What you did today

LadyCrimson

I was, informally, offered a permanent job in North Dakota today. For what was hinted to be really good money. Obviously that creates some serious internal strife because it would mean some pretty big lifestyle changes. And not just for me. I asked them to give me to the end of the week to think about it. 

North Dakota !!! What is out there, won't you be bored? Isn't that cowboy territory ?

Petroleum-industry boom towns.  ND is the fracking capitol of the world, and a whole lot of support infrastructure is being built to support that.  (GD's background being in wireless communications, if I recall correctly.) 

• Like 1

I was, informally, offered a permanent job in North Dakota today. For what was hinted to be really good money. Obviously that creates some serious internal strife because it would mean some pretty big lifestyle changes. And not just for me. I asked them to give me to the end of the week to think about it. 

North Dakota !!! What is out there, won't you be bored? Isn't that cowboy territory ?

Petroleum-industry boom towns.  ND is the fracking capitol of the world, and a whole lot of support infrastructure is being built to support that.  (GD's background being in wireless communications, if I recall correctly.) 

Yes that is his background, good answer for a move to ND

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had a very good lasagna for $7 food court lasagna.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had an extremely vivid and glorious dream about stealing a friends (fast) car and going completely nuts with it on nightly country roads. In the dream I felt every single bump on the road, the lateral acceleration in tight corners, the sudden traction loss when a tire touched the grass, the stiff gear stick, the desperation when entering a corner a little too fast.
Speeds well above 250 km/h on tight twisty country roads at night.

See, thats why I don't own a car or motorcycle anymore, I know for certain that I don't have enough self control and that I'd kill myself in no time at all.  :unsure:

Reality y u so boring? 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well if you went speeding on country roads, it'd become boring.  All depends on your frame of reference, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Enoch is right. The job would be for WiMax network implementation. I've decided then changed my mind several times. The problem that is holding me up is I'd have to sell my house. I could not afford to keep two mortgages. I love this place. I built a good deal of it and have added on a lot in the years since. It is very... me. Plus I'd have to walk away from the consulting contract I'm working now and that would mean losing the bonus for completing it. And my fiancée was lukewarm to the idea. On the positive it is a great career opportunity and I'd be working with two of my former partners in a successful and stable company (I've forgotten what that even feels like).  

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Did some really heavy dumbbell flies and some push ups while having a friend sitting on my shoulders/back. Push ups are boring unless you're pushing your own + someone else's weight, then they get interesting very quick. 

On the positive it is a great career opportunity and I'd be working with two of my former partners in a successful and stable company (I've forgotten what that even feels like).  

Sounds good, I'd say go for it, in times like these few things are more valuable than a stable job that pays well and as a bonus having people you already know as partners. 

Edited by Woldan

Snow in April, cowboys in North Dakota ... all of these things are not like the other.  :no:

I'm slightly shocked at the beheading of Stefano Domenicali, the F1 Ferrari team principal. Sure, they say he quit ... but, you know, Italians. Chinese Grand Prix this weekend ... sounds like an oxymoron. Can't wait for the series to return to Europe. India, China, and Russia need to not be on the racing schedule.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Spent about half my day familiarizing myself with Exalted, the other half studying biochemistry. Realized that despite the valiant efforts of the guys at White Wolf, apoptotic pathways are way more metal than anything they came up with. Almost every concept or family of molecules has the word "death" attached to its name in some way or another (which makes it really similar to the Abyssal charmset, by the way). Now whenever I read this chapter of the textbook, the little voice in my head switches to a death metal growl.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm trying to plan my summer trip, and I'm having some struggles with the route home regarding what cities I should stop in.  My big struggles are:

Oklahoma City versus Dodge City

Should I stop in Amarillo Texas?

Santa Fe versus Albuquerque

I'm trying to plan my summer trip, and I'm having some struggles with the route home regarding what cities I should stop in.  My big struggles are:

I vote for Dodge City & Santa Fe. Just for the historical value if nothing else. There is nothing to see in Albuquerque. If it wasn't for Bugs Bunny nobody would have ever even heard of it.

If you do go to Amarillo you MUST eat at Coyote Bluff. Get the burger from hell. You've never had anything like it!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Vacation scheduling issues

My trip to the Dominican Republic is on hold due to a wedding and a birthday I'm expected to attend in the same month. I have enough days off to swing it but my wife does not.

I vote for Dodge City & Santa Fe. Just for the historical value if nothing else. There is nothing to see in Albuquerque. If it wasn't for Bugs Bunny nobody would have ever even heard of it.

If you do go to Amarillo you MUST eat at Coyote Bluff. Get the burger from hell. You've never had anything like it!

The last part reminded my of my last trip to Vegas. A friend drove from Texas and hit every place that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives along the way 

EDIT: I've never been to OKC or Dodge City but I would recommend Santa Fe over Albuquerque, it has more "personality"

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Changed my wifes brakes yesterday. Sore today. Man, I need to lose like 20 years. :(

I paid $1000 to have my (Audi..) brakes changed because I fail as a man and can't do it myself. Don't whine.

Edit: I can't speel

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sister asked me to look after her dog over night.  So had a worried german shepherd bouncing up and down and panting for most of it.

Thus, I didn't actually get much sleep. So the joys of one of those days fuelled by caffeine alone I think.,..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Today I found out that my shower is like a vertical version of a Goa'uld sarcophagus.  

It turns you into a nutter?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ok, looks like I've got a pretty solid 24 day RV trip planned for the summer.  We are hitting Las Cruces, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Branson, Dodge City, and Santa Fe.  It will definitely cross a lot of states off my list.

I just spent a few hundred bucks replacing the engine battery and getting the RV ready for the trip, so I'm ready. 

I should travel someplace for vacation. Thinking Portland or NYC. But have a feeling I'll have no such luck.

Today I found out that my shower is like a vertical version of a Goa'uld sarcophagus.  

It turns you into a nutter?

Depends on the water temperature. 

• Like 1

Suddenly, and for no very obvious reason, I feel incredibly relaxed. As in sitting on a porch gazing at the sunset having drunk two beers and eaten a very good fish dinner that you caught yourself, while stroking a loyal dog - relaxed.

How bizarre. Wouldn't it be awesome if I just stayed this way?

EDIT: I'm still relaxed, but I have to admit that the most logical explanation is that I just suffered some sort of spontaneous brain damage!

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Suddenly, and for no very obvious reason, I feel incredibly relaxed. As in sitting on a porch gazing at the sunset having drunk two beers and eaten a very good fish dinner that you caught yourself, while stroking a loyal dog - relaxed.

Heh, I feel exactly like that a lot!

Last night I called my former business partners and thanked them profusely for their consideration and declined their invitation. I love this house, this spot in the woods on Cold Creek. Then I slept through the night for the first night this week.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Last night I called my former business partners and thanked them profusely for their consideration and declined their invitation. I love this house, this spot in the woods on Cold Creek. Then I slept through the night for the first night this week.

I think you made the right decision. You do love where you live and person can be defined in some ways by where he lives. We find a sense of contentment. And no amount of money can necessarily bring you that same feeling. So even a better new job but in a different city doesn't mean you will be automatically happier. I imagine Steph is happy ?

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think you made the right decision. You do love where you live and person can be defined in some ways by where he lives. We find a sense of contentment. And no amount of money can necessarily bring you that same feeling. So even a better new job but in a different city doesn't mean you will be automatically happier. I imagine Steph is happy ?

Yeah, she wasn't crazy about the idea either and I don't blame her. She has a life, a career, and friends here she would not want to leave behind. That was a big factor in the decision.  

Thomas Sowell