Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Somewhat movie-related:

Stood behind a woman at a store where they had rewards programs, wherein the clerk would ask one his or her phone number so that the customer would earn points for store credit. She gave her phone number and the clerk asked "Erin Brockovich?" to confirm in a totally uninterested "I really don't want to be here" tone. The woman then answered her phone with a conversation that had something to do with "particles per square inch" and other lawyerly jazz.

I was tempted to speak up, but didn't since the only thing that I could think of at the spur of the moment was "Hey! You're that lady they made that movie about! You were played by Julia Roberts!" Perhaps attesting to my film nerd status, almost everyone else I related this story hadn't heard of the movie, much less who Erin Brockovich was.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

What bunker were they living in to not hear of Erin Brockovich when the movie came out (it garnered a bunch of award nominations)? Unless you told a bunch of teenagers or something who were like...3 when the movie came out...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

so, I saw a movie yesterday, and it featured a cast of young ladies:

gbf-cast-portraits-tribeca-21.jpg

I was completely charmed by all of them, really looking forward to seeing them in new roles

the movie's called G.B.F., btw. and it's a gay version of Mean Girls

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I saw Evangelion 3 yesterday. I didn't like it. It felt like nothing happened except that they changed the setting. And in changing the setting, they seem to have dropped stuff they were building up to in 2.

Like they got bored with what they were doing and decided to smash it all. And then we have a movie that deals with only introducing us to something they'd rather do and not even make any progress with that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

what do you mean "changed the setting"? is it a sequel of some sort and not a remake of the original series?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's essentially alternate continuity. The first movie is basically a remake, the second movie goes off the rails, the third abandoned the train entirely.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I got to admit, I've never understood the appeal of the Evangelion series.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I saw Evangelion 3 yesterday. I didn't like it. It felt like nothing happened except that they changed the setting. And in changing the setting, they seem to have dropped stuff they were building up to in 2.

Like they got bored with what they were doing and decided to smash it all. And then we have a movie that deals with only introducing us to something they'd rather do and not even make any progress with that.

Told you. I'm still reserving my judgment until I watch part 4. Maybe they got something planned and it will make sense in the end. Though there are pretty interesting theories that it was all foreshadowed in the original series and that in fact these 4 movies are a sequel.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

It's essentially alternate continuity. The first movie is basically a remake, the second movie goes off the rails, the third abandoned the train entirely.

I'd rather say that the train popped out rockets, wings, and started flying.

Not really experienced much in the way of movies so far this year, but I figured the long weekend was a good opportunity to fix that. Watched Milos Forman's Taking Off, a movie I had never heard of but purchased on the strength of one review. Forman's first American movie before he moved on to weightier topics, it's a wonderful comedy directed with a light touch, but beyond that notable for an almost everpresent folk soundtrack and low-key performance roles by Carly Simon, Kathy Bates, and also a performance by Ike and Tina Turner. What I noticed perhaps most of all, though, were the faces. A range of interesting, diverse and sometimes astonishing faces that the camera is all too happy to linger on. I get the feeling a fair number of the cast both central and peripheral were hired solely on the strength of their faces.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

On the movie trivia news..

Rumours confirmed:

Back in February we brought you news that a Farscape movie was supposedly in the works. Now Rockne O'Bannon, creator and showrunner of the original series, has confirmed that the movie is, in fact, happening.
Confirmation comes by way of TV.com:

Just a little bit of, maybe interesting, information to report. ;-p Texting me from WonderCon, a very good friend of mine (@PaulBurrows) just left the Showrunners Panel at [WonderCon]. A panel member, non other than Rockne O'Bannon, the co-creator ofWarehouse 13, Defiance, and Revolution... who was also Farscape's creator and showrunner - has indeed CONFIRMED a Farscape movie is happening.

SpoilerTV followed up with a quote from O'Bannon establishing Justin Monjo's involvement:
"Yeah, yeah it's the worst kept secret…We're far from production, but yeah, the first step is Justin [Monjo] working on a script for us. We'll keep our fingers crossed."
That's slightly different from what we heard back in February when the rumor was that Monjo had already written a script for the spinoff. Who knows what the actual status of that script is?

Here again is the summary of the reboot's reported plot, via Tor.com:

Set to follow the awesome comics written by our favorite Keith R.A. DeCandido, the film would follow John and Aeryn's son, D'Argo (or Little D, as we will always refer to him). Because their baby was exhibiting a set of interesting powers that made him a magnet for galactic villains, we find that John and Aeryn hide their son on Earth to grow up. Now the kid is 19 and ready to go into space with his parents.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Sunshine and did not like it one bit.

There was just nothing there that I felt it particularly succeeded at. They don't delve enough into the science for that to be compelling, they don't delve enough into the characters for them to be interesting and they don't delve enough into the scary bits for them to be scary.

Plenty of bits that have potential but on the whole I felt like it was a huge waste of time to watch this movie.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Talked a friend into watching "How to Steal A Million" and they loved it.

A classic whimsical heist movie with a young Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So,

the world doesn't die and Shinji won't get to the point of actually becoming an individual, while the world is dying around him, as opposed to the husk he was throughout the show?

. If there's one thing I like about Evangelion then it would have to be psychological part of it, and its post-modern legacy. It's the kind of anime I've spend a lot of time trying to sort out. What is it about exactly? Like say Lynch's Mulholland Drive, which is actually a plus from my end. It had its issues though.

Edited by TheChris92

If anybody got any recommendations to some underrated movie gems, or ones that are quite out of the ordinary like most of Spike Jonze's films or anything by Charlie Kaufmann I'd like to hear some. Got plenty of films to dig into right now, but I've been searching for films outside the spotlight, possibly contenders for Cannes that didn't get enough recognition or indies. There are a lot of fascinating pieces of cinema outside of Hollywood.

If anybody got any recommendations to some underrated movie gems, or ones that are quite out of the ordinary like most of Spike Jonze's films or anything by Charlie Kaufmann I'd like to hear some. Got plenty of films to dig into right now, but I've been searching for films outside the spotlight, possibly contenders for Cannes that didn't get enough recognition or indies. There are a lot of fascinating pieces of cinema outside of Hollywood.

Dead Man's Shoes by Shane Meadows, best revenge flick i've ever seen.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dead Man's Shoes by Shane Meadows, best revenge flick i've ever seen.

Excellent - One I actually haven't heard of. Much obliged!

Well - what about the classics like David Lynch's Eraserhead?

If not that, have you watched any Alejandro Jodorowsky films?  El Topo and Santa Sangre are pretty good; Holy Mountain certainly has a cult following but I've never been as satisfied by it as others are.

If you like dark comedies at all, you could do worse than cult film The Ruling Class with Peter O'Toole.