The Funny Things Thread.

Rosbjerg

you know, I've heard and seen this come up a bunch of times, and I don't think it's true

When you break up an asteroid into a lot of tiny little pieces, you increase the surface area by such a large amount, that I believe it would burn up a significantly larger portion of the meteorite in the atmosphere, rather than if you can one big chunk with a limited surface area.

Thing is, you're not going to be able to determine beforehand if your impact is going to turn it into essentially dust, or if you're just going to blow off some 30% of it or whatever. Sure, if you can turn an asteroid into gravel, that'd be awesome. But at best, you're going to turn it into a slightly smaller impact that'll still be a killer.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This is the video I have to watch every 18 months:

It's only a preview. You don't get the Kenny Loggins music in it, but you get his hair in the last 10 seconds or so.

We had a funny one when I was first licensed, featuring someone named Earl, or something like that who did everything you weren't supposed to do on a truck, but I cant find it.

This one tries too hard:

What's strange about this one here is, I can't imagine the first thing that they cover being legal anywhere. In Ontario, if you want to do that with a human, they must be in a safety cage, and chances are they'll need a harness on as well if they're 10 feet (that number might be slightly higher or lower depending on where you live) or more off of the ground.

EDIT: Even if somehow they got special permission from the government to do that, I can't imagine that even then they could do it without a harness for that reason alone.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

this guy plays battlefield as if it were real, it's pretty funny/awesome. (I think)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Not funny as in "Haha!" funny, just amusing in it's own way (I was browsing the travel section of the BBC website)...

The candy striped mountains (from northern China). Unlike some peoples hair colours, those colours are real, no fakes and no additives ;)

wuad.jpg

• Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

From The Daily Mash:

Cold carriers face legal action
04-11-13

ANYONE catching a cold can sue the person who gave it to them, according to an EU ruling.

coldlady250.jpg

You are responsible for your nose

Legal experts ruled that anyone too ignorant to cover their sneezing nose with paper was effectively stealing several days of life from those around them.

Human rights lawyer Dr Mary Fisher said: “They would come into our workplaces, our cafes, our homes and disperse mucus without fear of redress.

“Every Lemsip, every soiled tissue, every episode of Dickinson’s Real Deal groaned through should be paid for.”

Successful claimant Stephen Malley said: “I told my brother-in-law. I said, you’d better not give me that cold. But he did, and now he has to sell his house.

“Good.”

The ruling has established a lengthy chain of claims which could eventually include 65% of the population, with every carrier sued initiating legal proceedings against the person infected them.

Roy Hobbs, who brought the original case, said: “I was laid up in bed with an absolute stinker on my birthday in November last year while the colleague who gave it to me went out to a firework display.

“Unfortunately, that infection of rhinopharyngitis has, over the course of a full year, been traced back to me again and I now owe 2,319,044 people more than £26 billion in damages.”

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

wtf did I just watch?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The point is, the correct course of action would be to attempt to deflect the asteroid just enough so it misses us, rather than breaking it up into pieces.  Assuming we detected it early enough and sprung into action quickly, we might only need to change its trajectory by a degree or two.

you know, I've heard and seen this come up a bunch of times, and I don't think it's true

When you break up an asteroid into a lot of tiny little pieces, you increase the surface area by such a large amount, that I believe it would burn up a significantly larger portion of the meteorite in the atmosphere, rather than if you can one big chunk with a limited surface area.

I'm pretty comfortable leaving this whole scenario in the hands of rocket scientists.  

It probably should be in a different discussion than "funny things"...

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

0628ff844d3a7c22d19d9085b1525378_zps9b9f

I don't get it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They were washing clothes before going to the club and were accidentally sprayed with laundry detergents.. which glows under black light.. like many bodily fluids.

Sometimes one just can't help feeling like a high court judge...

-Elwood Blues