Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Perhaps I'll try playing a Jedi Knight then. How bad is the MMO gameplay?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Bounty Hunter is pretty cool too.

I can't let this go without disagreement. I found it unbearable.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

that's been my problem with SWTOR, I am enjoying the story, but the MMO gameplay is just so boring. I quit shortly after getting my apprentice in the Sith Warrior run. I just couldn't be bothered to slug through it for the story anymore. If they took the game, and redid the gameplay with single player in mind, and sold it for full price again, I would probably buy it.

Yep. Absolutely terrible gameplay, especially after giving it a try after Ages of Conan and TERA.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Perhaps I'll try playing a Jedi Knight then. How bad is the MMO gameplay?

Mechanics wise it's fairly standard fare. You get a ton of abilities with cooldowns and various resource management to keep the more powerful ones in line. And there is a fair amount of filler quests (kill 20 enemeis type fare), though at least when levelling up there is story justifications for all of them.

You can do the whole levelling experience 100% solo if you so desire. You'll run into other players of course, and might get frustrated when they steal objectives in front of you, but it's not too bad most of the time.

As for the different story lines I'd rank them as following:

1: Imperial Agent. It's not necessarily all that Star Wars-y, it's more of a James Bond type story set in the SW universe. But it is well written with an interesting set of characters and some cool choices to make. Choices won't impact the storyline all that much, but will give you a more distinct feel of your character. This is the only story line that does this to any real degree, the rest are mostly all about light/dark.

2: Jedi Knight: Certianly the most epic story line. It's not the best written or anything, but you get to be awesome. While this is true for the other stories as well, the others don't take it to this level.

3: Smuggler / Bounty Hunter / Trooper: I found these to be about the same level. They're fun and a good fir for their respective classes, but nothing super special. I've heard that if you have real life experience with military life, the Trooper story line gets a bit worse, but for me it was fine. Just like the IA story, the trooper story line isn't very Star Wars-y, but rather a military story set in the SW universe. Not so strange really since neither of those two classes are really a huge part of Star Wars lore (instead only exist to serve as mirrors of the more iconic classes on the other faction).

6: Sith Warrior: The story was ok, but I am struggling a bit with the sith stories in general due to the comic-book-evil nature of most antagonists. But if you don't mind overly much, the warrior story is fairly well written and gives a good insight into sith politics and power plays.

7: Sith Inquisitor: The SI story starts out really well. The prelude captures the essence of being a sith recruit perfectly, and the first chapter is ok ending with a hilarious plot twist. Unfortunately it falls apart from there. The rest of it is a fairly directionless mess that focuses much more on force mysteries than anything else. I didn't find the antagonist fairly compelling (or well motivated) and the whole journey just gets dull.

8: Jedi Consular: This story is much like the Sith Inquisitor story in that it is a story centered on jedi mysteries, but without the redeeming first chapter. It's confusing and boring without any really compelling characters. It's a mess really.

The order of which you play the stories may have some impact to your enjoyment of them, if nothing else because the shared content (which is a majority, ie the general planetary story lines) gets a bit old after a while. So for the sake of full disclosure, here is the order in which I played the story lines:

Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior, Smuggler (unsure about the order on SW and Smuggler though), Trooper, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular.

Another thing, if you're intending to play the expansion (which is all shared story content btw, no more individual class stories) and also intend to play the Jedi Knight story at some point, I'd recommend playing the Jedi Knight story before completing Makeb on any imperial character.

Edit: Sorry for the long off topic post, I got confused and thought this was the SWTOR topic.

Edited by Spider
  • Like 1

Gotta agree with Oerwinde. I stopped playing swtor because I found the overall gameplay and filler quests pretty boring. I would also buy a single player experience if they repackaged it that way. I liked the story portions of the game, but it just took so long to get to them.

• Like 2

Yeah, I enjoyed playing through all the prologues, which were a bit shorter and more story centric.  That's what I would recommend for most people, even non-mmo fans.  I lost interest in most of them during Act I, and the few I did finish I lost interest early in Act 2.   

I can't let this go without disagreement. I found it unbearable.

You ran into huge issues on Tatooine's plot, IIRC, didn't you?

That was the game stopper, yes. Found it to be rather tedious prior to that. I enjoyed comparing it to a cross between a game show and those old ads in comic books where a beach bully kicks sand on the guy.

Lacked any motivation in either narrative it was dragging around. The Great Hunt was bizarrely complicated setup for just killing some dudes. And the antagonist was petty, acted like a high school bully with a gun. I'm not even sure what his problem was.

Definitely. When I played with friends it was much more enjoyable, but its hard trying to schedule gaming sessions with friends as we get older. We usually end up playing a quick game of Left4Dead2 before calling it a night. 

I probably would've played swtor a lot if it had come out during my college days. 

Edited by Azure79

that's been my problem with SWTOR, I am enjoying the story, but the MMO gameplay is just so boring. I quit shortly after getting my apprentice in the Sith Warrior run. I just couldn't be bothered to slug through it for the story anymore. If they took the game, and redid the gameplay with single player in mind, and sold it for full price again, I would probably buy it.

Yep. Absolutely terrible gameplay, especially after giving it a try after Ages of Conan and TERA.

I had a similar experience -  it actually felt similar to DA2 to some extent - like I was being shuttled from cutscene to cutscene only needing to press the "attack" button in succession enough times to reach the next one. :-/  I've tried several times to get back into it, because STAR WARS, but I've yet to finish a single character.

• 2 weeks later...

An M rating is a foregone conclusion at this point. Both previous titles were also M.

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Language, Sexual Content, Violence 

Rating Summary:

This is an action-adventure role-playing game in which players assume the role of a warrior who completes quests in a mythical land. Players use swords, bows and arrows, and magical spells (e.g., fireballs, energy beams) to defeat human-like enemies and fantasy creatures (e.g., giant spiders, demons, ogres, golems). Attacks are often accompanied by slashing sounds, large explosions, and cries of pain. Blood splatter effects occur when enemies are hit, and damage sometimes results in dismemberment or decapitation—blood stains and body parts occasionally appear in the environment. In one cutscene, a man's severed head is held up then tossed to the ground. During the course of the game, characters sometimes engage in sexual dialogue (e.g., 'Why is it always about sex with you?' and 'Sailing is like sex. Do it wrong, and it'll make you sick.'). Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male-female or same-sex) are shown kissing and embracing one another in a bedroom as the screen fades to black. In one cutscene, a woman kneels in front of a male character and appears to perform fellatio—there is no depiction of the sex act; the camera pans out to the rest of the room. The words 'a*s,' 'bastard,' and 'sh*t' appear in dialogue.

Dragon Age 2 description from ESBR rating page.

Wait, what? There was a blowjob? Also "Sailing is like sex. Do it wrong, and it'll make you sick." first time I heard of this one.

There was implied oral sex between two NPCs. Almost a running gag really, since DAO had it too.

DA2 drew more attention to it.

Looks like DAI will be even more like Twitcher.

I wonder how they will make dwarf sex tasteful? :dancing:

Anal.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

There was implied oral sex between two NPCs. Almost a running gag really, since DAO had it too.

I remember that there where sex scenes in both of them and I remember them being very awkward, must have forgotten about the bjs.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I remember that there where sex scenes in both of them and I remember them being very awkward, must have forgot about the bjs.

In DAO, it's in Arl Howe's mansion. A guard and a lady. If you walk in on them while disguised, he blows your cover.

In DA2, it's in Sebastian's personal quest. It's a guy with an elf servant. Sebastian comments that the guy used to be a prude.

• Like 1