Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

Why should a team's chances be any factor in whether you cheer for them or not?  There are terms for people that only cheer on the favored teams:  "Frontrunners" and "bandwagon fans".

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Real fans support Portsmouth, even when they managed to go bankrupt three years in a row and go from winning the FA cup to whatever the old fourth division is now called in five years. Just remember guys, it's Play Up Pompey, not play down.

Meanwhile, I shall cling to New Zealand being the only team undefeated in 2010, and indeed having an undefeated record at World Cups since 1982. All completely factual, indeed we allowed ourselves not to qualify this time, to let others have a fair go.

Have no idea who I shall actually support. Probably Old Blighty, as inevitable disappointment is in my DNA, plus whatever team's style I like best.

"Why should a team's chances be any factor in whether you cheer for them or not?  There are terms for people that only cheer on the favored teams:  "Frontrunners" and "bandwagon fans"."

You fail at reading.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Aside from USA Track & Field, USA Soccer is the only other US International side I'll actively and loudly back as a blind patriot."

So, you'll cheer for the US in a sport like soccer where they're likely never gonna win the the ultimate prize anytime soon but you won't cheer them in sports that they have a shot winning (T&F don't count cuase it's not a team sport though they try to pretend it is).

Specifically, I won't slavishly root for USA Basketball because I find other teams far more interesting. Despite being the second most popular team sport, it's essentially a battle for second place in any tourney that includes USA.

For the Olympics, I'll root for US athletes if I don't have any particular rooting interests in the field, but am otherwise neutral. I root for USA T&F athletes because I knew and competed with a number of them.

The World Cup is different. it's the most egalitarian international single sport competition in the world. Not one country or region dominates the sport. It's pretty close to GDP irrelevant. Any team whether from Europe, Africa, South America, Asia, or Africa can beat any team other team from any another region.

I loved watching a 38 year old Roger Milla scoring spectacular goals for the upstart Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in 1990. I was befuddled when my favorite player, Franco Baresi shanked his PK in the a finals shoot out against Brazil in 94. Maradona v England and his incredible 1 v 11 and his Hand of God in 86 was my earliest WC memory. That's said, the '94 USA WC squad was my favorite squad: Meola, Caliguiri, Dooley, Balboa, Lalas, Harkes, Jones, Wynalda, Stewart, Ramos, and Reyna.

Team USA has absolutely no realistic chance of winning the Cup. I'll still cheer and curse my ass off regardless.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not one country or region dominates the sport.

I'd argue the Spaniards have been pretty dominant over the past 6 years.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm speaking historically. Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Italy as traditional powers all have won atleast 3. Then you have sides like France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Columbia, and Uruguay also either winning and or having respectable showings as well. Even Korea, Japan, Nigeria, and Cameroon, and USA making significant strides.

That said, I'm done with Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Spain, Ferran Adria, and especially Rafal Nadal. Need new winners.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

While they have won, they didn't look unbeatable last World Cup. And right now their best players have aged even more. I wouldn't put my money on Spain this year.

Well, obviously, the smart money is on Brazil, seeing that it's a home tournament and they certainly have the talent.

I'm keen to see how far Belgium will go. They've got a great little team. They won't win it, but I suspect they might get far.

And of course there is Germany. They impressed last world cup, and a lot of their talent was still young then. Should only do better as their talent matured.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

No player is standing around waiting its turn. They are always doing something on the field according to their task. The average distance covered in soccer depending on position is the highest of any sport.

That's actually not true at all. Australian Football eclipses soccer.

I personally don't like the game anymore (it used to be a good sport up until the 2000s) but midfielders in AFL run around a minimum of 12km/game up to around 20km/game.

Average was about 13km in 2005 (for all players, they use gps trackers in the jumpers) but it's gone up since then due to the change in playstyles.

Edited by Sensuki

As always:

1. The "wrong" team will win the finals

2. England will lose on penalties in the quarterfinals

3. Germany will win any penalty-shooting

4. The Italians will have their iron-wall defence, but attack in the most theatrical way possible

5. France will play against itself, not against other teams

6. Messi will not score a single goal

7. Suarez will cause global butthurt

8. The Dutch will completely fail or completely sail

The only thing completely uncertain is Brazil, i have no idea on how they will play or succeed.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No player is standing around waiting its turn. They are always doing something on the field according to their task. The average distance covered in soccer depending on position is the highest of any sport.

That's actually not true at all.Australian Football eclipses soccer.

I personally don't like the game anymore (it used to be a good sport up until the 2000s) but midfielders in AFL run around a minimum of 12km/game up to around 20km/game.

Average was about 13km in 2005 (for all players, they use gps trackers in the jumpers) but it's gone up since then due to the change in playstyles.

There's the problem

*Trollface*

Seriously though, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Which team will take the coveted Diving Cup this year, Italy or Argentina, or is there a dark horse?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've resolved not to watch it this time around. All it does it make me angry, whether through awful referees or my national team getting everyone's hopes up by playing amazingly well at the start of the tournament and then transforming into a hurricane of failure when it actually matters.

Wow that is a very and harsh and unfair comment about your home country, didn't they get to the finals in the last world cup. They may not have won but doesn't the journey matter?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It doesn't strike me as so unfair because the "hurricane of failure" I refer to has the actual effect of a hurricane. Whatever their last match is, they will be constantly comitting fouls, making it their own fault that they lose. I find it pretty hard to support them if it means giving them another oppertunity to kick opponent players in the face. This happened in the last few World Cups and European Cups.

To be fair, there is a lot of new blood in the team now so it might not be so bad.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Which team will take the coveted Diving Cup this year, Italy or Argentina, or is there a dark horse?

Huh? Italy are no divers.

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

My favourite one

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

None of them really go in to tackle him though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Englishman bitter about FIFA, what else is new.

Well gents, in a few hours the biggest Football event is about to start. Time to put yourself into the mood:

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy