Help me decide which "classic" and other RPGs to play

Fallen33

Those attempts rarely end well but if you are determined here is a tip: start with the oldest titles first.

If you can survive the shock of jumping into a game decades old your standards will adjust and things will get easier from there.

Also add Blade of Destiny to that list.

It's worth checking out just to see slightly another approach to RPGs.

Play NWN. The OC is fine. Not spectacular but it gets the job done. HOTU is a gem of an expansion. And, there are plenty of user mods that are beyond awesome.

JE is better than the majority of BIO or Obsidian games. Surely better than its lesser cousins the KOTOR series which are vastly overrated.

BG2 is the best game overall for legendary  adventure. PST has a great story but is overrated overall. FO1&2 are fantastic though FO1 is really short. FO:NV is pretty damn good.

GB games are a mixed bag. Some are good some not so much. Same with the M&M, W, and U series.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Try Alpha Protocol OP!

It's the most authentic, gold standard douchebag simulator. Being an evil prick has never been so satisfying and guiltless. Currently not a classic, but it will be cult classic in the future.

Mask of the Betrayer too if you want a good, surreal RPG a la Planescape Torment, but with less ****ty combat.

Edited by exodiark

I'd say that AP is already a cult classic, there's plenty of people who will rave about its good points.

The actual gameplay is a bit clunky, rather like Mass Effect's, but if that can be got past then it certainly manages to make a fairly cliche storyline work well. And annoying every character in it is immensely entertaining.

1) Don't play the BG1 / BG2 Enhanced Editions. They are perfectly playable games in their older state, and the changes EE make are controversial. I personally hate the EE's, but that's not why I'm saying this.  Rather, my point is that if it is your first time with your game, then you should experience it without an add-on which was not made by the original creators and about which many fans are divided. Furthermore, the originals are half the price of the EE's on GOG. 

2) You'll get a lot of contradictory opinions here, which is fine, and eventually you'll make up your own mind. I think having enjoyed FO1/2, you're perfectly capable of settling into BG1/2 and PST without them feeling 'too archaic', and these are really so well loved by almost all CRPG fans that they are the great starting points. After that, with more controversial titles, you can decide. AP is one of my favourite games, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as your starting point. 

• Like 1

And on the subject of enhanced editions, if you do get Blade of Destiny don't get the HD version which is still riddled with more bugs than a cheap restaurant in the tropics, get the originals. They've been free several times on GOG so there may even be people willing to gift them.

Final Fantasy VI needs to be added to that list. It's the best jRPG ever made.

You misspelled Suikoden II

Did Suikoden let you Suplex a moving train? I don't think so.

To be fair it was a Ghost Train, so it probably didn't weigh much.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Did Suplex work against that idiot octopus you fight around thirty times?

I think you grabbed a tentacle or something. Not sure.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And on the subject of enhanced editions, if you do get Blade of Destiny don't get the HD version which is still riddled with more bugs than a cheap restaurant in the tropics, get the originals. They've been free several times on GOG so there may even be people willing to gift them.

Best chance to get your hands on all three games...and more! http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/neo-retro-bundle/

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I strongly suggest skipping BG and going straight to BG2. BG is boring, has crappy encounters (largely due to low level nature of the game, lots of save scumming) and is probably the worst Infinity game (YMMV, but even IWD is a better game overall)

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

NWN2 is good, but I would play the OC only once or skip it entirely. IMO, it isn't that great.

The best part of NWN2 is the toolset; there are scads of player-made downloadable modules you can play, including good quality implementations of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

As far as a "games to play before I die" type list goes I think you're on the right track, so I'll just put in my two cents...

• BG, BG2, PS:T, IWD and IWD2 are all must plays. Some people are quick to write off the IWD games because they're light on story but I find the first one in particular to be a classic, expertly paced dungeon crawling adventure that can't be missed -- lots of beautiful locations, a great bestiary, and many interesting and satisfying battles. The second one is mostly worthwhile because of its mechanics. The conversion to 3E D&D rules offers a fresh experience compared to the earlier IE games and provides a lot of new options for character development. It *is* too long for its own good and definitely drags on, and some areas feel rushed and unfinished, but it's a fitting swan song to the Infinity Engine and worth at least one play-through.
  • The first Neverwinter Nights and its expansions can be skipped entirely IMO. The strength of the original series lies in its toolset and you will definitely be able to find some great modules that offer unique experiences, but the core releases don't offer anything that you can't find in the BG series (and all of it was done much better in those games, too). The OC of NWN2 could (arguably) be skipped for similar reasons, but there are some worthwhile moments (the trial and Crossroad Keep come to mind) so I wouldn't write it off entirely. NWN2 really hits its stride in its expansions though, both of which change up the formula of the series in refreshing ways and are must plays.
  • You already have some experience with Fallout 1 and 2, so I'd recommend finishing the second game and then moving on to Fallout: New Vegas and its DLC's, which are amazing. Fallout Tactics is optional and Fallout 3 not worth your time.
  • Arx Fatalis is overrated. It wouldn't be on any of my lists.
  • Dragon Age: Origins *might* be worth considering, but IMO only after you've already played most of the other titles on your list. It does its thing well, but is mostly just very generic and doesn't break any new ground. DA2 is not worth your time.
  • Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great and definitely belong on the list. I have not played ME3 because of BW / EA's ridiculous launch day DLC shenanigans (amongst other things) so can't comment on it.
  • Chrono Trigger is amazing.
  • KotOR 1 and 2 should be on there.
  • The Ultima Underworld games and Ultima VII Part 1 and 2 should be on the list if your comfortable going that far back and if you can find a way to enjoy them. Don't feel bad if they turn out to simply be "too old" for you.
  • I haven't played the Gothic series, Chrono Cross, Jade Empire or the old school Might and Magic games, so I can't comment on them.
  • Darklands should be on the list.
  • System Shock 2 should definitely be on there.
  • Arcanum should probably be on there since you specifically mentioned wanting to experience isometric CRPG's. It has its flaws, but offers a very unique setting and experience.
  • VtM: Bloodlines should definitely be on there.
  • The Witcher 1 and 2 should be on there.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

For JRPGs, definitely look at Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Suikoden II. Xenogears is fantastic until the end of the first disc, though the first disc is like 60-80 hours anyway. Suikoden III and V are also solid games, with V being almost as good as II. Breath of Fire 2 is one of my favorites, but the localisation leaves much to be desired, and Breath of Fire 3 isn't bad either. BoF4 takes a dramatic tonal shift and is much more serious than the first 3, and you can just skip Dragon Quarter alltogether.

I hear good things about Anachronox too, but I didn't get too far in it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In hopes that JRPGs count as well

Valkyria Chronicles, if you actually own a PS3

Persona 3 & 4

Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines

Well, most western RPGs I like have already been mentioned so I guess that's about it for now