Sochi 2014

obyknven

Watching the women's slopestyle event right now. Dara Howell just put down an amazing run for Canada with a score of 94.20.

And as I'm typing this the Italian skier lost a ski on her landing. Was skiing on just the one ski for a couple seconds.

Canada takes Gold and Bronze, USA grabs Silver. Canada is owning the freestyle events.

Edited by Deraldin

Honestly I am no fan of Putin or the way Olympic construction was handled. But this western media masturbation over a handful of toilet pics is toxic in the most unbecoming manner and frankly pathetic. Ironically it's the same nitpicky nonsense Russian media uses.

As for antigay laws. No one has done more for "gay propaganda" than Putin's cronies. It used to be that no one cared, now that's all anyone talks about. Also very typical of our government. See also: P*ssy Riot.

• Like 3

Yeah, looking at the Olympics on the TV it looks excellent. Great slopes, great environments, great events all around.

And now hockey is about to start!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Honestly I am no fan of Putin or the way Olympic construction was handled. But this western media masturbation over a handful of toilet pics is toxic in the most unbecoming manner and frankly pathetic. Ironically it's the same nitpicky nonsense Russian media uses.

As for antigay laws. No one has done more for "gay propaganda" than Putin's cronies. It used to be that no one cared, now that's all anyone talks about. Also very typical of our government. See also: P*ssy Riot.

Interesting perspective, its good to hear another view apart from Oby :)

I'm sorry it seems we are always  attacking Russia but for me its about decline in human rights that concerns me the most.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It was an amusing pass time in the lead up to the Olympics. I have my start pages set to major news outlets and I haven't seen any mention of Russian toilets in Sochi for about a week.

• Like 1

It was an amusing pass time in the lead up to the Olympics. I have my start pages set to major news outlets and I haven't seen any mention of Russian toilets in Sochi for about a week.

That's a very valid point. I watch Sky, BBC and CNN primarily and I haven't seen the toilet incident mentioned since the beginning of the games

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I gave up on trying to watch sports in the Olympics. The only supposedly live coverage is on nbc's cable channel (not their "network" channel) after midnight (my time) and while I'm often a night owl, the selection of what they're choosing to broadcast isn't really my thing. Well, there was one skating bit at 6am or something but I'm not staying up that late. :)

I don't mix politics with my sports and I don't know anything about this years athletes, either, so no investment in that fashion.

It mostly just makes me miss baseball season.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

See, while I have respect for the athletes and the accomplishment it takes to get there..  I find I end up trying to avoid all mention of the Olympics on tv as a matter of principle the last few years.  There's just too much outright silliness, politics and public spending going on with them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

*watches snowboarding, sees all hype for shawn white, checks internet and mutes the TV because it's really stupid to keep building this tension when they know the answers*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's the thing I always find ironic about homophobia based on religious doctrine, you see comments like "god thinks homosexuality is a sin and abomination"

but how virtuous is encouraging hate speech, humiliation and violence against people? Aren't we suppose to love our fellow man unconditionally?

• Like 1

John Milton 

I never understood Curlng, however, after another reflection many people find activities which involve bending over and rubbing exciting.. so who knows ...

It's mopping as an olympic sport, what's not to like? :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Curling is surprisingly entertaining to watch, both men and women.  I used to laugh at it too, then I kept getting sucked into matches.  Now it;s something I really look forward to during the Olympics.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Somewhere out there, a curling hipster is gnashing their teeth and trying to find another obscure winter sport to follow. It has to be pretty close to the most discussed event at the olympics.

At this rate they'll have to add petanque or lawn bowls into the summer olympics.

At this rate they'll have to add petanque or lawn bowls into the summer olympics.

Those two might be safe for the hipsters because I have no clue what either one is.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks