Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

I do believe Mr Gaider (and most of the modern world) has forgotten the value of dignified silence, insulting ones potential market is hardly a smart passtime, especially when one must use sarcasm the acknowledged lowest form of wit. Still one supposes that such venting is necessary to negate the recent criticisms of Biowares work, though personally so long as i'm still recieving a salary i'm satisfied that my work is quite good enough.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I can't see how Gaider is insulting his potential market.

The kind of "fan" being discussed is either never going to buy the game (because they don't like him, bioware, bioware's games, bioware's current direction, puppies, whatever)

OR

They're going to buy the game despite claims that bioware ruined their life and kicked their puppy and stole their kittens and then complain how the new game stole their puppy and brought back their kittens by kicking them all the way down the street.

In other words, he's not really insulting the audience that'd actually either already want to buy a Bioware game (they wouldn't see themselves in what he said) or they'd be willing to look at any specific game and evaluate that game on its merits (which means what a dev says is irrelevant to their experience).

also, some people have a sense of humor. :)

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sure, that's David's twitter. I have no problem with David criticizing the use of words. I have done the same at times.

Why am I the only one that makes fun of the popular usage of "lore?" I went through that list just hoping it would be there.

So alone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sure, that's David's twitter. I have no problem with David criticizing the use of words. I have done the same at times.

Why am I the only one that makes fun of the popular usage of "lore?" I went through that list just hoping it would be there.

So alone.

What's the popular usage of "lore"?

I like making fun of the word "immersion" myself.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So alone.

What's the popular usage of "lore"?

Ye olde story.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Idk, for me Gaider only came across as immature in those tweets. I understand venting, but doing that in a public place which directly influences your job seems stupid, to say the least. In the end, he only showed that he isn't willing to own up to his own/teams mistakes.

The problem with DA:I is that since Awakening they where pumping the whole "your choices matter" thing and now that they went back on that, they are surprised that people are put off by it. I won't even go in to the whole mess of gameplay "problems" they made, by making the console their priority platform, but it's worth saying that if they continue down this path, they should stop advertising DA as an true rpg.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

by making the console their priority platform, but it's worth saying that if they continue down this path, they should stop advertising DA as an true rpg.

So only games developed for PCs first are "true RPGs"?

• Like 1

I want to be a drake

It helps my immersion into the lore

I always found the best way to immerse myself is to just simply jump in a lake or a river.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can't see how Gaider is insulting his potential market.

The kind of "fan" being discussed is either never going to buy the game (because they don't like him, bioware, bioware's games, bioware's current direction, puppies, whatever)

OR

They're going to buy the game despite claims that bioware ruined their life and kicked their puppy and stole their kittens and then complain how the new game stole their puppy and brought back their kittens by kicking them all the way down the street.

In other words, he's not really insulting the audience that'd actually either already want to buy a Bioware game (they wouldn't see themselves in what he said) or they'd be willing to look at any specific game and evaluate that game on its merits (which means what a dev says is irrelevant to their experience).

also, some people have a sense of humor. :)

Maybe i'm misinterpreting the intent of those twitter notices and they're not defenses against what are in my opinion valid criticisms of some of Biowares latest output (weak characters, illogical narrative, poor prose, lifeless theatre of conflict, cinematics over agency etcetera, etcetera,) I thought that they were pointed barbs aimed at peoples complaints and their supposedly poor understanding of English, and thus not a smart way to engender consumer goodwill. If that was not the case then I openly apologise, however other consumers on the fence such as myself might see this the same way and Bioware presumably wants as many customers swayed to purchase as possible.

Still don't find such broad humour particularly palatable, but that's a matter of personal taste.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So only games developed for PCs first are "true RPGs"?

Nope, but the main gripes people have with DA2 are directly caused by switching the priority platform, the major one of them being the camera angle and party control.

To elaborate further, the first console version was partly hack and slash as it did not have auto attack. I also feel that it caused the dumbing down of companions gameplay wise. The inventory was also castrated, as it was pretty hard to navigate through it with a controller in DA:O. I had more gripes then these but to be honest I forgot them, I haven't played DA2 since it came out.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting the intent of those twitter notices and they're not defenses against what are in my opinion valid criticisms of some of Biowares latest output (weak characters, illogical narrative, poor prose, lifeless theatre of conflict, cinematics over agency etcetera, etcetera,) I thought that they were pointed barbs aimed at peoples complaints and their supposedly poor understanding of English, and thus not a smart way to engender consumer goodwill. If that was not the case then I openly apologise, however other consumers on the fence such as myself might see this the same way and Bioware presumably wants as many customers swayed to purchase as possible.

Still don't find such broad humour particularly palatable, but that's a matter of personal taste.

He himself stated that he was venting because he quit smoking, so no you didn't misunderstand anything.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Oh that one....

Here you go: "Something I dislike about the experience that I am not really able to apply a more applicable word to."

I find its usage to pretty much be that catch all for "I don't like something because <reasons [which may or may not be good ones]> and I'd like to add in one more thing for extra weight to my argument."  It's a pretty nebulous and personal term I find, so understanding what any individual person means by immersion is not that easy, IMO.

I thought that they were pointed barbs aimed at peoples complaints and their supposedly poor understanding of English

I think how one interprets them is often influenced by the preexisting opinions someone has of either Gaider and/or BioWare, as well, however.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

To be honest I was not aware of the gentleman until recently, though I may have heard of him and simply forgot as tends to happen all too frequently lately.

Tea for the teapot!

tumblr_mrw65rMa8H1rrrleuo1_1280.jpg

I thought that they were pointed barbs aimed at peoples complaints and their supposedly poor understanding of English

I think how one interprets them is often influenced by the preexisting opinions someone has of either Gaider and/or BioWare, as well, however.

I suspect there's a gap between people who spend a large amount of time on the BSN and those who don't.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I took it as a take on Ambrose Bierce's DEVIL'S DICTIONARY -

ACADEME, n. An ancient school where morality and philosophy were taught.

ACADEMY, n. [from ACADEME] A modern school where football is taught.

HOMICIDE, n. The slaying of one human being by another. There are four kinds of homocide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy, but it makes no great difference to the person slain whether he fell by one kind or another—the classification is for advantage of the lawyers.

IGNORAMUS, n. A person unacquainted with certain kinds of knowledge familiar to yourself, and having certain other kinds that you know nothing about.

MIRACLE, n. An act or event out of the order of nature and unaccountable, as beating a normal hand of four kings and an ace with four aces and a king.

PHYSICIAN, n. One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well.

ROAD, n. A strip of land along which one may pass from where it is too tiresome to be to where it is futile to go.

SELFISH, adj. Devoid of consideration for the selfishness of others.

TELEPHONE, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.

YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.

etc. - but with connotations more used in RPG/gaming forums.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

Now that humour I do find palatable, but then again I don't think Mr Gaider himself would say his prose is anywhere near Mr Bierce's level, well certainly not from what I read of the Stolen Throne, no offense.

Edit: That horse is humongous.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Looking at some of the full twitter conversations, some (definitely not all) of the stuff he posted were reposts from other twitter users.

Edited by Amentep