RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Just pledged to this - looks like it could be a nice, memorable thing, at $5 a pop.

Fritz is a German soldier in the trenches of WW1. Bond with trenchmates and fend off the French in this PC game. Every choice matters.

What is Fritz?

Fritz is a narrative RPG with brutal real-time combat about life in the trenches of the First World War. You play as Fritz, a German soldier on the Western Front. Most of the gameplay is comprised of everyday activities like guard duty, getting food, and talking to your fellow soldiers. Attacks are sparse, but deadly and challenging.

The main aspect of the game is character development, both of Fritz and of his comrades. Each of them is shaped by interaction with others and the things they're going through. Your comrades can die practically randomly during attacks, but the longer they survive, and they closer they get to Fritz, the better their chances of survival as everyone helps each other.

Details of Gameplay

Each playthrough of the game will last between 4-6 in-game weeks, with content for each game day. This time was chosen to reflect the amount of time a German soldier was expected to stay on the front before being sent back into reserves.

At the end of that time there will be multiple endings available, completely dependent on how you play the game, and then you will be sent back to the main menu, where you can play a "new game" with your stats, skills, and experiences completely reset, or you can play "new game +" with the same stats, skills, and experiences, making the game progressively harder on each playthrough.

Planned Main Gameplay Elements:
  •  
  • Dialogue with fellow soldiers
  •  
  • Daily routine (i.e. guard duty, mail, equipment maintenance, deliveries)
  •  
  • Battles with the French
  •  
  • Dynamic, random events that play out differently depending on the player's previous actions and affect stats for Fritz and NPCs.
  •  

Planned Atmospheric Elements:
  •  
  • Soldiers with personality and stats
  •  
  • Branching dialogue options
  •  
  • Interactive character development that takes the stats and relationships of NPCs into account
  •  
  • Skill development based on learning from NPCs
  •  
  • Fritz's thoughts change and flash on the screen with events and stats
  •  
  • Inventory (can be used by the player, or as gifts or bribes)
  •  
  • Stats for illness, trauma, hunger, loneliness
  •  
  • Letters to and from home, with care packages that affect stats
  •  
  • All of the above dynamically integrated and dependent on the situation and the player's actions.
  •  
  • Multiple endings
  •  

Base Goal
  •  
  • The game will be playable on PC and Linux.
  •  
  • We will be creating 10 major NPCs (with fully fleshed-out storylines of their own and complex interaction with Fritz), and you will get the opportunity to interact with 3 of them per playthrough.
  •  
  • There will also be 25 minor NPCs (who interact minimally with Fritz), of which there will be about 10 per playthrough.
  •  
  • For combat, the player will either be shooting in a desperate charge across the battlefield or in close combat in the trench. The player can control the character in cardinal directions (WASD) and stand, crouch, or lie down. The shooting mechanic will be basic---aim with a crosshair and fire---but accuracy will be a challenge, as Fritz's aim and speed will be influenced by his stats and health.
  •  
  • The game will feature at least three different interactive settings: the trench, the battlefield, and the hospital.
  •  
  • There will be at least 21 different endings.
  •  

Funding goal: $15,000

This game looks very intriguing, I don't think I have ever heard of a game that represents the German infantrymen in WW1?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-30-underworld-ascension-the-game-that-took-20-years-to-sign

For those that missed this news some more information about the reinvention of the Ultima Underworld series

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Looks like one of them is playing the "hard to get"-act, pfeh.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

44abcc040ad4257945eb6d50b37817a7_large.g

Looks like gay romances are in.

:lol:

That made me laugh....they should work on the animations

John Milton 

Mako just needed to have mass for the physics model to feel better. That and proper map design and a mechanic to choose your landing spot.

I just hated how you had to find the right spot to scale a mountain to get an obscure thing or reference.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Another teaser

Seems "The Secret World-ish"

DO YOU KNOW THEY ARE WATCHING?

Your power is rising.

Cologne, Germany.

You’ve Been Chosen.

It's definitely interesting.  "You've Been Chosen" better not actually wind up being the title of the game, though, because that is corny as ****.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was just thinking the other day about how tired I was of CGI cut-scenes in games. I'd rather have actual actors on well made sets. and then this thing appears. Bioware, what are you doing?!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If you sleep on a spring mattress they could be using the coils to control your thoughts

That's why I sleep on memory foam...

Memory foam...

Memory...

****, they know my thoughts, they know everything!

:o

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Soo, it's probably this one: http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/25/bioware-and-indie-studio-failbetter-games-working-on-an-unannounced-project/

Completely slipped under my radar, btw.

Anyway, Bioware/EA publishing independent studios has definite possibilities for the fans of Obsidian, though I assume most of y'all would go all Bill-Nighy-in-Underworld "ABOMINATION!" at the thought :p

Edit: Failbetter forums posit "Shadow Realms" as title of the game, based on an EA trademark registration at the same time with the announcement.

Edit2: Looks like Failbetter's a tiny studio, though. These teasers look a bit too good for a game by a studio with an apparent ~7 people working on the game. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still happening!

I'm still convinced this game will never see the light of day.  We've been getting the "too early to say more, but we are working on it" spiel for a couple years now.  As far as I'm concerned, this is ware of the vapor variety.  I would very much like to be wrong.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Seriously, those BioWare "You've been chosen" trailers are annoying.  At some point, hint at what the friggin game is, will you?  These trailers aren't making me intrigued.  I'm close to blocking all emails received from BioWare instead.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was just thinking the other day about how tired I was of CGI cut-scenes in games. I'd rather have actual actors on well made sets. and then this thing appears. Bioware, what are you doing?!

I think wishing for the return of FMV adventure games is toying with forces you do not understand:

Note: If you subscribe to Giant Bomb as well, you may know that there's another great one that illustrates my point beautifully... but I'm not 100% sure it's appropriate for this forum.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think wishing for the return of FMV adventure games is toying with forces you do not understand:

that was better than most CGI I've ever seen in video games. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Soo, it's probably this one: http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/25/bioware-and-indie-studio-failbetter-games-working-on-an-unannounced-project/

Completely slipped under my radar, btw.

Anyway, Bioware/EA publishing independent studios has definite possibilities for the fans of Obsidian, though I assume most of y'all would go all Bill-Nighy-in-Underworld "ABOMINATION!" at the thought :p

Edit: Failbetter forums posit "Shadow Realms" as title of the game, based on an EA trademark registration at the same time with the announcement.

Edit2: Looks like Failbetter's a tiny studio, though. These teasers look a bit too good for a game by a studio with an apparent ~7 people working on the game. :p

Finding out that it's probably the MMO from Bioware Austin Studio, caused what interest I had in it to die.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

that was better than most CGI I've ever seen in video games. 

It's worth pointing out that cameras and digital art have improved dramatically since FMV videogames were a thing. You'd think that if the genre did come back to life then there'd be at least a few that looked fantastic.

Note: If you subscribe to Giant Bomb as well, you may know that there's another great one that illustrates my point beautifully... but I'm not 100% sure it's appropriate for this forum.

The corgi hacker dog? Those are indeed forces I do not understand. 

All Stop. On Screen.