What you did today

Tale

and that is where we disagree. some of us simply won't be able to exercise. if you got the kinda job that burns you out mental, physical and/or emotional, and then you get home and you is perhaps a single-parent (or whatever,) then guess what, chances are you genuine don't have time to exercise. you just don't. finally, at 10 or 11 at night you sit down and unwind for an hour in front o' the tv. maybe you is having the genuine self discipline to not use alcohol or drugs to relax a bit and fall asleep.

the world is a hard place for many folks. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

and that is where we disagree. some of us simply won't be able to exercise. if you got the kinda job that burns you out mental, physical and/or emotional, and then you get home and you is perhaps a single-parent (or whatever,) then guess what, chances are you genuine don't have time to exercise. you just don't. finally, at 10 or 11 at night you sit down and unwind for an hour in front o' the tv. maybe you is having the genuine self discipline to not use alcohol or drugs to relax a bit and fall asleep.

HA! Good Fun!

Fair enough I don't know anyone who is in the exact situation as you mentioned and truly doesn't have time to exercise. All I would argue is that a cardio workout is going to relax you more than alcohol or drugs. But the alcohol and drugs is a perceived method to relax a person, I don't think its a long term solution.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its ''work'' only the first couple of years or so, after some time that ''work'' becomes part of you and you start to enjoy it so immensely that you can't live without it anymore. I know its sounds totally cliché but you truly learn to love the pain. All you need is the discipline to hang in there with full devotion to get over that hump where you start loving it.

Yeah, I get it :) Still, med school being med school, my pathetic attempts at getting myself in shape have so far always fallen apart the first time any number of serious exams came up on the horizon :)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

HA! Good Fun!

Fair enough I don't know anyone who is in the exact situation as you mentioned and truly doesn't have time to exercise. All I would argue is that a cardio workout is going to relax you more than alcohol or drugs. But the alcohol and drugs is a perceived method to relax a person, I don't think its a long term solution.

of course it ain't a long-term solution, or even a good solution. that being said, am just letting you know that our scenario is common-- too common.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

Fair enough I don't know anyone who is in the exact situation as you mentioned and truly doesn't have time to exercise. All I would argue is that a cardio workout is going to relax you more than alcohol or drugs. But the alcohol and drugs is a perceived method to relax a person, I don't think its a long term solution.
You don't know a lot of lawyers, do you? :p

My boss gets exercise due to running from home to work and/or vice versa most days, massive respect. I've found my job to be mentally draining to the point that I can't so anything more physically or mentally demanding than Madden when I finally get home from there. And I hate it.

Edit: I had a fairly good friend, an older laywer but still under 50, who mentored me when I started drink himself to death last year.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Plenty of perspective available from last night's National Mall in D.C. concert for Memorial Day. I was equal parts emotional for the families and service-members, and blue-in-the-face at the VA. God it better get worked out. Anyway thanks to all the men and women. 

• Like 4

All Stop. On Screen.

aside: you is gonna have difficulty showing that working out more necessarily=better health. in point o' fact, various kinds o' exercise tends to create health issues, especially down the road. *chuckle* for chrissakes, you just told us you fell off your bike going 100 mph. having a "duh," moment yet?

I fell off my bike at 60kmh, not 100 mph. Yes, certain types of exercise tend to ruin people rather than improving them, I try my best to avoid them and it works. Oh, and if that was supposed to be a hint, no, cycling is not one of them.

Exercises that create problems down the road: excessive exercising, lifting weights with bad form, sports while recovering from an illness, steroids etc. Its pretty basic, everyone with a working brain knows what destroys you ''down the road''. What certainly destroys you is doing nothing for your health. 

if you got free time, how you gonna spend? working out or:

volunteer building houses for homeless

increase your personal level of education

mentor foster kids

Like 99% of the people on this god forsaken rock I am spending it on improving my life. Though trying to be a good person doesn't interfere with it, fortunately.

I work out for a physical healthy future so I wont need my country bleed for my horrendous medical bills in a couple of decades. Thats what good people do.  

and Gromnir is saying you lack perspective. am not knowing how many kids we knew who spoke as you. we weren't so arrogant 'bout it, but we had similar (not same) notions when we were younger. am able to look back and see just see how self-righteous and smug it sounds with benefit of experience.

We're still talking about exercise 4 hours week, or am I missing something here? Sorry but, get a grip.

My boss gets exercise due to running from home to work and/or vice versa most days, massive respect. I've found my job to be mentally draining to the point that I can't so anything more physically or mentally demanding than Madden when I finally get home from there. And I hate it.

My job is mentally draining too, my job involves customer service, dealing with surprisingly mentally challenged customers (customers that are multi million euro companies) with ridiculous wishes and standards in a small, cramped, hot office with co-workers I don't get along with very well.

It sucks the very soul out of my body, but one thing that really helps to ease the pressure and all the negative energy is converting it into movement. No anti depressant or drugs work nearly as well.

You may be tired at first, but regular exercise gives you back positive energy and greatly improves you positive energy storage. The job will be less straining, your live will improve by a great deal. Yeah, I sound like a health commercial on repeat, but I can't say it too often: it really works. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

"Its pretty basic, everyone with a working brain knows what destroys you ''down the road''. "

well, actually, no, they don't. even orthopedic surgeons disagree with each other, but most do agree that regardless o' your form, intense weight training is one o' the potentially  more dangerous forms o' exercise.  oh, and guess what, nobody has perfect form all the time. serious. is why they call things "accidents." have an accident while suspending hundreds o' kilos/pounds o' weight?  is different than a mistake while swimming. hell, janet evans had f'd up form and won loads o' medals at the olympics and world championships.

most of rest is rather myopic nonsense. "unfortunately self discipline is what most people sorely lack nowadays," is the nonsense you started with and it got funnier with each post. you like working out? great. Gromnir also enjoys working out. but if you cannot see the funny of an unmarried 20-something telling folks 'bout their lack o' discipline, then you is kinda hopeless. in our 20s we were in law school and working at a juvenile detention facility as a "counselor."  we had all kinda arrogance issues at the time, just not the kinda issues you gots.

HA! Good Fun!

Sheesh, a brother's just trying to build enough confidence to last through the night, not sashay around a public square. I'd be more worried about the onset of concussion-based insanity. This community just went through it first-hand with Junior Seau, and it was tragic beyond belief.

All Stop. On Screen.

It's always fun when a day you had planned out to be intentionally lazy and non-worked focused.. get's interrupted by a stomach bug. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You may be tired at first, but regular exercise gives you back positive energy and greatly improves you positive energy storage. The job will be less straining, your live will improve by a great deal. Yeah, I sound like a health commercial on repeat, but I can't say it too often: it really works. 

I used to do alot of exercise and training when I played hockey, for obvious reasons, but even several months into it, I never got that "positive" energy or "love the pain" feeling others spoke of. I only felt tired, bored and like I had wasted time. I need work or production from effort to feel good about it. Normal training sessions on the ice felt awesome though. *Shrug* Guess I'm peculiar in that way. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's always fun when a day you had planned out to be intentionally lazy and non-worked focused.. get's interrupted by a stomach bug. >_<

I call your stomach bug and raise with my 2 week holiday (all i got this year) and sinusitis.

I used to do alot of exercise and training when I played hockey, for obvious reasons, but even several months into it, I never got that "positive" energy or "love the pain" feeling others spoke of. I only felt tired, bored and like I had wasted time. I need work or production from effort to feel good about it. Normal training sessions on the ice felt awesome though. *Shrug* Guess I'm peculiar in that way. :)

Back when I played soccer in high school, I used to hate the long distance running. It was sooooooo boring. Loved being on the field, even if we were running wind sprints between goals. Short and had a point and was engaging. But when we hit roadwork for long distance running my mind hit a barrier; it turned off and so did my ability to run consistantly.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Back when I played soccer in high school, I used to hate the long distance running. It was sooooooo boring. Loved being on the field, even if we were running wind sprints between goals. Short and had a point and was engaging. But when we hit roadwork for long distance running my mind hit a barrier; it turned off and so did my ability to run consistantly.

Exactly, even if there is a physical gain in it, I don't feel engaged!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Time for some whining.

Saturday: Some on broke into my place.

Sunday: Clean up the mess.

Monday: Renew debit card, passport, etc. The 1000kr bill I pay with at the police office turns out to be fake. Sit there for an hour, explain you don't know wtf is going on. get a bad headache during the evening. Fever and feeling ill. No sleep at all.

Tuesday: Wake up, whole body aching, diarrhea and and headache still a fact.

Wednesday: ???

That's some crap luck, Labadal. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yikes, good luck Labadal.

Can you expand on Monday? Swedes have to pay the police directly for their services? And when you tried to pay the bill your money was counterfeit? That's crazy. Ive never seen an actual counterfeit bill irl.

Yeah, when your passport/id expires, you pay for a new one at the police office.

The counterfeit bill thing was out of this world. It looked very real to me. They started to ask me questions and I couldn't help myself from laughing because the whole situation was so absurd.

Yikes, good luck Labadal.

Can you expand on Monday? Swedes have to pay the police directly for their services? And when you tried to pay the bill your money was counterfeit? That's crazy. Ive never seen an actual counterfeit bill irl.

It's the same here when it comes to ids and permits they issue.

I call your stomach bug and raise with my 2 week holiday (all i got this year) and sinusitis.

When I had sinusitis it was just after a filling which became infected leading to a root canal, but not before the weekend when the dental surgery isn't open, all while I was on my first playthrough of Dragon Age 2.

• Like 1

When I had sinusitis it was just after a filling which became infected leading to a root canal, but not before the weekend when the dental surgery isn't open, all while I was on my first playthrough of Dragon Age 2.

for there was never yet philosopher
that could endure the toothache patiently,
however they have writ the style of gods,
and made a push at chance and sufferance-- much ado about nothingshakespeare

always pops to mind when we hear of dental issues.

HA! Good Fun!
  • Like 1

Bioware should take some responsibility for some of the ills of the world but blaming them for your dental problems may be a bit unreasonable

:aiee:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela