierra, as a company, in my heart and my mind a very long time ago.  I have literally zero expectations from this revival of the brand, if it does indeed come to pass.  Much like with Interplay, Atari, Black Isle, and BioWare, I've made amends and moved on, the wounds are healed...  Okay, that's not exactly true, the BioWare wound is still kinda fresh.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸