The Funny Things Thread.

Rosbjerg

Favourite one was the one in which it simply says "War" in the Balkans.

Fifth one down was very promising... until it said "Belarus" where the Czech Republic was.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

But that's like asking us to name the districts of Germany or something - irrelevant.

Now I'm certain your average European would do better with Europe.. but try letting them name South American, African or Asian countries :)

Fortune favors the bald.

We had a test like that once towad the end of elementary, or the beginning of middle school. We studied before, and I did pretty well, but yeah.
Like every bit of knowledge, it only sticks as long as it's used, and personally I've no interest in Yugoslavia. And I'm not going to begrudge anyone for not knowing where Hungary is.
Plus our neighbourhood is made up of a dozen "small" countries, harder to remember.

I like how half of them wrote Borat across Eastern Europe.  Honestly they did pretty good, it was clearly an educated group.  

Maps were a lot easier when we could just write USSR across the East.

But that's like asking us to name the districts of Germany or something - irrelevant.

Now I'm certain your average European would do better with Europe.. but try letting them name South American, African or Asian countries :)

How do you figure?  Each state in the US is very different, with separate constitutions.  Size wise they also are more comparative to countries than districts.  I would expect most Europeans could label California, Alaska, Texas, and maybe a few of the Eastern seaboard states.

I can label most of your eastern, southern and western states, but no idea about the middle and northern ones.. but for you they are different yes, for us you guys are very very similar..

Travel a 100 miles here and everyone speaks, eats, dresses and behaves radically different. For you there's a noticable difference over a 1000 miles.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Well, with a bit of effort I could probably name them. Probably get the North/South divide right. But I wouldn't be certain of getting them in exactly the right geographical locations..

But it's one of those pieces of general knowledge that you rarely have to actually exercise. And it's not as if at any point in your schooling we get sat down and taught American states. Geography lessons will point out "This is the US, this is Canada, this is Mexico" etc.. but there's little point in breaking it down further for most people on this side of the pond... We get exposed to various cities in exported US tv shows, but how often do they make particular note of which States they happen to be in?

I guess with the European countries it makes more sense to recognise them due to all of the global politics and news aspects of it all. Then again, I grew up with the news over Yugoslavia breaking up, and the Glasnost period and the USSR breaking apart. So it was more relevant to being "on my awareness" as it were.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How do you figure?  Each state in the US is very different, with separate constitutions.  Size wise they also are more comparative to countries than districts.  I would expect most Europeans could label California, Alaska, Texas, and maybe a few of the Eastern seaboard states.

You all speak the same language, have essentially the same cultural background and history. If I travel 150km west I end up in a country without human speech OR undertsandable counting method.

Detailed explanation; http://satwcomic.com/just-a-number

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"Spain's Butt" :D

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hey, I know it's hard being the underdog and inferiour in every way, but that's no excuse for insulting our glorious language or numbersystem..

Now give me 5 3halfdusins pushups!

Hehehe, I remember the first time I was in Fredrikshavn, I was pretty young and had never met or spoken to a dane before, but my uncle reassured me that it was easy to understand them. Walked around the town and got hungry for a hotdog and saw a stand with a cute girl manning it, went up and ordered myself two hotdogs wich she prepared, no problem understanding her questions or anything.

She handed me the dogs and told me it'd cost 54 kroner. In Danish ofcourse.

I stared at her in shock, pure shock, so pure shock that she could'nt stop laughing and gave me the dogs for free. \o/

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRibRj770J8

EDIT: As for comparing US states to Euro countries I think it works on most levels. Obviously the cultural differences aren't as pronounced (though some local accents can be completely indecipherable) but I think for size, population, and economy it's a fairly apt comparison

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

It'd be like saying that'd be 4 and half3twentig please, in English.. That should scare anyone. Basically we count like this 4 and 2,5x20. For saying 54.

Also

I've tried now for a little while to get it into my head, but it does'nt make any sence; Well, 4 does, but... Halvtreds sounds more like... 15.

I should've paid better attention when my grandfather tried to teach me orsamål and given the danes a run for their money. >:)

Hardly.  EU's land area is 10,180,000 sq km, Continental US is 9,826,675 sq km.  52 EU countries and 48 US states, we're talking about equally sized puzzles and the pieces average out the same so it'd be similar in terms of pointing them out

All wiki'd stats, so take as you will.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You all speak the same language, have essentially the same cultural background and history. If I travel 150km west I end up in a country without human speech OR undertsandable counting method.

Detailed explanation; http://satwcomic.com/just-a-number

Oooh... satw (Scandinavia and the World). Gorth's favourite web comic.

Here Denmark is trying to teach America the differences between the Scandinavian languages:

Language Lesson

Related languages, yet slightly different. I've met dialects in Denmark that was more different to Danish than say Swedish.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They're awesome, just a shame they don't release more of them. ;)

Orsamål is a really old dialect, that I could understand some of when I was a kid and actually spent time up there during the summers. There is a video on youtube from a Swedish TV-show about "dalmål" dialects where they have a few samples. :)

Some horrible singing, but very witty lyrics;

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8514-Fun-Pay-Wall