RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/11/frontier-developments-to-potentially-introduce-dynamic-in-game-advertisements#disqus_thread

The Game may incorporate technology (which may be provided by Frontier or third party service providers engaged by Frontier (each a "Dynamic Advertising Provider")) which enables advertising to be uploaded into the Game on your PC, and changed while the Game is being played on-line. In order that the Dynamic Advertising Provider is able to direct advertising appropriate to your Game and geographic region, as well as to the correct location within the computer game, certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

Slippery slope.

Sheesh, I've passed games for lesser reasons.

Can I ask a question, why do you guys honestly care if some software knows you IP address or region you live in? What are you worried about, do you see this as invasion of your privacy?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hopefully someone will find a way to block it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can I ask a question, why do you guys honestly care if some software knows you IP address or region you live in? What are you worried about, do you see this as invasion of your privacy?

Like I wrote, slippery slope.  It may be fairly innocuous now, but they'll keep pushing it just a little bit further, a little bit further, a little bit further, all nice and gradual like so that most people either don't notice or put up with it because it's not so different than before.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

Sheesh, I've passed games for lesser reasons.

It's not that, if a game has any online component in they are going to know the players IP and region anyway. It's the ads. One of the very last things I want to see in my games are ads of coca cola or any other crap like that, no matter how subtle it is. So I'll vote "no" for ads in games by not buying a game that have them.

Just turn off your adblock in your internet browser to see what happens when you let that monster in.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/11/sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-remaster/#more-226435

Sleeping Dogs is being remade with enhanced graphics, a pity I played this game already because if you haven't played this brilliant game now is the time to get it :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd say right now we're 10 years away from when we have to have to pay additional money in order not to see ads in games. And we're 50 years from when we have to pay money not to display ads on our walls in our own house. I'll probably live long enough to see this ****.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I'd say right now we're 10 years away from when we have to have to pay additional money in order not to see ads in games. And we're 50 years from when we have to pay money not to view ads on our walls in our own house.

Bester you don't strike me as the type who would be bothered by ads in your game...or would you?

John Milton 

Get a wall size flat screen tv and you can have ads on your wall now.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/11/sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-remaster/#more-226435

Sleeping Dogs is being remade with enhanced graphics, a pity I played this game already because if you haven't played this brilliant game now is the time to get it :dancing:

Interesting, useless to me as I've already played the game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:lol:

John Milton 

I'd say right now we're 10 years away from when we have to have to pay additional money in order not to see ads in games. And we're 50 years from when we have to pay money not to view ads on our walls in our own house.

Bester you don't strike me as the type who would be bothered by ads in your game...or would you?

Bruce you don't strike me as the type who wouldn't be bothered by garbage in your house...

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Bruce you don't strike me as the type who wouldn't be bothered by garbage in your house...

No I would be, I take my garbage out regularly. It becomes a health hazard if you don't and starts to smell

John Milton 

Wall TVs is the only way I can see 4K getting justified.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Most interesting game shown at the Microsoft conference was Ori and the Blind Forest.

I think they had a good conference even if nothing that was shown of the AAA stuff interests me personally. But as a company, focusing to sell much as possible, it seems to me that they did good.