What you did today

Rosbjerg

I'm pretty sure I know what plain old boredom feels like...I've battled that mental attitude constantly since I was six. :lol:

I really have no clue what "mid life crisis" is supposed to officially be defined as, versus "boredom"...to me the former is kind of a meaningless phrase people parrot because everyone else does. I'm not moping about regrets or remorse for the past ... I just feel old and used up. Closer to the end than the beginning. It's depressing. Stuff like arthritis doesn't help I suppose. Meh, I'll work it out.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No idea what I did, but I woke up having somehow wrenched my shoulder in my sleep. So the day is off to a good start.

LadyC, it does sound similar to some general bouts of  severe depression. Although a lot of people seem to view that as a nasty curse word rather then an actual problem. It might be worth having a look at it from that point of view and seeing if anything clicks.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It is what it is. I've had a few friends who suffered from it. Hell, I've struggled past bouts of it. Yes, even someone as charming and vivacious as me.. :shifty:

http://youtu.be/VYs05qPycYQ

Sometimes it's the feeling depressed and sad even when things are going right, sometimes it's finding yourself running on an extremely blank keel where while you might not be "sad" you just can't find any joy or motivation or boost that helps you push along through each day.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I prefer Winston Churchill's description of the 'black dog'.

Like Nepenthe I take the view that society, and particularly business, is not mature enough to handle admissions of depression. If it were I'd be tempted to get treatment on that basis. as it is I apply the socks up, shoulders back, eyebrows down formula.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Like Nepenthe I take the view that society, and particularly business, is not mature enough to handle admissions of depression. If it were I'd be tempted to get treatment on that basis. as it is I apply the socks up, shoulders back, eyebrows down formula.

I don't know anyone that's suffered from depression get any help to get out of it. They get drugged up and left to their own devices, wich has cost me a couple of good friends. Makes me extremely unwilling to seek aid for my own problems aswell, and it definetly does'nt help that my mother used to work in a ward.

She quit when she saw how things were heading, were people that really needed help and surveillance were to be sent "home" and nurses to ride around and check up on patients for one hour and then piss off to the next.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Depression thread, maybe?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know anyone that's suffered from depression get any help to get out of it. They get drugged up and left to their own devices, wich has cost me a couple of good friends. Makes me extremely unwilling to seek aid for my own problems aswell, and it definetly does'nt help that my mother used to work in a ward.

She quit when she saw how things were heading, were people that really needed help and surveillance were to be sent "home" and nurses to ride around and check up on patients for one hour and then piss off to the next.

That's my take on it, as well. Any diagnosis of depression in my case would thus be self-administered, but for years I felt a seductive call whenever a train or other high kinetic energy object passed me. It left me around a year ago, and I've emerged stronger than before from it. I'd like to think that I'm even stronger because I dealt with it by myself, but I hope that people in general would be able to get help for those issues.

Got the first of a bunch of hepatitis AB vaccinations, which one should have in this profession but everybody forgot to tell me about. Second day of absolute mental exhaustion at work, trying to hammer some **** together during my final hour before leaving.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Realizing reading people being outraged over things on the internet is too entertaining for me than it should be, but still is pretty funny. Today's bit is http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/13/mom-twerking-shame-video_n_3916580.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular . Some comments on punishment being bad for kids are good, heh.

Nice sunny cool day, and...my project is going nowhere again. Enjoyable.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think LadyC should get a Harley and some leathers and join a biker gang.

Also if she is going to get a sports car in the bay area, she needs to get a Tesla, they are the hot item nowadays.

I've been estranged from my parents and sisters for a little over a year now, and my sister sent me a text yesterday.  It read:

"Hi Patrick, how r u?  How r the kids?  What is your favorite hockey team?"

:blink:

My first reaction was:

trap.jpg

• Like 3

Sometimes one just gets tired of feeling like everything you do is a repeat, after a few decades or more I guess. Maybe I should get a pilot's license and a small plane.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I'd describe your feeling as one of ennui.  I suppose depression could be it, but it sounds more like you've done the things you enjoy so much you can't enjoy them because they've become routine.  So kicking the routine for awhile may help.

Getting the pilots license, if its something that'd interest you, could help kick your general malaise* in the pants.  Once you get the license you can decide if the plane would help.

*someone really should do a story with a military character named General Malaise - that is if they haven't already.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I call it existential melancholy, but I'm also a pretentious snob.

The cure (for me at least) is simply new experiences and pushing out of your comfort zone.

The problem is, new experiences grow old fast.

And for me at least they seem to grow old faster with each experience.

Sometimes its like being a junkie chasing for the next high.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Well that's a bit trickier, but in my experience to avoid addiction you need to avoid unconscious repetition and pleasure and focus on consciously appreciating things... not a good explanation, but I hope you get the meaning.

Because existentialist melancholy is essentially, imho, the boredom of unconscious repetition. Like zoo animals slowly going crazy from lack of varying and engaging stimuli.

Fortune favors the bald.

I think LadyC should get a Harley and some leathers and join a biker gang.

Also if she is going to get a sports car in the bay area, she needs to get a Tesla, they are the hot item nowadays.

I've been estranged from my parents and sisters for a little over a year now, and my sister sent me a text yesterday.  It read:

"Hi Patrick, how r u?  How r the kids?  What is your favorite hockey team?"

:blink:

My first reaction was:

trap.jpg

I remember the story you told us. Is this the same sister who told you that your family had issues with your wife and ultimately caused the rift?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Today I sat blinking at the screen as someone explained to me that:

"Than" is old English and we don't use it anymore since after the new millennium.

And that therefor they are correct to replace it with "then".

What smugfunt told you that?

Smugfunt ... funtwit ... how great is this word as a prefix and suffix.    

All Stop. On Screen.

Yep.  Part of me doesn't want to put in the time or energy to try and patch up the relationship, but I'll talk it over with my wife and see how it goes.  Bleh, not exciting.

Its interesting actually, she is obviously feeling guilty about what she did and this is some sort of attempt to reach out to you.

Its a tough one around how you respond but I would understand if you didn't respond or you were very terse in what you said to her

Good luck either way :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What I'm doing right now is being annoyed by the idiocity of some people, just read that a hunter and professional poacher here in Austria ticked out, took hostages, killed three police officers and a paramedic who tried to reanimate one of the shot cops.
Really, murdering an unarmed person who made saving lives his job is beyond evil. I just hope the police shows no mercy and kill him on the spot before he causes more harm. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Yep.  Part of me doesn't want to put in the time or energy to try and patch up the relationship, but I'll talk it over with my wife and see how it goes.  Bleh, not exciting.

Always a good idea to consult with management. :p

Reading Glassdoor reviews of my company, I have to say "I should have worked in a supermarket" takes the cake.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lying on a couch, looking up at the ceiling. I'm struck with this profound realization of how I'm just this particular bag of atoms, on a rock, in a solar system, in a galaxy, in a universe.. That RIGHT now it's really happening.. The scale of it..

Who needs drugs when reality is this trippy.

Fortune favors the bald.

Go buy yourself a nice convertible Porche LC, that will right your ship. :p

Cat got deballed yesterday, will be picking him up on the way home from work.

I would have suggested this bad boy  (McLaren MP4-12c  ) 

McLaren+MP4-12C+2.jpg

1970_Fiat_500_L_--_2011_DC_1.jpg

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!