What you did today

Tale

Someone from work gave me two tickets to a soccer game at Mile High which is a quick walk from my home. I don't know either team (AS Roma and Manchester United) as I'm not a soccer fan but I played it as a kid so I was interested to go and drink too much, eat stadium food, and hopefully see a fight but when I checked the date it's during the time I'll be in Costa Rica. Lame

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Today I was on a two hour conference call in which I dozed off for a good 5 minutes. I don't think I missed anything. If I did I'll just say I was in the can and hope they forget I was on my cell phone. Then I completed and e-mailed the data sheets for the carrier expansion for the Fayette Mall in Lexington. Fortunately I won't have to go back there. Then I spent two hours splitting firewood, weeding the garden, changing the oil in the tractor, and playing ball with Tommy my dog. Now I'm sitting in my favorite chair, watching the Rays - Mariners game, drinking a ice cold Coors Light and catching up with you fine folks! 

Pretty good day.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today so far I have avoided being burned. Thank god and jesus h. christ for firefighters and police officers!

3731142_G_zps91fb0ce2.jpg

I live where the 78 meets the 5. It is armageddon right now. Evacuations all over North County. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Good luck, I hope it dies down before it gets nearer!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Have i ever said how boring I think meetings are? They are very boring. sat in one for two hours, and the result?

1377482825366.jpg

I should be in more meetings. it's the easiest thing ever and requires more or less nothing from me. 

Meetings are great for me to catch up on sleep during.  Last one was funny as about 4 people were playing with knives, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Drank quite a bit the last two days and am currently very tired. I'm going to call the number I wrote down on a napkin and see if I can remember what she looks like.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, there are awful meetings, and there are worthwhile meetings.  The awful meetings are the ones that are called only to give the organizer an audience.  Avoid at all costs.  

Worthwhile meetings involve organizers who are earnestly seeking input.  They can still be chore and are often deathly boring if you're not engaging with the subject matter.  But if you do engage (read the materials beforehand; ask questions even if they're dumb ones; contribute insights and criticisms where they are appropriate), they won't seem so boring and you can learn a lot more. 

I actually just participated in a worthwhile meeting about workloads within the small team I work with.  We'll be gaining some staff shortly, so re-allocation of assignments was called for, and the boss, to his credit, is making those decisions as collaboratively as possible.  I didn't get everything I wanted, but I didn't expect complete success.  Tentatively, I've unloaded some workload I was uninterested in and got some attractive stuff going forward, but I also gained some future workload that nobody wanted and that I'm not especially looking forward to.   

Edited by Enoch

The Big Bang Theory was originally put forward by a Catholic priest.  The modern debate is whether it is random or there is some sort of intelligent design at work.

Even in medieval times, the church leaned heavily on classical works by Aristotle and Ptolemy, not the bible, for science.

But yes, I was expecting more examples like long term evolution and stem cell research.  I went over it quite a bit in class.

Technically though, there are still Christians out there who do take the "God created the earth in six days and rested the 7th" literally. They exist on the fringe, certainly, in the direction of the sort of Christianity where people hide their television because they don't want the neighbours to know they have one. But they still do exist.

To be fair if there was an all powerful creator and that creator created time, the Big Bang through life on earth could have taken 6 days AND also lasted millennium since the natural flow/evaluation of time would mean nothing to an entity who could create it and thus manipulate it at will.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Today I ordered 2 Swiss STG57 bayonets. I don't have a Swiss Sturmgewehr 57 but those bayonets were 13 Euros a piece which is insanely outrageously cheap for a high quality blade like this. Make nice solid general purpose knives for my hikes. 

swiss.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

What "general purpose" would you ever need such a big knife for?

That's a show piece, nothing else.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What "general purpose" would you ever need such a big knife for?

Off the top of my head:

Ever tried to chop wood with a knife (to build improvised shelter)? Its hard and it sucks. But its much harder with a small blade. But what blows even more is carrying a bulky machete or woods axe on the backpack.

So a big knife is a good compromise.

Ever tried to pry something open with a small blade? It sucks because little blades don't offer much leverage, they tend to slip and snap possibly injuring your arm and hand. Big knife wins hands down.

Ever tried to use the handle of a small blade as a hammer? It sucks because it does neither have the mass (Inertia) nor the stability to be used as improvised hammer. Big knife wins.

Ever tried to defend yourself with a small blade? The longer, bigger blade is more effective, gives you more range and looks more intimidating to scare off two legged predators. Big knife wins. 

Ever tried to dig with a knife? It sucks, but it beats digging with your hands or a stick and a big knife works way better than a small one.

Damage. The bigger knife will endure more damage before it breaks. 

Also in an emergency you can make a spear using the blade of the knife as head, to hunt and to defend ourself.  Big knife wins. 

I wouldn't call a knife/bayonet that has been designed for and used by a military force a ''show piece.'' Looks nice though. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The Big Bang Theory was originally put forward by a Catholic priest.  The modern debate is whether it is random or there is some sort of intelligent design at work.

Even in medieval times, the church leaned heavily on classical works by Aristotle and Ptolemy, not the bible, for science.

But yes, I was expecting more examples like long term evolution and stem cell research.  I went over it quite a bit in class.

Technically though, there are still Christians out there who do take the "God created the earth in six days and rested the 7th" literally. They exist on the fringe, certainly, in the direction of the sort of Christianity where people hide their television because they don't want the neighbours to know they have one. But they still do exist.

To be fair if there was an all powerful creator and that creator created time, the Big Bang through life on earth could have taken 6 days AND also lasted millennium since the natural flow/evaluation of time would mean nothing to an entity who could create it and thus manipulate it at will.

If time means nothing, constructing infinite complexity would also mean nothing. At least I think so. Easy come, easy go, right.  

All Stop. On Screen.

If time means nothing, constructing infinite complexity would also mean nothing. At least I think so. Easy come, easy go, right.  

So to an omnipotent creator what would mean something?

If I had to guess I would  say " the importance of Romance in RPG"....but I may be wrong? :ermm:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

English spring/summer. The sun is blazing, the heat is rising...

And I ended up out of bed far too early for a Saturday morning to jog half a mile uphill, run the police assault course as "practice" with odd bits of exercise as shown by my friend who is in charge of training us, then jog the half mile down hill.

Key things noted, I need to improve my leg strength, and get my general cardio up to improve fatigue levels.

Personal goals today. Shower. Seriously shower, drink, eat. Potentially collapse and let the next 12 hours go by with little movement...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, let me just tell you that 7th graders have a ridiculous concept of time.  If it didn't happen in the last month, it might as well have been forever ago.  :p