Dragon Age: Inquisition

DA > BG

Anyone who thinks BG had more tatical  and stategical combat to either D is fooling themselves. I mean BG fighters had no combat options at all while DA series warriors had all sorts of abilities.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Let's get back on track, ****suckers. Oh, wait...

I thought you meant "press sneak ****s".

Well, that was the first thing I could think that could get both gays and women in a tiffy. In my defence, I was on a train.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think the line should always be drawn at using terms that are objectional in the eyes of the whole world, such as "french."

• Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just to be clear, when I called Anders a murdering **** the intention of that was not to make reference to any sort of sexual proclivities in case a reference to an **** might lead one to think along those lines.  For the record, the asterisks didn't represent ****, ****, ****sucker, ****, mother****er, ****, ****, bitch or any other kind of thing that referenced gender or sexual orientation.  I just used the term to refer to Anders as a right bastard without saying the actual term "right bastard" (with no intention on this reflecting the legitimacy of his issue but just that he was a "bad dude who should feel guilty and ashamed and he reflects badly on kitten lovers (not in that sense, get your minds out of the gutter) everywhere).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

DA > BG

Anyone who thinks BG had more tatical  and stategical combat to either D is fooling themselves. I mean BG fighters had no combat options at all while DA series warriors had all sorts of abilities.

Combat abilities or their absence don't determine tactical or strategic level of games combat.

Combat is tactical if you need sequence of decision in right order to be succesful in it. Abilities give your more options when you make your decisions, but if you always win the combat regardless what options you picked and regardless of order where you picked them, then combat has actually very little of tactical depth in it. This is not case in DA:O, which has quite good tactical depth in its combat, but DA2's combats tactical depth is nearly nonexistent.

Strategic combat means that you there is need to think ahead to next possible combat or how you can get out from place where you are without dying. So abilities that you can use in every combat don't add any strategic depth in the game, as from strategic view they are always in place for you to use, but if you have limited uses per rest abilities then they have at least some strategic meaning, because you can't necessary rely on them in the combat. In crpgs one biggest strategic element is you ability to heal wounds between fights. Also ability get new consumables and how much you need to use them is quite big part of strategic depth of crpg combat.

So significance of combat abilities to make combat more strategic or tactical depend on how they are realized in the game.

In my opinion BG and DA:O are quite equal in that how much tactical and strategic know-how they demand from the player.

• Like 1

Dragon Age Rivalry: Mages versus Templars

Nothing much new. Mostly background fluff.

...if you call a scumbag male a bastard...

The word 'bastard' has nothing to do with being male. It means that your parents weren't married when you were born.

• Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

DA > BG

Fighters have abilities in DA? I'm pretty sure mages do all the work. 

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

DA > BG

Fighters have abilities in DA? I'm pretty sure mages do all the work.

The fighters' abilities are to make the mages do all the work.

Yeah, because my dislike of Philippa and saying her being blinded was deserved was obviously purely based on her being a woman.  It couldn't possibly have anything do do with her being manipulative and murdering people to gain power then leaving innocents to take the fall.

It's amazing how many people like her given that she was arguably the most ruthless and manipulative character in the game. A little cleavage and a lot of charisma go a long way.

Anders darn well better *stay* dead or I'm going to feel very peevish.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, because my dislike of Philippa and saying her being blinded was deserved was obviously purely based on her being a woman.  It couldn't possibly have anything do do with her being manipulative and murdering people to gain power then leaving innocents to take the fall.

It's amazing how many people like her given that she was arguably the most ruthless and manipulative character in the game. A little cleavage and a lot of charisma go a long way.

I think it has more to do with being a quality character. I like Jon Irenicus, as a character, he's well written and excellently voiced; that he screwed a virtual avatar of me over and was not a pleasant person is completely incidental to that. Neither he not Philippa are particularly sympathetic, they're just well written antagonists in a world where most game villains are cackling or moustache twirling cliches.

(Well, arguably both the examples there are cliches too, they just have enough meat on their bones for it not to define them)

• Like 2

I get the feeling that if the Dragon Age franchise continues on its going to turn into Highlander at some point

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Back on topic, I didn't like Anders in any of the games.  Honestly, the only character in DA that I truly liked was Wynne.  Obviously there is no chance of her appearing in DA:I.

My favourite "trio" in DA:O were Sten, Dog and Zevran. At least they were for me the most interesting personalities. They also felt like the least whinging and prone to self-pity ones IIRC, although Wynne might not have been bad in that regard either.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How did dog have an 'interesting' personality? Zevran's personality equaled  slit throat, and Sten was a one dimensional loser with no depth.

Also, anyone who think mages do all the work in DA obviously don't know how to play the game.

You don't always need words to express a personality :)

• Like 1

Even so, Dog's personality was just your typical loyal pet. Now, if he had betrayed you for the Darkspawn because they gave him better doggie biscuits that would have been a sweet twist... or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

• Like 2

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/12/dragon-age-inquisition-s-morrigan-past-and-present.aspx

New Game Informer article, it's about Morrigan. First page is character history, second is what's in store for DA:I.

I'm late to this party but my God, could that article be anymore fawning and unctuous?  What kind of game journalism is this?  Why don't they just let BW write some ad copy and send it in?

Yes, it could be ... hush, your rich parents are influencing what you say.  :grin: Journalism is dead, only opinions are valid now. 

And Seinfeld IRL was right, using swear words is just a crutch under a weak act.    

All Stop. On Screen.

Even so, Dog's personality was just your typical loyal pet. Now, if he had betrayed you for the Darkspawn because they gave him better doggie biscuits that would have been a sweet twist... or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

Ok, granted, he may never make a good romance option, but unflinching loyalty, affection and useful in combat? Come on, what's not to love about such a companion? ;)

He'll fetch your slippers and newspapers too without ever questioning his place or your plans.

You try telling Oghren or Leliana to 'sit' or 'fetch' and they'll probably tell you to stow it.

Edit: Just for comparison, Dog is less likely to drool and have fleas than Oghren, less likely to sing than Leliana, less likely to betray you than Morrighan, less teen angst than the Carth Onassi guy with swords (Alistair was his name?), less likely to consort with demons than Wynne. I would say, he does stack up very well against the competition :biggrin:

• Like 2

He'll fetch your slippers and newspapers too without ever questioning his place or your plans.

...hehehe...sounds more useful than Volo...hehehe... :biggrin:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I get the feeling that if the Dragon Age franchise continues on its going to turn into Highlander at some point
'Cept in Highlander, it's all over if you head's separated from you neck :p
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

Truly the words of a Bioware's fan.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have just one thing to say about the gameplay video. It looks like serious action rpg stuff and I don't like it.

In the famous words of Josh Sawyer, that's what I think about games that try to blend rpg mechanics and action gameplay:  

DhUCI.jpg

Edited by meomao