What you did today

Tale

Headache for unknown reasons. I'm properly hydrated, I haven't been in the sun and there is enough oxygen in the environment I'm currently in.  My head feels like its giving birth to a huge fat baby.  Being in cerebral labor sucks.    :wacko:

"It's just your brain trying to comprehend it's own stupidity." ;D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Agreed, if I had to do it all over again I would just get a simple charcoal grill instead of the gas behemoth that I have now

Why not both?  The charcoal kettles are cheap.  The big propane grill is for weekday stuff when I'm in a hurry, but I've got a small charcoal one for when I want to take some more time and get more of that lovely smokey flavor. 

Agreed, if I had to do it all over again I would just get a simple charcoal grill instead of the gas behemoth that I have now

Why not both?  The charcoal kettles are cheap.  The big propane grill is for weekday stuff when I'm in a hurry, but I've got a small charcoal one for when I want to take some more time and get more of that lovely smokey flavor. 

sadly, having both means we hardly ever use our weber charcoal grill.  owning a gas monster makes evident a flaw in our character: indolence. perhaps two or three times a year we gets our self worked up enough to use charcoal. is disappointing that we is so weak.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  http://ranges.restaurantsupplysalenow.com/discount-viking-vgcc5484gqss-48-inch-freestanding-range.html

gonna get one o' these in the near future... which will end our use o' the gas monster. *sigh*

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For some reason, it tastes better when grilled on a charcoal grill. But maybe it is just the same thing as with the "LPs are superior to CDs"-argument: there's little to no difference.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I guess I shouldn't complain as there is nothing really wrong with my grill but I feel as if I'm always cleaning it or doing maintenance on it. I feel that I would be in the same boat as Gromnir if I got both, plus balcony space is limited and I'm already shopping for a bigger hammock.

EDIT: I also like the smokey taste of charcoal better and even though I have a smoker I have never used it. Occasionally I will soak some wood chips and wrap them in foil and just toss them on the grill and add a little smoke that way. Still not the same though

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Gas grills are for folks who want to eat... NOW. There is just something satisfying about sipping a drink, relaxing, and just waiting for the coals to get hot.

*Note for all you younger folks here, This is what happens when you get older. You start caring about the means as much as the ends.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Had a fairly uneventful day, but still happy. We have summer weather and I can display my hairy body to the public. We're going to have great weather tomorrow and the day after, too. Can't complain about that. Spent a lot of time outside with the kids. We're almost nearing the end of the semester and the most important things are already done, so let them have some fun, I say.

Bleh, I got an email from my mother about our estrangement.  Trying to figure out a way to respond.   :banghead:

We are estranged because my family said terrible things about my wife, and yet she makes no mention of my wife in her email.  Get a fricken clue.

Bleh, I got an email from my mother about our estrangement.  Trying to figure out a way to respond.   :banghead:

We are estranged because my family said terrible things about my wife, and yet she makes no mention of my wife in her email.  Get a fricken clue.

Calmly and rationally reply to it, point out that the woman you love, the mother of your children, and the person you plan on growing old with.. basically gets insulted and verbally abused by that side of the family, and as such you see no point in spending time in such a toxic environment unless they can deal with their attitudes.

Don't be confrontational about it, just extremely cool and to the point.

On my side of things, I'm currently fatigued after an evening session where legs and core were hammered hard, and some shoulder work thrown in. Basically one week and loose change in, training every other day... Now to see if I can keep this up and actually improve in the next three months...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Summer has finally arrived so I spent my free time on gardening, it was time to release my tomato, zucchini and parsnip plant seedlings from their pots and put them into my vegetable patches. Was exposed to a lot of sun during digging and planting, tanned like mad in just a couple of hours, I'm by far the fastest tanning person I know.   :blink: And I don't even like tanned skin. 

Also did biceps and lats today, 67kg 5 stints 8 repetitions bent over barbell rows, 4 stints 10-8 reps chin ups, 3 stints 7 reps 32kg one handed dumbbell negative biceps curls and as finisher some reverse barbell curls, I think that was 40 or so kilograms, with the easy curl bar. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

our mother passed away a couple years ago. we were never close. for various reasons, Gromnir were raised by paternal grandparents til we were thirteen. anywho, sitting there in a sterile hospital room watching this almost stranger die were a curious and disturbing experience.

our mother had cancer, but her death came surprising quick. people don't die quick from cancer, or so we believed. was third time she had been diagnosed with cancer and the previous two times resulted in her having maxed-out on chemo. location and shape of the "tumor" made radiation impossible. hormone treatments? yeah, those were tried, but statistically such options were only little more efficacious than prayer or voodoo. in spite o' being "estranged," Gromnir were called 'pon to help with what were expected to be the agonizing months ahead for our mother. we leased a special hospital bed and had it delivered to our mothers home. bought a couple boxes o' these special plastic mattress covers for when she inevitable lost control o' various bodily functions-- fifty count apiece. might need to order more. called a friend to have him look over our mother's trust. we considered contacting her church to see what we would need to do 'bout funeral arrangements, but there were no real rush. we weren't even at hospice stage yet. so it is late august o' 20__ and we live under the same roof as our mother for first time since we went away to college back in mid 80s. we didn't talk much back then, so why would it be any different now?

took less than a month. shouldn't have been a surprise, but perhaps we had too much experience with stage iii cancer patients. one morning we is getting mom breakfast and we observe that she is obsessing 'bout her med sheet. Gromnir made this printout so we could keep track of the correct times and dosages for our mother's various medications. am recalling in a moment o' black humor that for a person with virtual no chance of making it to her next birthday in february, she was taking a ridiculous amount of medications. regardless, mom is obsessing, mumbling and general acting strange. we stupidly ask her questions she can't answer and then, perhaps 'cause we didn't know what else to do, we took her temperature. 102.5 degrees.  that is high for folks not familiar with fahrenheit.  her doctor suggests bringing her to the hospital. is a thursday when we get her into a room at _____ med.

am not gonna give you details, but her passing was not easy or pleasant or peaceful. took a couple of days to die. we spent virtual the entirety of those two days in the hospital. why? it weren't guilt or pity. regardless, we wanted to make sure that somebody were there, with her. some o' her friends came to visit. priest gave last rights. they came and left. we stayed. saturday morning were lovely-- pleasantly cool but sunny and only a few clouds. how egocentric could we be to see blue skies as inappropriate 'cause our own emotions were more gray?

yeah, we regret that we never took the chance to make peace with her before she died. being estranged were, at the time, a good excuse. in retrospect it were a wasted opportunity. is no guarantee that we coulda' fixed things, but we didn't try.

ps we ain't offering advice. we ain't judging that is for damn sure. that being said, we does have experience with estranged mother. and the absolute knowledge that we were in the right has never made us feel better. just sharing. take for whatever you think it is worth.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Calmly and rationally reply to it, point out that the woman you love, the mother of your children, and the person you plan on growing old with.. basically gets insulted and verbally abused by that side of the family, and as such you see no point in spending time in such a toxic environment unless they can deal with their attitudes.

Don't be confrontational about it, just extremely cool and to the point.

On my side of things, I'm currently fatigued after an evening session where legs and core were hammered hard, and some shoulder work thrown in. Basically one week and loose change in, training every other day... Now to see if I can keep this up and actually improve in the next three months...

Raithe makes loads of sense IMO.

I remember this event well Hurlshot, your sister was the main instigator in this problem. But I do need to raise something important, the fact that your family haven't mentioned  the whole issue around how they spoke about your wife makes me question if they are really aware of what upset you?

Have you clearly and calmly explained to your family what they did was hurtful and was about what they said about your wife? Especially after so long after you guys being married. They need to accept and recognize what is the primary reason for the breakdown in your family relations? They should take responsibility if they want to patch the relationship

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My initial advice would have been to ignore the message and send no reply at all. But after reading Raithe, Bruce & Gromnirs posts that would have been bad advice. Besides, in my own experience it is never a good thing to hold tight to anger even if there is good cause. And in your case there is more than ample cause. The best reply would be short and neutral. Ask nothing and offer nothing. Any real peace overtures from them would have to be to your wife as well as you. If there is a chance at reconciliation you don't want to snuff it out but they have to know there are going to have to go far more than half the way if that is her intent.

I think one of my biggest life turning points is when I stopped hating my ex-wife and made peace with her. But I only did that under my terms. it would have been a shame to have not made peace but it would have been a bigger shame to not insist on acknowledgement of past wrongs too.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Mowing the lawn, plus walking around way to much yesterday has resulted in the tendons in my shins doing their damndest to kill me. Can't blame them though, I'd have done so to if I felt that way!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Take the problem head on and point out that whatever they said about your wife is the issue and then go from there.    Is worth keeping a relationship with your mother, blood does count for something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mowing the lawn, plus walking around way to much yesterday has resulted in the tendons in my shins doing their damndest to kill me. Can't blame them though, I'd have done so to if I felt that way!

I don't want to criticize you but hear my well-intentioned advice; unless you were walking in the mountains all day long with a seriously heavy backpack or pushing a lawnmower the size of a harvester your tendons should NOT EVER hurt. I suggest doing some weighted leg exercises and cycling to improve your joint and tendon strength. If you have troubles with your joints and tendons at a relatively young age it will turn into a serious problem quick once you get older. 

What I did: nothing is better than cycling up mountains on a hot summer day. Also cycling is a great health indicator, if you can do some really hardcore mountain cycling in really hot weather you're certainly not having any illnesses or health issues. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thanks guys.  I did try to stay calm and cool as Raithe said, and I decided to call because email is a terrible way to communicate this stuff.  It didn't go particularly well.  

One of the reasons she is emailing me now is because an old friend of mine is getting married, and they were invited.  I'm in the wedding party, so of course my wife and I will be attending.  As the conversation took a turn for the worse, my mother said "well maybe we just shouldn't go to the wedding" and I may have answered with "Yeah, I was surprised you were going."  She hung up shortly thereafter.   :shrugz:

Anyways I'll try to apologize in an email and see where that goes.  

Thanks guys.  I did try to stay calm and cool as Raithe said, and I decided to call because email is a terrible way to communicate this stuff.  It didn't go particularly well.  

One of the reasons she is emailing me now is because an old friend of mine is getting married, and they were invited.  I'm in the wedding party, so of course my wife and I will be attending.  As the conversation took a turn for the worse, my mother said "well maybe we just shouldn't go to the wedding" and I may have answered with "Yeah, I was surprised you were going."  She hung up shortly thereafter.   :shrugz:

Anyways I'll try to apologize in an email and see where that goes.  

That's one of the reasons email or a letter can work best to..cover certain grounds. When you're in face to face, or live conversation it can be easy to flow with the emotions and snap something out that you didn't mean to say, or in a tone that gets it misinterpreted when emotions are running high.

But, here's hoping things sort out for you Hurl.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

People need to learn to be around people they hate, it's actually quite fun some times.  But then again, my family thrives on verbal abuse :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Biggest concern was why the Spit didn't try to draw him into a turning fight.  That and not too sure gear works well to force an overshoot at that speed :p