RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

i've cried while playing video games, because of the game itself.  twice that i can think of.  (walking dead was one of them).  how many movies have made me cry?  probably about a dozen or so (same for books).  I play games for many reasons, but one of them is that I genuinely believe "video games" are the single greatest form of art/entertainment/media we have, and dismissing them as being unacceptable vehicles for social discussion and/or emotional engagement is, imo, dismissing film and literature in the same breath.

I cried when I played Mass Effect 3's ending, but likely for a different reason than why you cried playing the game you're referring to.

• Like 5

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I wonder if that was something Big Huge was working on before Curt bought it.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

You know what would be refreshing change, if you actually acknowledged something along the lines of "hey guys you know what. I was wrong. Games do actually have a significant impact in our lives. The same as a good book or movie. I agree that we think about them and the storylines"

I don't understand why people think that admitting they are wrong is somehow a sign of weakness or it undermines what others may think of them. Anyway just a thought :)

Don't pass your silly right and wrong label onto me. In my view, you are wrong as hellll. So who wins now? Come on guys, hit the green like button so I can feel I won an internet discussion. :)
  • Like 1

You know what would be refreshing change, if you actually acknowledged something along the lines of "hey guys you know what. I was wrong. Games do actually have a significant impact in our lives. The same as a good book or movie. I agree that we think about them and the storylines"

I don't understand why people think that admitting they are wrong is somehow a sign of weakness or it undermines what others may think of them. Anyway just a thought :)

Don't pass your silly right and wrong label onto me. In my view, you are wrong as hellll. So who wins now? Come on guys, hit the green like button so I can feel I won an internet discussion. :)

For me its not about right or wrong. This isn't a competition. But that's not to say you can't have your view or perspective changed on a topic through a debate on a particular forum. This has happened many times to me and I consider that a benefit from engaging in discussions on forums.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

RPS and the like are the backwoodsmen of a dying kulturkampf.

Like Japanese soldiers marooned on a lonely atoll in 1976, they refuse to accept that the war is over. The growth of communications and Globalisation, love it or hate it, has rendered the 1980's / 1990's politically-correct guerilla warfare of the libtardians increasingly obsolete.

People will think what they want to think. Being lectured about isms on a bloody gaming site? Excuse me why I fly my lolocopter over loloburg.

If RPS had one or two white knights onboard that would be fine. But to have this dull editorial three-line whip? It's like the website of a boring 1980s polytechnic student union (I suffered those days, sports fans).

Games are like any other form of media.For example, This Robin Thicke person I keep hearing about makes me want to barf. He is a pointless dinosaur. I ignore him.

Just like I increasingly ignore RPS.

You may carry on.

I need to mark this in my dear diary, but I do believe I am agreeing with Monte here. They've had a female prime minister, we've had a female president. Any attempts toward further equality since then have been of the "chopping tall people off at knees" variety driven by obvious paranoids.

As I grow older and less mellower, and spend an increasing time battling bureaucracy (as a lobbyist) and bureaucrats (as a defence attorney), I have a decreasing amount of patience for the PC thought police.

Admittedly, a side effect of the globalisation Monte mentioned is that people seem to assume that their perceptions are universal. Obviously, there are less enlightened corners of the world where the situation is different.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

RPS and the like are the backwoodsmen of a dying kulturkampf.

Like Japanese soldiers marooned on a lonely atoll in 1976, they refuse to accept that the war is over. The growth of communications and Globalisation, love it or hate it, has rendered the 1980's / 1990's politically-correct guerilla warfare of the libtardians increasingly obsolete.

People will think what they want to think. Being lectured about isms on a bloody gaming site? Excuse me why I fly my lolocopter over loloburg.

If RPS had one or two white knights onboard that would be fine. But to have this dull editorial three-line whip? It's like the website of a boring 1980s polytechnic student union (I suffered those days, sports fans).

Games are like any other form of media.For example, This Robin Thicke person I keep hearing about makes me want to barf. He is a pointless dinosaur. I ignore him.

Just like I increasingly ignore RPS.

You may carry on.

I need to mark this in my dear diary, but I do believe I am agreeing with Monte here. They've had a female prime minister, we've had a female president. Any attempts toward further equality since then have been of the "chopping tall people off at knees" variety driven by obvious paranoids.

As I grow older and less mellower, and spend an increasing time battling bureaucracy (as a lobbyist) and bureaucrats (as a defence attorney), I have a decreasing amount of patience for the PC thought police.

Admittedly, a side effect of the globalisation Monte mentioned is that people seem to assume that their perceptions are universal. Obviously, there are less enlightened corners of the world where the situation is different.

Nep take a deep breath and consider what you are saying. Did anyone make your coffee for you this morning, I would suggest you go immediately to the  hospital for a full toxicology and drug test. I am convinced someone has spiked your drink !!! :x

No sane person ever agrees with Monte, we all know that

:wowey:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd love to but I agree with BruceVC.

As an art form, games are fairly young. the same discussions were had over film in the first part of the last century. They were considered to be an entertainment form for the common masses, not on par with drama or literature.

And to be fair, many of the films that came out were not very artful.

But like with ANY art form, you have both pulp and art. Games are in their adolescence, I think. and beginning to grow up as an art form. You see many games being developed or released with something to say. I think anyone who has played Journey would consider it art, arguably games like spec-ops the line, which is very critical of society, are to be considered art as well.

Art reflects society.

And sure like in movies, you have your summer blockbusters, your Sharknados and Machetes. In the games industry, I see those coming from the big publishers, like EA and Ubisoft, or Activision-Blizzard. Still with all the crap that comes out of hollywood every year (and mostly, it is crap) you still have beautiful films respected as art. No-one these days would argue that film isn't art.

But, and especially with crowdfunding available, games are about to mature as an art form.

I believe it soon won't be a discussion any more.

That's not to say you'll lose the pulp. You'll still keep your CODs and Battlefields, and that's fine too.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Substitute 'Game' for 'Pop Video' in this article you've more or less got my position on this one.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100245877/the-feminist-war-on-sexist-pop-videos-is-fuelled-by-ugly-misanthropic-prejudices-of-its-own/

I fail to see the connection? A music video can be interpreted in different ways, the whole Miley Cyrus twerking incident is not the first raunchy music video we will see and will continue to see them. Personally I found the video fine and her way of trying to define herself and move permanently away from the Hannah Montana image. She also was the one doing it and made a conscious decision to make the video that way. I have no issue with that

But that's not the same thing as a group of developers that makes a game that portrays women in only one way or where the women, or other groups, are at the receiving end of crude or derogatory jokes.

John Milton 

Substitute 'Game' for 'Pop Video' in this article you've more or less got my position on this one.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100245877/the-feminist-war-on-sexist-pop-videos-is-fuelled-by-ugly-misanthropic-prejudices-of-its-own/

I fail to see the connection? A music video can be interpreted in different ways, the whole Miley Cyrus twerking incident is not the first raunchy music video we will see and will continue to see them. Personally I found the video fine and her way of trying to define herself and move permanently away from the Hannah Montana image. She also was the one doing it and made a conscious decision to make the video that way. I have no issue with that

But that's not the same thing as a group of developers that makes a game that portrays women in only one way or where the women, or other groups, are at the receiving end of crude or derogatory jokes.

Sigh. It's like we're talking about two different subjects.

Censorious people are censorious. It's what they do. Some of them subscribe to Marxist interpretations of mass media, the 'syringe effect' whereby the evil media-industrial complex injects evil thoughts that inhibit class consciousness into your brain (modern political correctness is the post Cold-War guerilla warfare variant of this). Others might be religious or social conservatives. Others might be into identity politics.

It all boils down to the same thing: don't be rude / nasty / unpleasant because it makes other people rude / nasty / unpleasant.

And I don't necessarily agree. I see an agenda. It's a political equation:I want to stop you making a stupid video or a GTA type game and this is my political collateral. It's about power.

And in a diffused, post-post modern world it really is like pissing into the wind.

You see altruism in these people. I see a political agenda. The high priests of PC, the white knights of RPS, are to me no different from the bat**** crazy dude who thinks D&D is the work of the devil or the Moms of America who think a nipple will corrupt the youth of the Midwest.

• Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

For me its not about right or wrong. This isn't a competition. But that's not to say you can't have your view or perspective changed on a topic through a debate on a particular forum. This has happened many times to me and I consider that a benefit from engaging in discussions on forums.

Okay, that first line is pretty funny from you. Seems it's about right/wrong a great deal as the other guy needs to fall in line, so to speak.  I'm lucky I'm pretty dead emotionally, can't say any game has made me cry.  Though Grim Fandango came close when I realized it was over in the credits and nothing was left to experience in the world. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow, this debate is still going on?

I'm of the mind that there is no out of bounds in comedy.  Pushing boundaries and wading into questionable territory is what comedy is all about.  The world is a ****ed up place, and the best way to deal with it is to laugh about it.  People need to grow thick skins, they need to fail, they need to get insulted, they need to get bullied, they need to get beat up.  When they do, they pick themselves up and grow tougher from it.  It's part of becoming an adult.  But this next generation won't because we coddle and shelter our kids so much these days.  Everyone's a "winner", no one can be picked on, no one can even be put in a position to fail, everyone is a "superstar".  They're growing up to be a bunch of spoiled, entitled, self righteous pieces of ****, and it's the people that are coddling and sheltering them from everything that are making it happen.

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just ironic that it is the political correct crowd they critisize, that have made a society where the people who hate political correctness can critisize it without fear of getting punched in the face :p

Not pointing fingers at anyone in this discussion (though I can think of the odd forum member this applies to), but how often does "Political correctness restricts my freedom" in reality translate into "I want to be a jerk but you shouldn't be allowed to call me that when I am" ?

And now I'll shut up again until this thread goes back on topic.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Keyrock...You perfectly described what has happened in my country after fall of communism in 1989... When a kid makes some **** today, it's everybody's fault, but not theirs, most of the time, it's fault of the teacher, who might get fired for that... When the kid made some **** before 1989, he ended up in reformatory...

EDIT2: As an example of how ****ed up are the laws we have now is described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kr%C3%A1sna_H%C3%B4rka_Castle

Pay attention especially to paragraph 2012 fire... These boys were found the next day. No one have been fined single euro, No one have been sued for this ****... It was one of the most exquisite and most treasured castles in Slovakia...

EDIT: No more offtopic from me in this thread kkthxbai

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The Shadow Sun Official Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyfmC_E_dLk

available for iOS from Ossian Studios

Mobile games have come a long way.  Though, I'm not sure how well this will play.  RTwP, I'm assuming that's how the combat works here, may not be particularly well suited for mobile, especially if it's played from a 3rd person perspective.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just ironic that it is the political correct crowd they critisize, that have made a society where the people who hate political correctness can critisize it without fear of getting punched in the face :p

Not pointing fingers at anyone in this discussion (though I can think of the odd forum member this applies to), but how often does "Political correctness restricts my freedom" in reality translate into "I want to be a jerk but you shouldn't be allowed to call me that when I am" ?

Come on, have guts enough to point fingers.  Always hate when people say that thing - especially with your comment about being punched in the face, heh.  Saying any kind of blowback is the PC brigade silencing you does happen though, as does this bizarre offensive-content hunting that some do.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree, well said :)

John Milton 

Okay, that first line is pretty funny from you. Seems it's about right/wrong a great deal as the other guy needs to fall in line, so to speak.  I'm lucky I'm pretty dead emotionally, can't say any game has made me cry.  Though Grim Fandango came close when I realized it was over in the credits and nothing was left to experience in the world. :p

Wow Malc you have got it all wrong about me. I don't want to prove people wrong but merely to give them a different perspective, see this as a positive development 8)

John Milton 

I don't quite understand why people target iOs for anything but puzzle games. Am I just so out of touch?

A windows release would have me interested. Ossian did well with Mysteries of Westgate.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't quite understand why people target iOs for anything but puzzle games. Am I just so out of touch?

A windows release would have me interested. Ossian did well with Mysteries of Westgate.

Yes.  :p

I actually think RTwP would work quite well from an overhead/isometric perspective.  Touch controls would be even faster and more intuitive than moving a mouse pointer for selecting targets, and multi-touch is perfect for AoE spells, allowing you to very quickly and intuitively not only determine where you want to center the spell, but also allow for further refinement by allowing you to adjust the size of the area of effect.  Selecting abilities/spells from a quickbar would also be quick easy and intuitive, though it would work a lot better on a tablet, as a phone's screen is just to small to make the quickbar icons large enough to be tapped easily.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸