Sochi 2014

obyknven

Good teams often get lucky.

As you say, it's not a judged event that has external influences. The players play the game. You could argue it's an upset, I suppose, but both teams are clearly the top 2 in the world and on today, Canada emerged the better team (when it counts).

Of course, if you'd prefer to piss on the talented women's team for ****ting the bed and choking or whatever, that's your prerogative. I'm just not a fan of fans like that. I got pissy at Canadians bitching at Cheryl Bernard or Jeremy Wotherspoon in the last Olympics, and prefer to support the athletes regardless of their results because I can't imagine how difficult it is to put yourself in a position to even compete in the Olympics.

The only reason why I'd say that you could consider it an upset is that, if I remember correctly, the previous four times the US and Canada played (not Olympics, obviously), the US won.

There was some team shifts and a head coaching change and whatnot that may have helped contribute to some adjustments, however.

The Kanadian team has won 4 straight Olympic gold medals. No way can this be considered an upset, surprise, or choking.

Wow is this some semblance of patriotism I'm seeing, are you actually happy your country has done well?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sure it is. I think it does a disservice to the USA women's hockey team to claim that they lost it. There's two teams that play and like most highly competitive sports, its a game of inches. They got that opportunity because of some good fortune from the official as well. Good and bad breaks happen in competition, and Canada was able to capitalize.

Nah, Canada played like ****, they just got lucky.  It's not figure skating or ice dancing where you win medals because you've paid the judges to ignore the number of times you've fallen on your ass.  

Butthurt Korean ?  :p

It's not a disservice to point out to the US women that they screwed up and blew a 2-0 lead, which is pretty much what a choke job is.   Wonder how long it will be until there's 3 dominant teams to make the competition slightly less boring..12 years ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guess who attended a meeting with some Swedes after this game? But no matter, they were good sports without any glee or schaudenfreude. I wished them a nice weekend.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

USA better not screw up this time.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Or what? What are you gonna do? Nothing. Big talk little action.

The King does it again. So underappreciated and so underrated. Doesn't get any credit for the Swedes' success. DISGUSTING.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's not a disservice to point out to the US women that they screwed up and blew a 2-0 lead, which is pretty much what a choke job is. Wonder how long it will be until there's 3 dominant teams to make the competition slightly less boring..12 years ?

That's why they play the full game and don't just go "Oh, you're up 2-0. I guess we'll just call the game now."

• Like 1

It's not a disservice to point out to the US women that they screwed up and blew a 2-0 lead, which is pretty much what a choke job is. Wonder how long it will be until there's 3 dominant teams to make the competition slightly less boring..12 years ?

That's why they play the full game and don't just go "Oh, you're up 2-0. I guess we'll just call the game now."

And ?  The US team seemed to think that, hence their collapse and defeat.  Happens enough, on a season level with the football team I waste time supporting.

Hm, US men losing too.  Great, jackholes going to be slowing my commute home. :p

Edited by Malcador

Nahh, you want to see butthurt, see all the Koreans whining over the figure skating.  Mainly just wanting to experience the joy that will be the misery of my coworkers. Sports fans' behaviour when they team they root for loses is an enjoyable sight :lol:

Goodbye Finland! Now go and win that bronze medal, don't want those pesky North Americans getting two medals.

Great game though. We're lucky that Lundkvist hit his stride just in time for the Olympics. I thought losing Zetterberg was a tough blow (he is our team captain after all), but losing Rask? Ouch. Can't wait for the finals! Right now Canada is heading there (1-0 with 4 minutes left), but there's still time for the USA.

Edit: And Canada it is!

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Goodbye Finland! Now go and win that bronze medal, don't want those pesky North Americans getting two medals.

Finnish powerplay against good countries has been really bad only thing worse has been our penalty killing. Every other penalty killing ends up in goal.

I think it's fourth place for us, unless USA has already given up.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Butthurt Korean ?  :p

Right... because only a Korean could notice the obvious discrepancies in the Olympic judging that are indicative of corruption that has been a part of public knowledge since 2002.

Safe bet, for some reason there is enormous outrage by people who will admit they have no idea how the scoring works.  Also this Kim woman has creepy cult like fans.  In any event, isn't the case that the Russian girl tried a harder program and that overcame her mistakes relative to Kim ?  I've read some articles breaking it down and seems to indicate that the judges ruling was correct. 

Also, corruption in the sport here seems outrageous when it's some dirty Slav winning, heh.

IMO, 'Harder' or not, if you screw up you screw up. PERIOD. failures should not eb rewarded the gold which is SUPPOSED to be for the so called 'best in the world'. A skater who falls on their face should not eb crowned 'best' as that is a spit in the face of the athletes who did NOT fail.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.