Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

The Conjuring - Had a few decent creepy moments and decent "atmosphere", but otherwise your typical haunted house/possession type movie. Don't see what all the highish review scores were about.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't see the problem of retelling a classic story (or any story) to a different audience  :shrugz:

If it's good or not is a separate issue

The issue is not retelling the story. It's how stupidly Hollywood does it. That's why i used equally profoundly stupid scenarios like a movie about Julius Caesar, set in ancient Rome, but starred by an all-japanese cast.

While Throne of Blood and Ran were based on Shakespeare, they completely changed the setting and threw out everything except the basic plot-points. See the difference?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't see the problem of retelling a classic story (or any story) to a different audience  :shrugz:

The issue is not retelling the story. It's how stupidly Hollywood does it. That's why i used equally profoundly stupid scenarios like a movie about Julius Caesar, set in ancient Rome, but starred by an all-japanese cast.

While Throne of Blood and Ran were based on Shakespeare, they completely changed the setting and threw out everything except the basic plot-points. See the difference?

But...47 Ronin is set in Japan with what I believe is a mostly Japanese except Keanu (explained in story) and the westerners on the outer islands (Dutch?) that appear in the single sequence when the lead Ronin goes there (to recruit Keanu - explained in the story)

Which is a bit more like if Japan had done a movie about Julius Ceasar, set in Ancient Rome, filmed in Budapest and staring a mostly european cast except for one of the two male leads who is a period explained Japanese national or something.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched God Bless America the other night and its very entertaining. Despite being a parody of American culture it does raise some real issues like the religious extremism that exists in the USA and the worrying addiction that some people have for social media and reality shows.

Worth watching, a solid 68/100 :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I watched God Bless America the other night and its very entertaining. Despite being a parody of American culture it does raise some real issues like the religious extremism that exists in the USA and the worrying addiction that some people have for social media and reality shows.

Worth watching, a solid 68/100 :)

Also praiseworthy for a great performance by Joel Murray.

American Psycho.. chilling movie.

With Christian Bale? Is it wrong/weird that I find that movie hilarious?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

:lol: It is black comedy/satire, but still seems funny to put it under that category.

American Psycho.. chilling movie.

With Christian Bale? Is it wrong/weird that I find that movie hilarious?

It is definitely satirical but I wouldn't go so far as to call it funny. You have twisted streak, I like that.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But...47 Ronin is set in Japan with what I believe is a mostly Japanese except Keanu (explained in story) and the westerners on the outer islands (Dutch?) that appear in the single sequence when the lead Ronin goes there (to recruit Keanu - explained in the story)

Which is a bit more like if Japan had done a movie about Julius Ceasar, set in Ancient Rome, filmed in Budapest and staring a mostly european cast except for one of the two male leads who is a period explained Japanese national or something.

I gotta say I was a bit disappointed with all the fantasy elements, there is plenty of meat in the original story. It's basically The Three musketeers meets The Count of Montechristo meets Hamlet (everybody dies) , and there are 49 of them. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I've read that Keanu isn't meant to be the major player in the movie and now won't watch this. Maybe when it eventually hits Channel BT if I have nothing else to do. It was reshot / edited so that Keanu became the main character. Previously it was supposed to be the Japanese actor as the main protaganist. Supposedly, now the movie sucks hard.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/47_ronin/ 11% used to be 0%

A guy on reddit said he worked on the film, and said he saw the old cut of the movie by the producer or director. However, as mentioned above, the studio wanted Keanu as the main guy. The producer or director was fired, and the movie reshot. In doing that, the reddit guy said it became a shell of a movie.

I've heard that too but after seeing it I didn't think it was that bad (6.7 on IMDB, seems about fair) and it still seemed like the Japanese actor (Hiroyuki Sanada according to IMDB) had the same amount if not slightly more screen time. 

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a great movie by any means but I just don't understand all the outrage

Not really. Shall we agree to disagree?

Free games updated 3/4/21

I just don't understand all the outrage

What outrage would that be? I haven't seen any outrage myself. More disappointment from people I've seen comment on the movie that's seen it. I've seen comments where people are wondering if the original cut might surface somewhere down the track as they'd like to see how the original cut was like. From memory Keanu had 15 minutes on-screen, now he is the main guy. Pity really, I too would like to see the original cut.

I've read that Keanu isn't meant to be the major player in the movie and now won't watch this. Maybe when it eventually hits Channel BT if I have nothing else to do. It was reshot / edited so that Keanu became the main character. Previously it was supposed to be the Japanese actor as the main protaganist. Supposedly, now the movie sucks hard.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/47_ronin/ 11% used to be 0%

A guy on reddit said he worked on the film, and said he saw the old cut of the movie by the producer or director. However, as mentioned above, the studio wanted Keanu as the main guy. The producer or director was fired, and the movie reshot. In doing that, the reddit guy said it became a shell of a movie.

IMO, whether it was originally intended or not I can understand why the production thought it necessary - Keanu's part - a love story - seems designed to give a hook for audiences who don't give a flip about Samurai honor and to mitigate negativity felt by the death of the protagonists.

For my part they should have let audiences judge it on its own as it was intended (assuming it wasn't intended this way) but I can understand the producer's fears.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Reacher - Very entertaining, I think they nailed the character in the books.  It's really a fairly dark movie.  Tom Cruise was great.

Yeah I saw it 3 nights ago and enjoyed it

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Reacher - Very entertaining, I think they nailed the character in the books.  It's really a fairly dark movie.  Tom Cruise was great.

I have to admit, it's interesting how it works out.  The author wrote Reacher as this huge guy purely to give that sense of implacable, unstopping nature and he was initially against Cruise because he isn't a big guy. But Cruise manages to convey all of that just with the personality he infused into the character, which is kind of impressive by itself.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Still sounds inheritly bad.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've heard that too but after seeing it I didn't think it was that bad (6.7 on IMDB, seems about fair) and it still seemed like the Japanese actor (Hiroyuki Sanada according to IMDB) had the same amount if not slightly more screen time. 

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a great movie by any means but I just don't understand all the outrage

Not really. Shall we agree to disagree?

'k.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I have to admit, it's interesting how it works out.  The author wrote Reacher as this huge guy purely to give that sense of implacable, unstopping nature and he was initially against Cruise because he isn't a big guy. But Cruise manages to convey all of that just with the personality he infused into the character, which is kind of impressive by itself.

Yeah, there was really only one scene where it didn't work.  At one point the detective asks a hotel clerk if she has any residents that kill someone in one punch, and she mentions a pseudonym that Reacher was using.  Tom Cruise doesn't really look lke the type that could kill with one punch :p

That being said, he exuded charm and intelligence, and by the end a real sense of dangerousness.  

Return of the Living Dead. Is it just me, or does every 80's movie flash boobs at really weird time?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands