Sochi 2014

obyknven

Rather glad to read all the 'journalists' complaining, though.  Problem when you practice corruption too greedily, I suppose, rather than the subtle way we do it.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Monte. You have to read the comments section!

Apparently, all the faults are being overblown because of 'gay rights'. :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rather glad to read all the 'journalists' complaining, though.  Problem when you practice corruption too greedily, I suppose, rather than the subtle way we do it.

Cost of corruption in EU is 120bn euros per year. Situation in North America is not better certainly. I can't name this as "a subtle way".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26016467

Cost of corruption in EU is 120bn euros per year. Situation in North America is not better certainly. I can't name this as "a subtle way".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26016467

Well, subtle in so much that people don't notice the effects easily.  Not implying that we're squeaky clean or anything here, though I guess it's a toss up whether it's inefficiency or crookedness for the most part.

Have there been any complaints by the athletes ? So far all I've seen is the Canadian hockey players having to bunk next to one another.  Looks like they built barracks :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This gives me warm fuzzy feelings of reassurance regarding the competitiveness of my country. Where we may not be able to manage complex multifaceted data centres. But we can at least install a lavatory.

EDIT: I'll admit we can only do it by paying Polish and Bulgarian people to install the toilet. but at least we have the good sense to do so.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? We're basically holding you by the by the balls, without us, you'd be still ****ting into buckets.

Toilet cleaner 99 lvl detected.

If seriosly Poles make problem for for yourself. Instead of to be independent, or be frendly with Russians ( who maybe evil and insane, but Slav bro anyway ), they trying be nice servants of Western Europeans ( who consider them as dirty untermenschen from East).

Just few quotes.

Poland: The heaven of the nobility; paradise of the Jews, purgatory of the common man, and hell of the peasant; the gold-mine of foreigners, and the source of feminine luxury. Rich in wool, it is yet without cloth, grows flax in overabundance, and yet imports linen from abroad, favours all foreign goods and belittles its domestic products, boasts of its costly purchases and despises everything that is cheap.

Italian saying

“* *Do remember that dishonesty and cowardice always have to be paid for.*Don’t imagine that for years on end you can make yourself the boot-licking propagandist of the Soviet régime, or any other régime, and then suddenly return to mental decency. Once a whore, always a whore.”

George Orwell, As I Please: 1943-1945

Whores. It's ecological niche prepared by West for Poland.  It's how they see you all.

You paid for the London Olympics ?  If not, that old joke doesn't quite work :p

On a much more positive note

This is a form of athlete exposure I can definitely get behind.

Wowzers, go Russia :dancing:

I think that's one thing we can all agree on, Russia does have some of the most  beautiful women in the world

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On a much more positive note

WHAT. DID. I TELL. YOU. ABOUT. LINKING. THE. DAILY MAIL????

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And why is an orthodox nation saying "Allahu Ackbar" or whatever?

And why is Akatosh nation saying "Almsivi" or whatever? This question really looks stupid in Tamriel Empire? Imagine how stupid  looks this question in Russia where 180 different ethnicities live instead of 9 in Tamriel.

1390478828-8de75f887824feabc0e83b07d2899

Those are some really impractical boots.  Yet I see ladies wearing them here too, boggling.

Actually, a freelance writer working for a Canadian company. Thanks for asking.

If seriosly Poles make problem for for yourself. Instead of to be independent, or be frendly with Russians ( who maybe evil and insane, but Slav bro anyway ),

It's interesting you equate independence with subjugation by the Russian state, given that the "Slav bros" already enslaved Poland twice in less than two hundred years (1795 and 1939).

they trying be nice servants of Western Europeans ( who consider them as dirty untermenschen from East).

I told you to get a real book to read, not the one with Stalin on the cover, didn't I?

Just few quotes.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." --Winston Churchill

Whores. It's ecological niche prepared by West for Poland.  It's how they see you all.

That's funny, because I get the exact opposite impression and I've been living in Germany for two years now. My diagnosis: Projection.

I have to admit that Europe having 3 Sochi's/ year worth of corruption was something I found somewhat amusing given all the comments about Russian corruption. Physician, heal thyself!

Europe is also the biggest market in the world. Some decay is inevitable in a sea of money.

Are those different ? :p

• Like 1

Malc you should  be trying to bond with a fellow Canadian, or at least someone who works for a Canadian company. Where are your manners   :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, no.  This month is going to be hell with all this Canadian patriotism and BS with the Olympics.  :p

• Like 1

Europe is also the biggest market in the world. Some decay is inevitable in a sea of money.

Yeah... "some" has the advantage of being a completely arbitrary amount so it facilitates a reasonable-sounding retort while making it impossible for you to be strictly wrong. Read the report itself, the corruption costs amount to a bit under the annual budget for the EU. Oh, and while we're at it, let's also gloss over the fact that corruption is by no means homogeneously spread, being worse in countries in the lower wealth brackets... or where the sea of money is actually rather dry.

Nah, accusations of corruption coming from the EU are an exercise in hipocrisy, no matter how you spin it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The EU budget has never been written off by auditors. Whistle-blowers are hounded out of office.

Europe is pretty seedy.

OTOH in Russia, whistle-blowers are fitted up with bogus charges, poisoned, machine-gunned etc.

Russia is really, really seedy.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The **** I deal with in writing doesn't smell as bad. And it's definitely more amusing, like the week when I wrote a series of articles on genital piercing.

Yeah... "some" has the advantage of being a completely arbitrary amount so it facilitates a reasonable-sounding retort while making it impossible for you to be strictly wrong. Read the report itself, the corruption costs amount to a bit under the annual budget for the EU. Oh, and while we're at it, let's also gloss over the fact that corruption is by no means homogeneously spread, being worse in countries in the lower wealth brackets... or where the sea of money is actually rather dry.

Nah, accusations of corruption coming from the EU are an exercise in hipocrisy, no matter how you spin it.

The EU budget has never been written off by auditors. Whistle-blowers are hounded out of office.

Europe is pretty seedy.

Gendo_Ikari_after_14_years_(Rebuild).png

Edited by Tagaziel

Those are some really impractical boots.  Yet I see ladies wearing them here too, boggling.

And, while her jacket seems quite practical I'd have to question the choice of jeans in snow. They'll get wet, don't hold heat well and are a recipe for hypothermia.

Talking fashion, I am also somewhat amused by the profusion of faux rainbow uniforms people and teams have come up with. Mainly because I'm unsure who is being genuinely being subversive and when it's just the media leaping on things to get reaction (as with the Russian official liking the 'rainbow' gloves who was obviously making a political statement. The 'rainbow' in question being the colours of the olympic rings...)