Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I mostly remember his older movies. Loved the Dirty Dozen and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A personal favourite is "Don't Look Now" for the sheer creepiness.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sutherland_scream_Invasion_Of_The_Body_S

Invasion of the body snatchers is a classic, love it. ''Don't look now'' was on free TV only a couple of weeks ago, the old woman dwarf murder...thing.... still gives me the creeps. Also it never ceases to amaze me how creepy off-season Venice with no people on the streets is. :w00t:

My favorite Donald Sutherland performance however his his small role as crazy arsonist in Backdraft, he just nailed it. Oscar-worthy seconds of brilliant acting. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thanks for the suggestion, never heard of that movie before. Hey, Donald Sutherland and Ralph Fiennes? That film must be good. 

Be advised that many critics didn't like it. But I honestly don't understand why. The central theme is morality and power and it handles it superbly IMO.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Machete Kills!

Full of that gloriously silly grindhouse style experience. Gore, disjointed racism in a way to make fun of, silly violence, excuses to do really silly things.. Killer Hookers with Machine-Gun Jubblies, and.. "Machete don't tweet!"

That and "Put on your 3d Glasses Now!" flashing on the screen when Amber Heard tries to seduce Machete.

Also, the trailer shown for "Machete Kills Again... In Spaaaace!"

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah I enjoyed Machete Kills pretty well too - unfortunately I think Machete Kills Again...In Space could be in jeopardy based on poor box office.

I watched THOR: THE DARK WORLD which I liked a lot.  Good follow-up to the original, liked how they advanced the characters and scenarios.  It was well done over all.

Later I watched THE MUTANT CHRONICLES.  Low budget sci-fi WWI via steampunk mash-up war film with Thomas Jane, Anna Walton, Ron Perlman  and a cast of people making short cameos (hello John Malkovich) in a low budget production done primarily in green screen.  Taken on what it gives its kind of fun up until near the end when all of the characters succumb to terminal (or near terminal) stupiditis.  And is it just me or is Sean Pertwee aiming to be the guy who dies in the most modern genre films?

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I loved the Mutant Chronicles game for Genesis, but couldn't force myself to sit through the movie. maybe I should try again

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well its not a terribly good film, so I couldn't recommend it without reservation. 

If you have a high tolerance for low-budget sci fi films, war films, films in which people do really stupid things...maybe. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Or just to watch it and go "My god, I recognise that face!" every few minutes with the amount of folks in it..

I love Robert Rodriguez's films, and I was going to see Machete Kills in cinema today but they've cancelled its run in all but a few venues, and I'm not going to travel for 3 hours to get the 22.45 screening in the middle of nowhere.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The Numbers Station starring John Cusack and Malin Åkerman; story revolves around a CIA agent assigned to protect a code operator at a secret CIA transmitting station.  Predictable.  4/10

The Internship staring Vance Vaughan and Owen Wilson; two 40-ish unemployed salesmen compete with a group of 20-somethings for internships at Google.  Formulaic plot with a few good laughs but nothing that comes close to the Wedding Crashers.  5/10

not exactly movies, but I watched the first two seasons of The Wire

while I did like the first season, even though it didn't live up to my expectations (after hearing so much about it, how it was the best TV series in the history of TV series) - it had nice flow, good direction, characters were handled well, generally - the second season is all over the place, and I would never recommend it to anyone. what the hell were they thinking?

I'm now trying to figure out if I want to give season 3 a chance...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Gravity

See it.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm impressed how quickly it rose on the top 250 on IMDB it's #52 now.. I'll definitly check it out once it hits DVDs or Netflix.

Also, saw a trailer for "Under the Skin" and got very exited, then I read the premise and got a little less exited.. I would love to see a movie that truely tries to delve into the alien. It's a perspective that's understandably not very explored, but I feel it has soo much potential. Perhaps Lynch could pull it off..

Fortune favors the bald.

Well Under the Skin is based on a novel, so I imagine it's going to be - more or less - what the novel is + whatever Jonathan "Sexy Beast" Glazer brings into it...

Ender's Game.

Eh, I'm not sure how to take it. It's got some good performances in it, and some interesting turns for the story but they've had to cut a whole lot out from the book. The training is really cut short and they don't really go into the full on psychological twisting of Ender through the events. So I guess it's more like the original short story then the full blown novel he re-did it as.

looks terrible

I dunno, I think it has potential.  Script by Paul Dini, directed by production designer Robert Stromberg who I think has a very good visual eye.  Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning can both act so...potential there.

• Like 1

Some awesome silat on concrete action. 

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

looks terrible

I dunno, I think it has potential.  Script by Paul Dini, directed by production designer Robert Stromberg who I think has a very good visual eye.  Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning can both act so...potential there.

People said the same thing about that Snow White remake, and that turned out better than expected.

You mean the one with Charlize Theron? I actually liked it. Although, someone other than K.Stewart as Snow White would make it a lot better.

Or did you mean the one with Julia Roberts?  :disguise: In which case I have nothing to say to you

Walsingham said:

You mean the one with Charlize Theron? I actually liked it. Although, someone other than K.Stewart as Snow White would make it a lot better.

Or did you mean the one with Julia Roberts?  :disguise: In which case I have nothing to say to you

There was a Julia Roberts version?

I was talking about the Charlize Theron one, I think it was called The Huntsman or something.