RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

All the telephones and video conferences in the world won't help if the project lead doesn't keep close tabs on things and that seems to be difficult in single studio projects at times, now there is ten studios.

That just can't be easy.

Okay I understand your concern now. Its around the logistics and trying to manage such a global project, I agree that does seem like a challenge. But as far as I know all the previous AC games were developed around the world as well ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Assassin's Creed Unity being developed by 10 Ubisoft studios worldwide

While I have zero intrest in the game franchise, I'll give Ubisoft Montreal a big applaud if they succeed managing that mess.

How many of those are just handling localization?  It was something stated in a marketing presentation for investors, so I wouldn't read much into it.  We've seen plenty of patchwork games in the past, but non of the AC games have seemed anything like that.

The worst I ever saw was Everquest 2, they had like 4 different art teams and no real cohesion.

Bioshock 2 had 5 teams working on it- 2k marin (main design), 2k shanghai (textures), Arkane (1st levels) and whoever it was did the MP component; plus Irrational/ 2k Boston at the start- and that was five years ago. 10 seems extreme but there's no fundamental reason why you could not get sound/ motion capture/ level design done the same way. It does take good supervision, but that is what you have producers for. Presumably the main reason for doing it is because it'll get done quicker plus make use of cheaper labour.

• Like 1

Bioshock 2 had 5 teams working on it- 2k marin (main design), 2k shanghai (textures), Arkane (1st levels) and whoever it was did the MP component; plus Irrational/ 2k Boston at the start- and that was five years ago. 10 seems extreme but there's no fundamental reason why you could not get sound/ motion capture/ level design done the same way. It does take good supervision, but that is what you have producers for. Presumably the main reason for doing it is because it'll get done quicker plus make use of cheaper labour.

Maybe the cheaper labor, but if scheduling theory taught me anything is that every project has a minimum completion time after which no matter how many people/resources you throw at it, it won't go lower.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

They'd be aiming for a Just In Time type process presumably, where the parts are produced separately and then bolted together. More difficult than doing the same thing for a car or other purely mechanical device, but in theory at least it should speed things up a reasonably amount. Practically... well, who knows.

But if the trend towards fewer, bigger games continues in the AAA field they'll have to do something similar as a single studio capable of producing a bigger game in a standard ~2 year timeframe is becoming increasingly unworkable- indeed even those penny pinchers at Activision are shifting to 3 year dev time for the CoDs. Doing things in parallel at multiple studios would be an alternative to increasing the dev cycle.

They'd be aiming for a Just In Time type process presumably, where the parts are produced separately and then bolted together. More difficult than doing the same thing for a car or other purely mechanical device, but in theory at least it should speed things up a reasonably amount. Practically... well, who knows.

But if the trend towards fewer, bigger games continues in the AAA field they'll have to do something similar as a single studio capable of producing a bigger game in a standard ~2 year timeframe is becoming increasingly unworkable- indeed even those penny pinchers at Activision are shifting to 3 year dev time for the CoDs. Doing things in parallel at multiple studios would be an alternative to increasing the dev cycle.

There is a lot of wasted effort when working with multiple studios, simply because of reworking that has to be done to fit work someone else has done. Which might not had been a problem had the work been handled in the same studio. 

Anyways, predictions for the future; Will the big companies try to do more consoles or will they come begging to PC?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I'm playing some Brütal Legend.  The gameplay pretty much sücks, but it's worth putting up with for the awesome soundtrack. hb3.gif

Oops, wrong thread.  :blush:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm playing some Brütal Legend.  The gameplay pretty much sücks, but it's worth putting up with for the awesome soundtrack. hb3.gif

The gameplay is a real shame as the game had quite a bit of potential otherwise.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I didn't have a problem with the gameplay, my problem was the abrupt ending. The story felt like it needed one more chapter.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I love Brutal Legend for its dialogues. they're hilarious. and I don't care about gameplay, if it was a cartoon it would be my favorite

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I love Brutal Legend for its dialogues. they're hilarious. and I don't care about gameplay, if it was a cartoon it would be my favorite

Not only that, you can just cruise around while listening to Manowar, Anvil, and Budgie.

It's like GTA 4.  There's a lot I can't stand about that game, but cruising around and listening to Radio Vladivostok is the best.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Not only that, you can just cruise around while listening to Manowar, Anvil, and Budgie.

It's like GTA 4.  There's a lot I can't stand about that game, but cruising around and listening to Radio Vladivostok is the best.

Keyrock, cousin. Wanna go bowling?

• Like 3

village_idiot.gif

Wish I could play it too. But everytime I tried, the game crashed with a blue screen right afte the intro. A blue screen, when did anyone seen this the last time??

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Pretty much every second of combat they've shown, in this trailer and the previous ones, is all cinematics, leading me to believe that this will be a Push The Awesome Button To Win type game.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, many of the animations are obviously of the scripted variety.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

So, apparently Link and Mario are now gay.

Not sure I understand what you mean, links to explain?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduQvX4nU0k&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

I hardly paid any attention to the upcoming Wolfenstein, but that actually looks like a fun game. Also the setting is interesting, 1960's where nazis won the war.

I bet there aren't any hippies around.

It looks nice but I'm surprised they couldn't do some futuristic weapons and had to go the standard gun/shotgun/assault rifle route. Quite disappointing for an old school shooter.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Guest Slinky

TB was about four hours in the game as he was a bit in a hurry, so there could be some futuristic guns further in. No idea is that the case though.

Edit: Who cares about futuristic weapons anyway when you can dual wield just about everything including shotguns :dancing:

And I don't want to hear anything about dual wielding futuristic weapons, okay?

Edited by Slinky